JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have to say I wouldn't recommend you trying that. Just because you may think you can just walk up and grab my gun doesn't mean you can. I understand what you are saying about a non retention holster but I know if you tried that on me you wouldn't like the outcome. I pay close attention to who is around me at all times and just because you think you can walk up behind me and I not be aware of where you are doesn't mean I am not aware.

Sorry no offense meant..
I'm not a criminal, and I have my own pistol concealed.

If I was going to try it on someone. They wouldn't know what hit them!o_O

A lot of this comes down to attitude. Being in South Central Oregon (Klamath) seeing guns isn't strange. I carry concealed daily. However, with a ranch/farm and over 100 acres (outside of town), a gun is just another thing I put in or attach to my pants. Like others, I am hyper aware when I open carry. So concealed is much less vigilance, sort of. Here, I've even open carried into the Sheriff's office and they, like me, didn't think twice about it.

Of course I'm now 64 and part of the community and just don't represent a threat open or concealed.

My gun is on one side and my Leatherman is on the other side. Just part of getting dressed.

I live in the small town of Aberdeen and I always carry. It is on my belt and thus sometimes open and sometimes concealed. It has never even drawn a funny look while I am out and about. It is just not that unusual to see guys who carry in Walmart and they have never said boo to anyone.

I'm surprised that liberal Washington has such great open/concealed laws.. but I like it. better than so many states.. and I carry always so I just don't think about it when I'm out or travelling.. :)
How can you tell a funny from a normal look in Aberdeen?

So I was wondering who here open carry's? I have my CHL but at times I would just prefer to open carry my pistol.

My biggest concern is the total freak outs calling the police on me. I wouldn't be breaking any laws but I just know some would freak out and call the cops.

So I was curious if any here actually carry's open. I'm not trying to get in the debate of open vs conceal carry. I am just curious if there are those like me that sometimes don't feel like carrying concealed.
To open carry does nothing but scare a lot of people (because this isn't the wild west anymore) and brings anti gun cops down on your head. Many of the cops are good cops, so why give them a hard time? The point is, I always have a gun on me, it just isn't seen. No problems that way.
Sifu

To open carry does nothing but scare a lot of people (because this isn't the wild west anymore) and brings anti gun cops down on your head. Many of the cops are good cops, so why give them a hard time? The point is, I always have a gun on me, it just isn't seen. No problems that way.
Sifu

You have no idea what you are talking about. Please explain how the lawful carry of a firearm gives cops a "hard time".

Last Edited:
Sifu
Have you ever open carried?

"Scare a lot of people"?

What kind of people?

People who become all vocal and hostile because someone is in the Piggly-Wiggly checkout lane with a gun on his/her hip? Minding their own business and not threatening anyone in any way, shape or form? This person is willing to claim fear? Perhaps the problem is (In Clinton's own words) it depends on the definition of fear. For me and probably most reasonable and level headed people, I would define it as the feeling one might get when we find ourselves unexpectedly in the worst part of town at night with 20-30 young (pick any minority) people hanging around. Just as they start to come toward your car, THAT is fear. Even this isn't necessarily reasonable fear either.

Fear is not seeing an individual with something you personally don't approve of that is legal to own. Additionally the person doesn't even notice you are in the building and the building is full of other people that are not in fear of this person standing in line.

People claim fear of all kinds of nonsense. Barring real mental illness, this kind of fear is offensive. I spent 15 years in a wheelchair. Heard more than one person express fear over me being in a wheelchair. The OC guy standing in front of me in line at the Post Office today didn't even get a mention or notice.

How do we get these "nice people" to understand that the guy in line at the grocery store with a gun on his hip isn't the bad guy.

"Scare a lot of people"?

What kind of people?

People who become all vocal and hostile because someone is in the Piggly-Wiggly checkout lane with a gun on his/her hip? Minding their own business and not threatening anyone in any way, shape or form? This person is willing to claim fear? Perhaps the problem is (In Clinton's own words) it depends on the definition of fear. For me and probably most reasonable and level headed people, I would define it as the feeling one might get when we find ourselves unexpectedly in the worst part of town at night with 20-30 young (pick any minority) people hanging around. Just as they start to come toward your car, THAT is fear. Even this isn't necessarily reasonable fear either.

