JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have worked up some loads to test with Vihtavuori N150. 35gr-37.5 pushing Sierra 140 MK. COL 79mm. Using Swedish military surplus wood practice rounds cases.
Firearms:
M38's
& M96's

View attachment 614917

^^ :s0122: Of the rifles. ;)

Wow, glad this came up again. A lot of good info here. I'd totally forgot I started this thread. I haven't had a chance to load anything for this rifle yet. As seldom as I get a chance to shoot, and adding a couple more old rifles to the stable. Well, that's how it goes.

Is it me, or is the sweed just really easy to load for? I popped open the book and looked at the data and settled on a good powder and charge wt and hornady bullets and it just shot excellent. My Carl Gustav is one of my favorites, and since the op is begging for pics, here goes:
Fa3Xa1J.jpg
NoNGiRN.jpg
eDTzIOm.jpg
kFpBYRq.jpg
pERM6Jw.jpg
The story goes like this. I bought this carl gustav m96 because I didn't have a military rifle for a shoot we were having at the club. I bought it the day before the shoot, bought a few boxes of ammo and took said rifle to shoot. ron from here was there, he remembers that day. There were actually a lot of guys there that I had't seen before. They were using souped up m1 garands. From what I gathered, purchesed from the CMP and fixed up a little. Rifles in the "$3000,00" range, if I heard them right. Anyway, I didn't know these guys, or their skill level. When I saw the father (he had a son there shooting his fancy CMP garand as well) shoot a 1 1/2" 5 shot group with that garand, I figured I better shoot right handed in this event, these guys meant business!!!! Long story short, I was the high overall score winner that day, with my very newly purchased m96. This Carl Gustav is always going to have a special place in my heart.....

Last Edited:
Is it me, or is the sweed just really easy to load for? I popped open the book and looked at the data and settled on a good powder and charge wt and hornady bullets and it just shot excellent. My Carl Gustav is one of my favorites, and since the op is begging for pics, here goes:
View attachment 615096
View attachment 615097
View attachment 615098
View attachment 615099
View attachment 615102
The story goes like this. I bought this carl gustav m96 because I didn't have a military rifle for a shoot we were having at the club. I bought it the day before the shoot, bought a few boxes of ammo and took said rifle to shoot. ron from here was there, he remembers that day. There were actually a lot of guys there that I had't seen before. They were using souped up m1 garands. From what I gathered, purchesed from the CMP and fixed up a little. Rifles in the "$3000,00" range, if I heard them right. Anyway, I didn't know these guys, or their skill level. When I saw the father (he had a son there shooting his fancy CMP garand as well) shoot a 1 1/2" 5 shot group with that garand, I figured I better shoot right handed in this event, these guys meant business!!!! Long story short, I was the high overall score winner that day, with my very newly purchased m96. This Carl Gustav is always going to have a special place in my heart.....
Why don't you give those guys a break next time and shoot left-handed?

Why don't you give those guys a break next time and shoot left-handed?
I switch back and forth. Shoot scoped rifle left handed and depending on who I'm shooting against, either left or right handed for irons...:p Those guys meant business that day. Sometimes you just got to bring on your A game and be prepared for anything...

^^ :s0122: Of the rifles. ;)

Wow, glad this came up again. A lot of good info here. I'd totally forgot I started this thread. I haven't had a chance to load anything for this rifle yet. As seldom as I get a chance to shoot, and adding a couple more old rifles to the stable. Well, that's how it goes.
Ok Mike, I posted some pics. Are you happy now?

cN2OdDD.jpg
Here ^^^^^^ I have 2 of my 6.5's. One on the right hand side of the bench and the other on the left..

gVl42Gb.jpg
Sweed against creed...^^^^^:D

I have loaded the old swede and it in my opinion shares many characteristic with my 7x57s. I do not think there are two cartridges that are as perfect for deer size game. Thry seem to hit the sweet spot. I have found that imr 4320 or 4350 burn about perfect in these two calibers. I currently use a 7x57 but either csrtridge in a properly sethp rifle would make me smile on opening day of deer season

Thanks @bsa1917hunter, I love that stock. That's something about those Swede's, a lot of different grains and colors in the different woods they used over the years. And good story. You must have better eyes than mine. Even with my corrective lenses I can't see that bullseye very well. I've been shooting at 75', and that helps. I zeroed in the new to me M1 tuesday. It did pretty good i think.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top