JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You should take a look at opencarry.org
It's a friendly group and they have lots of info for you.
Though it would be best not to bring up "the element of surprise" over there.
I'm not trying to argue. But try looking at it from my perspective.
Criminals carry concealed. They don't announce themselves. They pull a gun and point it at you. Are you surprised?
There is a cash reward offered to anyone with proof of an open carrier being targeted on the forum I mentioned.
It still had not been claimed. The criteria are simple. The victim must be an open carrier. Not a douche at a gas station with a nylon uncle miles iwb who decided to take his jacket off.
Their must be proof. Not a kid in Portland who claims to have been robbed the day he bought a walther p22. He had no witnesses to corroborate his story and everything about it screamed straw purchase.
There are some other criteria. It's very simple. Proof, open carry, etc. their should be no question of did it really happen.

You should give open carry a chance. I did. I used to be against for the same reasons everyone else is. Then I tried it.
The police never showed up. Nobody ran away screaming. A soccer mom in yoga pants didn't freak out.
Plus it's soooo much more comfortable in the summer.

I should probably clarify what I mean by the 'element of surprise'. What it doesn't mean, is my plan to get a jump on the bad guys "Surprise!, I have a gun!", particularly since I consider my gun my last choice self defense tool. Rather, what I prefer to avoid is the 'surprise' of someone coming after me first, or targeting me, because I have a gun. Let's say a bad guy is about to pull a gun and rob a store and I'm in line with 2 other folks. He comes up behind us, gets in line like he's any other customer, then pulls his gun while announcing his intention to rob the place.

Now I can see 2 things happen here - #1 - he decides not to pull the gun because he sees me carrying and that's a deterrent to him - certainly a legitimate argument. #2 - he pops me in the back to eliminate me as a threat before I even get a chance to respond. While I do my best to maintain situational awareness in public, I simply can't see 360 degrees around myself at all times. And I guess there could be a #3 - an idiot that wants to try an grab my gun from behind. Of course, he would have to be able to grab it while releasing it from a retention holster and do so before I can notice and grab him and stop him.

Either way, I have nothing against those that open carry, save for the very small number that prance around in military garb with a fricken' AR or AK in ready position while going to a restaurant or capitol building. They are glory/attention hounds and have no place in the gun community in my mind. But for those that strap a pistol on their belts and go about their day, I'm perfectly good with it. I watched a guy open a full sized XDM at the Clackamas County Fair this summer. I watched him for quite a while and I don't know that anyone ever paid him a second glance - except for me.

I should probably clarify what I mean by the 'element of surprise'. What it doesn't mean, is my plan to get a jump on the bad guys "Surprise!, I have a gun!", particularly since I consider my gun my last choice self defense tool. Rather, what I prefer to avoid is the 'surprise' of someone coming after me first, or targeting me, because I have a gun. Let's say a bad guy is about to pull a gun and rob a store and I'm in line with 2 other folks. He comes up behind us, gets in line like he's any other customer, then pulls his gun while announcing his intention to rob the place.

Now I can see 2 things happen here - #1 - he decides not to pull the gun because he sees me carrying and that's a deterrent to him - certainly a legitimate argument. #2 - he pops me in the back to eliminate me as a threat before I even get a chance to respond. While I do my best to maintain situational awareness in public, I simply can't see 360 degrees around myself at all times. And I guess there could be a #3 - an idiot that wants to try an grab my gun from behind. Of course, he would have to be able to grab it while releasing it from a retention holster and do so before I can notice and grab him and stop him.