Fear is not seeing an individual with something you personally don't approve of that is legal to own. Additionally the person doesn't even notice you are in the building and the building is full of other people that are not in fear of this person standing in line.

People claim fear of all kinds of nonsense. Barring real mental illness, this kind of fear is offensive. I spent 15 years in a wheelchair. Heard more than one person express fear over me being in a wheelchair. The OC guy standing in front of me in line at the Post Office today didn't even get a mention or notice.

How do we get these "nice people" to understand that the guy in line at the grocery store with a gun on his hip isn't the bad guy.
There was a guy OC'ing in the post office?
Did something change recently in federal law?

i open carried for political reasons ~15-25 times my Kimber OWB in Portland in such places as Fred Meyer, New Seasons, Whole Foods, Powells, Home Depot. Never had a problem with a store employee, customer, or had the police called. When you OC you really notice that 90% of the public are so oblivious to what is around them...

I don't open carry anymore unless I'm in the woods. It is too stressful to monitor all the people around me. My thinking has also shifted towards the OC practice potentially making more enemies of the 2A (here in Portland) , as irrational as that is for someone to do.

.When you OC you really notice that 90% of the public are so oblivious to what is around them...
True true. And then the other 10% that have essentially spent their entire lives institutionalized have developed some savantish spidey sense that allows them to instantly see your gun from a mile away as if it was/is a shiny solid gold opportunity/challenge to see how well a brick will bounce off yer swaggering grape.

People keep saying that. Yet it has never happened. There is always doubt as to whether it really happened as there is never proof.

I only carry concealed now. I was on the open carry bandwagon at first until I saw how militant some OC people were, and how they were screwing it all up for the rest of us.

I like to stay concealed except for when I'm in the woods, hunting, camping, etc. If you open carry elsewhere and a Bad Guy with a Gun shows up, your likely to be the first target!

I do not believe this to be true, mainly because there's absolutely no empirical evidence to support the statement.

I've started to OC more lately, not to look big and bad or to show off. My hope is, the more people see others like us OC in normal everyday settings, the less of a big deal it'll be.
I OC at WinCo the other day and only a couple of people (that I saw) even noticed I was carrying. I did get a nod and smile from one gentleman so that was nice. :)

I do not believe this to be true, mainly because there's absolutely no empirical evidence to support the statement.
Hasn't there been recent walk-ins into Federal buildings (naval yard.. yada yada) and whatnot and the first person assassinated is the front-line boy(s) so as to then pop the fishes? What?

As more and more crimes are deterred by regular citizens with concealed pistols licenses (cpl) according to my readings, mostly in NRA magazine's 'First Freedom', I am wondering what 'if' more/lots of folks carried openly? Would there be less crime? Would there be attempts to take my pistol from me? Would I be more uncomfortable, would others be more uncomfortable? In WA State, I believe open carry is a right to all that haven't lost the right and yet open carry is seldom observed, why? Why do we hide our guns?
I know of one man that did experiment with open carry and reported that it was not a problem...of course who would want to cause a problem to someone carrying a gun...and so perhaps if numerous folks did open carry (oc), more folks would be more courteous and civil?
??? Open Carry Day ??? That has probably already happened? Has it? Where? Results?

Stay safe and have fun,
Joly

What I have noticed in this thread is that those who are against OC use a lot of 'if's' to support their arguments. Yet the only real data I have is that which I have experienced myself. While I don't go around trying to show off, neither do I try and 'hide' my glock. It sits on my waist every day and is now just second nature. I have never had a problem or have someone react negatively. That may be because seeing others with their guns on their hips is not that unusual an occurrence. I'm quite sure it would be a different situation in Seattle where the locals have approved of a 'gun violence' tax on every gun and each round sold. But then , that is one of the many reasons I stay away from there.;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top