JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was wondering who here open carry's? I have my CHL but at times I would just prefer to open carry my pistol.

My biggest concern is the total freak outs calling the police on me. I wouldn't be breaking any laws but I just know some would freak out and call the cops.

So I was curious if any here actually carry's open. I'm not trying to get in the debate of open vs conceal carry. I am just curious if there are those like me that sometimes don't feel like carrying concealed.

If you're looking for comfort, you could wear an OWB holster with a flannel shirt over it. I do this a lot in the winter. You can carry a pretty good sized gun and nobody notices. You could also check out OpenCarry.org for advice. They have forums (fora?) for each state so you can meet local people and hear their experiences.

Camping is of course,all out
Walking the dogs in a somewhat secluded area behind OC Fishermans Marine,I 1/2 arse it..Front pocket,maybe the coat covers it,maybe not.The couple of people I occasionally run into have NRA stickers on their cars.Enough said.
Anywhere else is hidden to the best of my ability.
On a sidenote,my live-in Girlfriend of 9 years didn't even know that I carried until I told her about 2 months ago...

i open carry while hiking/hunting/in the woods or if i'm going to be in my front/backyard working. i have a fairly large back yard and no neighbors in any direction so i'm not worried about having a visit from the local LEO's because a jackolantern neighbor freaked out.
all other times...concealed.

Camping is of course,all out
Walking the dogs in a somewhat secluded area behind OC Fishermans Marine,I 1/2 arse it..Front pocket,maybe the coat covers it,maybe not.The couple of people I occasionally run into have NRA stickers on their cars.Enough said.
Anywhere else is hidden to the best of my ability.
On a sidenote,my live-in Girlfriend of 9 years didn't even know that I carried until I told her about 2 months ago...
Your girlfriend is 9? Dude...

:D

I occasionally open carry. Used to OC a lot more. I have never had the cops called, nor have they come up to me on the street or anywhere in public and ask about the gun. I have asked them - when I called them for other issues - about OC regulations in their municipalities (before I had a CHL) - but that's it. Been contacted a number of times by deputies or troopers while fishing/shooting/camping - the gun has never been an issue.

I OC 99% of the time when I'm camping or fishing or hiking. A pistol is no good when it's inside your waders.

The only time i do is sometimes when i am camping. Other then that i choose not to draw any attention to it.
Me too I CHL daily all day. But open when I am camping, hiking etc I open.
Don't care if and when others do, I just prefer CHL regularly .

Your girlfriend is 9? Dude...

:D

If someone said that to me at work,I could reply to that with a pretty "witty" comment,but I'm sure we can all imagine what it would say..and it's unappropriate for a non-truck shop environment.
So there ya go!
(No,my girlfriend is NOT 9 years of age)

all i know is in my experience here in marion county and over east while hunting the local LEO whether it be city, county, state/fish and game all seem to hold CHL holders to a higher standard than the rest of the general public IMO. i dont mind one bit talkin to LEOs when i have my gun. nothin but good things to say.

I will remove the covering garment if I'm somewhere and want to be more comfortable. Sitting down In a restaurant, for instance. I am unobtrusive, gun side toward the wall, quick slip off the jacket and sit! Not going for a statement, just eating my lunch in comfort!:cool:

I open carry all the time.
Never had an issue. Only positive encounters with Citizens and Public Servants alike.
If you'd really like to learn about what goes on in the day of an open carrier take a look at opencarry.org
They also have state specific sub forums. Just about every state on there had an open carry report. It's just members reporting what happened lately while open carrying.

Like a few of the other responders , I open carry while hunting , at the range or a shooting event.
Otherwise I carry concealed.
If I may put in a shameless plug ... I urge all my shooting friends to get a carry permit , even if they never plan to carry.
I feel that its a good idea , because if you do not exercise your rights or privileges , they tend to disappear.
Andy

Last Edited:
Concealed here. I've thought about trying it around town, but haven't done it yet. I do have two OWB holsters, I just don't know that I want to deal with the hassle if that one person freaks out and calls the cops - even though I'd be doing nothing wrong, I don't want that kind of attention. And, I am also one that prefers to maintain the element of surprise - I don't want someone coming up behind me and trying to grab it. Out in the woods, camping, that's a different story, OC all day long. Oh, and occasionally on my own property/driveway.

Concealed here. I've thought about trying it around town, but haven't done it yet. I do have two OWB holsters, I just don't know that I want to deal with the hassle if that one person freaks out and calls the cops - even though I'd be doing nothing wrong, I don't want that kind of attention. And, I am also one that prefers to maintain the element of surprise - I don't want someone coming up behind me and trying to grab it. Out in the woods, camping, that's a different story, OC all day long. Oh, and occasionally on my own property/driveway.
You should take a look at opencarry.org
It's a friendly group and they have lots of info for you.
Though it would be best not to bring up "the element of surprise" over there.
I'm not trying to argue. But try looking at it from my perspective.
Criminals carry concealed. They don't announce themselves. They pull a gun and point it at you. Are you surprised?
There is a cash reward offered to anyone with proof of an open carrier being targeted on the forum I mentioned.
It still had not been claimed. The criteria are simple. The victim must be an open carrier. Not a douche at a gas station with a nylon uncle miles iwb who decided to take his jacket off.
Their must be proof. Not a kid in Portland who claims to have been robbed the day he bought a walther p22. He had no witnesses to corroborate his story and everything about it screamed straw purchase.
There are some other criteria. It's very simple. Proof, open carry, etc. their should be no question of did it really happen.

You should give open carry a chance. I did. I used to be against for the same reasons everyone else is. Then I tried it.
The police never showed up. Nobody ran away screaming. A soccer mom in yoga pants didn't freak out.
Plus it's soooo much more comfortable in the summer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top