Either way, I have nothing against those that open carry, save for the very small number that prance around in military garb with a fricken' AR or AK in ready position while going to a restaurant or capitol building. They are glory/attention hounds and have no place in the gun community in my mind. But for those that strap a pistol on their belts and go about their day, I'm perfectly good with it. I watched a guy open a full sized XDM at the Clackamas County Fair this summer. I watched him for quite a while and I don't know that anyone ever paid him a second glance - except for me.
We are definitely on the same page. Situational awareness is key but I feel it should be practiced at all times.
There are little things on top of that to help prevent a gun grab. You've already got a retention holster so that's good. I also place my elbow over the gun. It maintains constant contact.
If it's crowded or I'm standing in line I will place my elbow over the backstrap and may turn sideways. Turning sideways I've noticed tends to encourage conversation. People are very curious and live to ask questions. It's a great ice breaker.
Cops also use the elbow check.
On the open carry forum long gun carry is off topic according to the forum rules. They believe it detracts from the purpose of normalizing open carry, the stated purpose of the forum.
And it does freak people out. If I'm being honest I'd be looking for an exit if someone came in looking like they are auditioning for mass shooter of the year.
I'm fine with an 18 year old carrying a rifle if his state doesn't allow adults under 21 to carry a handgun. They have the right to self defense too. I'm from NH so it wasn't an issue for me. I could legally carry a handgun open and concealed at 18.

I live in a nice neighborhood out in the county. I know that response times are slow. My whole neighborhood open carries, especially on established neighborhood watch shifts. We watch out for each other. My state has the highest property crime rates in the country yet my neighborhood is amazingly absent on crime blotters......

Last Edited:
If you open carry and then a rain coat is required, must the coat be tucked around it for it to remain visible? On a similar thought; if I'm Concealed carrying and my shirt rides up and blows a full pistol Monty, m I covered because I'm in an open carry state?

I do not in public. Don't want the negative attention or any attention for that matter. I moved to Oregon 13 years ago and I have never seen anyone open carry anywhere. So, that tells me that very few do so in public. Out in the woods or camping, that is a different situation.

I do not in public. Don't want the negative attention or any attention for that matter. I moved to Oregon 13 years ago and I have never seen anyone open carry anywhere. So, that tells me that very few do so in public. Out in the woods or camping, that is a different situation.

I see it at least weekly. Different cultures I guess

If you open carry and then a rain coat is required, must the coat be tucked around it for it to remain visible? On a similar thought; if I'm Concealed carrying and my shirt rides up and blows a full pistol Monty, m I covered because I'm in an open carry state?

My guess if you have your CHL you are ok either way.

Last Edited:
This is where I am at with it. I don't want an issue with LEO. But I also feel there shouldn't be an issu

My guess if you have your CHL you are ok either way.
In Washington there is no law against OC except in your car. So a lot of OC people get a CPL so that they don't have to unload their sidearm every time they get in a car.

I see it almost daily.

So I was wondering who here open carry's? I have my CHL but at times I would just prefer to open carry my pistol.

My biggest concern is the total freak outs calling the police on me. I wouldn't be breaking any laws but I just know some would freak out and call the cops.

So I was curious if any here actually carry's open. I'm not trying to get in the debate of open vs conceal carry. I am just curious if there are those like me that sometimes don't feel like carrying concealed.
Try a " Sneaky Pete" holster ~~ looks like a large cell phone carrier. No one even pays attention. I carry a g 27 that way all the time when I tuck in a shirt.

I live in the small town of Aberdeen and I always carry. It is on my belt and thus sometimes open and sometimes concealed. It has never even drawn a funny look while I am out and about. It is just not that unusual to see guys who carry in Walmart and they have never said boo to anyone.

I'm surprised that liberal Washington has such great open/concealed laws.. but I like it. better than so many states.. and I carry always so I just don't think about it when I'm out or travelling.. :)

As a second thought. I always have my ccp next to my licence and the one time a cop pulled me over while riding my scoot, I pulled out the licence and the ccp at the same time and handed them to the officer . He asked if I was carrying atm and I said 'Yes Sir" and that was it.. he told me to tone down on the acceleration noise and I said "yes Sir.. ' and that was it. I love small towns.

I have an issue with a few guys I have seen open carrying in my local BiMart...
If your going to open carry, I should not be able to walk up behind you and take your firearm right out of your non retention strap holster!

If your going to open carry, I should not be able to walk up behind you and take your firearm right out of your non retention strap holster!
And they're often standing right next to the hammers or baseball bats.. clueless.

I have to say I wouldn't recommend you trying that. Just because you may think you can just walk up and grab my gun doesn't mean you can. I understand what you are saying about a non retention holster but I know if you tried that on me you wouldn't like the outcome. I pay close attention to who is around me at all times and just because you think you can walk up behind me and I not be aware of where you are doesn't mean I am not aware.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top