JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had @Velzey build me a 6.5x55 on a 1903-a3 springfield. I am now trying to load ammo fbut don't have hornady's 11th reloading manual. I will be ordering this coming payday. In the meantime I would like to load some ammo. I have IMR and Hodgon 4350 and 4831. Could I get someone to post min and max loads.with these two powders. I would also like some thoughts on using this bullet in the swede for hunting muledeer. Thank you in advance

Like this? Slightly out of date 11th edition 2006. All I have with me right now brother. @Mikej Loads 6.5x55 I think...

Obviously a different projectile but perhaps food for thought. I have a hornady manual but it's in storage I'm out of town right now.

1000002644.jpg

Hornady 147g is a new bullet it's about as heavy a bullet as I want my swede to push
.I consider the 7x57 and the 6.5x56 to be about perfect for deer. One can always go bigger but to me these two hit a sweet spot. IMHO

Like this? Slightly out of date 11th edition 2006. All I have with me right now brother. @Mikej Loads 6.5x55 I think...
I do indeed. All I know is I chose a couple of powders from the book, H-4895 and IMR 4064, and been loading 123gr and 140gr bullets. The 123gr over 37gr 4064 with what I think is good results below? I sold the 4895 and kept the 4064. A lot of info on loading 6.5 swede on gunboards.com. I would think that 03-A3 would handle 50,000 cup? Most of my reading has people not loading much over 140gr pills. I also saw a few who use all the way to Relaoder-22. I'd think that H-4350 would be a great powder to load.

I wanted to get out to100, but needed to scope it to do it.

1685889839032.png
1685889861331.png

I may just save those 147s for my new rifle @vezley is building currently. He is working on a 264 win mag based off a jc higgind model 50. I will just order some 140s for the swede. Hornady reloading data is no longer free. Times are a changing.

H4350 might be nice, the IMR version is faster burning -- I'd try load workups with the Hodgdon 4350 and 4831.
What I'd suggest is, whatever powder you have, look at data for a 140gr, drop the min by 10% and do a load workup / ladder test all the way to 10% above max.
Find your nodes, perfect one load and be done with it.
You also might want to load these out longer, so what is your leade on the chamber. Is Tim also expanding the magazine opening for the '03 action?

H4350 might be nice, the IMR version is faster burning -- I'd try load workups with the Hodgdon 4350 and 4831.
What I'd suggest is, whatever powder you have, look at data for a 140gr, drop the min by 10% and do a load workup / ladder test all the way to 10% above max.
Find your nodes, perfect one load and be done with it.
You also might want to load these out longer, so what is your leade on the chamber. Is Tim also expanding the magazine opening for the '03 action?
We had problems feeding initially and Tim worked on both the follower and feed rails. It is in my eyes a beautiful rifle. Got to get it on paper then comes the load development. I try really hard to get my rifles ready for hunting by the end of April. This year I have been so busy just getting my property in shape. Reality keeps getting in the way of having fun.
As far as the 264. Gave him a box of winchester 264 ammo I trust him to do what he thinks is best. I dropped the rifle off last February. I am in no hurry to get it back. I am fortunate to have a few rifles to choose from.

Last Edited:
We had problems feeding initially and Tim worked on both the follower and feed rails. It is in my eyes a beautiful rifle. Got to get it on paper then comes the load development. I try really hard to get my rifles ready for hunting by the end of April. This year I have been so busy just getting my property in shape. Reality keeps getting in the way of having fun.
As far as the 264. Gave him a box of winchester 264 ammo I trust him to do what he thinks is best. I dropped the rifle off last February. I am in no hurry to get it back. I am fortunate to have a few rifles to choose from.
His knowledge is worth the wait God knows he worked a miracle with a 27-2 I bought years ago that had the trigger monkied with and had some hammer push issues. I totally trust that trigger now and the double action pull is smooth and gorgeous as well. Every time I press that trigger it's perfect and consistent. Best money I ever spent.

You are evidently looking for a bullet with better longer range ballistics? I do not think much of eldm bullets for big game at any range. What ranges do you expect to hunt mule deer with this rifle? I have had good luck on several mule deer from close in to a touch over 500yds with a 129gr nos ablr bullet out of a 6.5 creedmoor. If your swede will stabilize a 147gr eldm it should stabilize the lighter ablr just fine. What is the twist rate on the swede?

Last Edited:
I was told but have forgotten - need to reevaluate that. I will see how the bullet gtoups. I buy most of my bullets through BiMart. The 147s are what they had. My personal range is 300 yards. I could see stretching that a little ways in a good situation. After looking on you tube it appears testing show they would make a decent hunting bullet at the speeds a swede is capable of producing. I might be better of ordering some 140g SST.

Out to 300 there is really no need for a high bc bullet like the 147 eldm. The standard swede twist is 1-8.7 I believe and this would be on the hairy edge of stabilizing those 147's. If you are looking for a more economical bullet a sst or even a standard hornady 140gr interlock would do nicely.

Last Edited:
I need to verify this but I think it's one in ten. I know it was requested to shoot 140s well. I might be all wet but I would not think 7g would make that much difference. I figure I will just save them for my 264. I ordered two hundred 140g SSTs from Midway. I have reloading data for those.

It's funny you never know where the over the line point is with the twist vs weight/length/b.c.. I had a 22-250 with a 1:12 that would stabilize a 60 grain but tumbled 63's like it was throwing them underhand:p. 3 grains go figure 😳

My 244 remington shoots 85 and 90g Speer hotcores into small groups but go to 100's and the pattern looks like a shotgun. Your right a small change can make a big difference.

I need to verify this but I think it's one in ten. I know it was requested to shoot 140s well. I might be all wet but I would not think 7g would make that much difference. I figure I will just save them for my 264. I ordered two hundred 140g SSTs from Midway. I have reloading data for those.
It would be odd that a 6.5 / .264 barrel is a 1-10". Likely a 1-9" or faster. If it is a 1-9", you will be able to shoot up to a Hornady 160 Gr roundnose accurately. A good 140 Gr bullet will work splendidly on deer and elk, provided you are shooting at a reasonable range and place your shot well. I know these things. ;)

I know a 22lr in a perfect situation will kill a elephant so I have heard. I have found while hunting that things rarely are perfect. Saying this I do not want to use the 264 for elk when I have much better options. Elk though not bullet proof have a tenacity that in my opinion requires a heavier bullet. Just my opinion.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top