JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What I have noticed in this thread is that those who are against OC use a lot of 'if's' to support their arguments. Yet the only real data I have is that which I have experienced myself. While I don't go around trying to show off, neither do I try and 'hide' my glock. It sits on my waist every day and is now just second nature. I have never had a problem or have someone react negatively. That may be because seeing others with their guns on their hips is not that unusual an occurrence. I'm quite sure it would be a different situation in Seattle where the locals have approved of a 'gun violence' tax on every gun and each round sold. But then , that is one of the many reasons I stay away from there.;)
So the anti-iffer yammered on ? That was solid! lol

As more and more crimes are deterred by regular citizens with concealed pistols licenses (cpl) according to my readings, mostly in NRA magazine's 'First Freedom', I am wondering what 'if' more/lots of folks carried openly? Would there be less crime? Would there be attempts to take my pistol from me? Would I be more uncomfortable, would others be more uncomfortable? In WA State, I believe open carry is a right to all that haven't lost the right and yet open carry is seldom observed, why? Why do we hide our guns?
I know of one man that did experiment with open carry and reported that it was not a problem...of course who would want to cause a problem to someone carrying a gun...and so perhaps if numerous folks did open carry (oc), more folks would be more courteous and civil?
??? Open Carry Day ??? That has probably already happened? Has it? Where? Results?

Stay safe and have fun,
Joly

I am all for an Open Carry day. As I started this topic to get a simple idea of what OC'ers have experienced I want to thank everyone that has shared. Even those that feel OC is a bad idea because your opinion counts as well. What I am taking away from this that those that have and do open carry find that its not a big deal. That no one runs for the hills to hide while crying to 911 about a man with a gun. As I stated in my first post I CC and am interested in Open carry from time to time. And I feel that's where I will go.

Again thank you for everyone that has shared.

I only carry concealed now. I was on the open carry bandwagon at first until I saw how militant some OC people were, and how they were screwing it all up for the rest of us.
This is why I left the Washington forum of a popular Open Carry website. They had let a bunch of very vocal nutjobs run wild in the forum and just ruin the place. I still OC from time to time though.

This is why I left the Washington forum of a popular Open Carry website. They had let a bunch of very vocal nutjobs run wild in the forum and just ruin the place. I still OC from time to time though.
I know exactly what you're talking about.
I'm a member of that forum and have seen it. The trick is to ignore certain individuals and look at the big picture.
I do believe that particular forum has the best legal understanding.

I know exactly what you're talking about.
I'm a member of that forum and have seen it. The trick is to ignore certain individuals and look at the big picture.
I do believe that particular forum has the best legal understanding.
It just got to be too much. I still communicate with some members I met at OC events. Two of them have become good friends. I may find my way back there eventually.

Last Edited:
This is both entertaining and terrible at the same time. Like I said, someone strapped in the post office. No the law hasn't changed. But people around here don't seem to be interested in "that guy."

This is both entertaining and terrible at the same time. Like I said, someone strapped in the post office. No the law hasn't changed. But people around here don't seem to be interested in "that guy."
I believe the law may have changed. Pay particular attention to subsection (d)(3):

18 U.S.C. § 930 : US Code - Section 930: Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
Search 18 U.S.C. § 930 : US Code - Section 930: Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly
possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous
weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility),
or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned
not more than 1 year, or both.
(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon
be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes
to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal
facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or
imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(c) A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of
subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal
facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon,
or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as
provided in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to -
(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer,
agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political
subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or
supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or
prosecution of any violation of law;
(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a
Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such
possession is authorized by law; or
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons
in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful
purposes.

In Heller, the US Supreme Court held that (1) the District of Columbia's total ban on handgun possession in the home amounted to a prohibition on an entire class of "arms" that Americans overwhelmingly chose for the lawful purpose of self-defense...

I believe any charges brought against someone under US18: Section 930 could be defeated using a "lawful purpose" defense. At the same time, I wouldn't volunteer to be the test case.

The big cities will be less welcoming. Places where everyone is pretty much busy taking care of their own business to worry much about a guy in line at the Post Office is something that fewer and fewer people get the luck to be part of. Much freer and less worried about what your neighbors are doing that doesn't interfere with their daily lives. Guns don't kill anymore than forks make you fat. But what do I know? I'm from the country.

So I was wondering who here open carry's? I have my CHL but at times I would just prefer to open carry my pistol.

My biggest concern is the total freak outs calling the police on me. I wouldn't be breaking any laws but I just know some would freak out and call the cops.

So I was curious if any here actually carry's open. I'm not trying to get in the debate of open vs conceal carry. I am just curious if there are those like me that sometimes don't feel like carrying concealed.

Bet you're in your twenties or thirties.

It would be tactless to open carry, even in states that allow it. I cringe when I see someone open carry on YouTube. You prove nothing and gain the hatred of the police. You scare people, which produces nothing except more scared people. You cause restaurants to refuse you service, thus making the place unsafe with a "no guns allowed" signs put up. Not only that, when you open carry, "you" become a target. True story: a guy was open carrying a revolver on his side, when a guy came up to him and said, "I like your gun, hand it over." The guy also had a gun, which he was not open carrying it. He stuck the guy up and took his gun! No, it's foolish to open carry. If killers came into the mall and pulled out semi auto rifles from their cases, who do you think they would target first---that's right, you, the open carry guy. You may not see them and you're dead. Or if you do see them, how good is your revolver against say three guy with AK-47's? They will all definitely open up on you first.

No, it's better to conceal carry. That way you have the upper hand and you won't be singled out and also thrown out of small businesses. You can hide and shoot. But please, whatever you do, don't yell out, "Drop your rifle or I'll shoot." Another true story: a guy, shop owner, saw this guy with a semi rifle shooting people. He pulled his 9mm handgun and aimed at the nutcase. The nutcase had his back towards him, perfect. He should have shot him, instead he say's "Drop your rifle or I'll shoot." The guy spins around and shoots his rifle, with perfect precision. The idiot ship-owner is now forever in a wheelchair. End of story.

I think exercising the right will help us retain that right there are uses for open carry but more so it is important to keep that right active. However I seldom ever open carry I have in my past in other professions open carried but I find that the deterrent is just not there instead I am standing in line and all eyes are on the man with the shoulder holster open carrying his 9mm mean while I have my LE issue Sig40sw concealed and no one is the wiser. Id rather be me not that guy. But I do respect his choice to open I just do not like the attention I see from others.
Most sheriffs here carry off duty and they conceal when I asked they said the element to respond not react is on their side concealing I tend to agree.

Minor point, OC of a holstered hand gun in Wal Mart is significantly different than OC of a long gun of any kind in Wal Mart, even though we know there is really no difference unless it's used illegally. The fear factor for the unknowing public in reality is completely different between the two. One tends to be quite normal, while the long gun just isn't seen as normal activity unless it's cased. Here in Eugene we have a store that was at Valley River Center, a mall, it was a continual problem for them, so much so that they relocated, parking was another reason but one of the major factors was all the BS they and their customers had to deal with, and they were outside the main mall with a great big sign. Stupid but a factor.

Minor point, OC of a holstered hand gun in Wal Mart is significantly different than OC of a long gun of any kind in Wal Mart, even though we know there is really no difference unless it's used illegally. The fear factor for the unknowing public in reality is completely different between the two. One tends to be quite normal, while the long gun just isn't seen as normal activity unless it's cased. Here in Eugene we have a store that was at Valley River Center, a mall, it was a continual problem for them, so much so that they relocated, parking was another reason but one of the major factors was all the BS they and their customers had to deal with, and they were outside the main mall with a great big sign. Stupid but a factor.
All great points. !

Yup, apples and oranges to compare an Average OC person to the people that fill up a Starbucks with long guns on thier backs to make a statement.

People that don't OC because they don't want to "scare" people are basically using the same argument as the anti gun people...:rolleyes:

Wanted to add:

There is also a big difference in the reactions you'll get with an OC gun depending on how groomed and dressed you are.

Go in with a hoodie over your head and yes, people will call the cops.

Go in with anything middle class or up (no judgements, I love my hoodies) and you rarely get a look - people don't really look around thier tiny bubbles 99% of the time. That Mom against guns is more worried about her brat kid then what your wearing around your belt...

@PlayboyPenguin:

That Yankee Marshal guy on YouTube participates in some OC thing every 2nd of the month and hasn't had many reactions that I've seen - until he took the Desert Eagle out for a spin I think.

Not that I would watch that channel or anything :p

Except in the comments section someone already asked an important (rhetorical) question:
"Surely the million dollar question is whether either of the two criminals passed a background check before stealing the firearm."

I support CC and OC, as long as one is affable, humble, and is not prone to anger.
I don't mind if you have drink or two, while carrying a firearm no greater than an unmounted 50 cal. Know your limit.

I see carrying a firearm in your daily life akin to driving a car. There are many people who have a beer after work and drive home. I see no difference with a firearm. Until you are determined irresponsible, like a DUI (or in this case Carrying while Under the Influence), be kind and fair, and carry often.

+1 to Oregon.

Last Edited:
Bet you're in your twenties or thirties.

It would be tactless to open carry, even in states that allow it. I cringe when I see someone open carry on YouTube. You prove nothing and gain the hatred of the police. You scare people, which produces nothing except more scared people. You cause restaurants to refuse you service, thus making the place unsafe with a "no guns allowed" signs put up. Not only that, when you open carry, "you" become a target. True story: a guy was open carrying a revolver on his side, when a guy came up to him and said, "I like your gun, hand it over." The guy also had a gun, which he was not open carrying it. He stuck the guy up and took his gun! No, it's foolish to open carry. If killers came into the mall and pulled out semi auto rifles from their cases, who do you think they would target first---that's right, you, the open carry guy. You may not see them and you're dead. Or if you do see them, how good is your revolver against say three guy with AK-47's? They will all definitely open up on you first.

No, it's better to conceal carry. That way you have the upper hand and you won't be singled out and also thrown out of small businesses. You can hide and shoot. But please, whatever you do, don't yell out, "Drop your rifle or I'll shoot." Another true story: a guy, shop owner, saw this guy with a semi rifle shooting people. He pulled his 9mm handgun and aimed at the nutcase. The nutcase had his back towards him, perfect. He should have shot him, instead he say's "Drop your rifle or I'll shoot." The guy spins around and shoots his rifle, with perfect precision. The idiot ship-owner is now forever in a wheelchair. End of story.
Oh, please. Are you for real?
Be honest. Have you ever open carried?

Maybe.
We'll just have to see what the investigation may turn up.
To me this demonstrates the importance of situational awareness. If you open carry and you're staring at your feet then bad stuffs gonna happen. It's no different than walking down the street with you're expensive phone in your hand.
Though I practice the same level of awareness regardless of how I'm carrying that day.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top