JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
if your MiL likes to make mixed drinks, suggest some stronger proof stuff.

If you go Bottled-in-Bond, you can also get it CHEAP. This is not bad bourbon, it is good stuff, just zero marketing dollars behind it. Very old style labels, no expensive ad-men (or women). Just honest straight bourbon. and at 100 proof, it will hold up well to mixed drinks.

Literally look at the bottom shelf of your liquor store, that is where they are all located. Exception is EH Taylor which is pretty expensive.

Find out what she likes and get that.

Next, I like Jim Beam but won't buy it since they have Mila Kunis as the spokesperson. She's anti-gun, I'm not. That matters to me. Vanity: Mila Kunis, Anti-Gun Political Scientist

She wants guns banned, but they keep one at home. So she's a hypocrite as well. I won't buy Jim Beam of any sort any more (I will help you drink your JB of course but we will also discuss this issue while we sip). That list includes:

• Jim Beam Original (white label)
  • Jim Beam Black (black label) statement at the beginning of 2015[10] – 86 proof
  • Jim Beam Devil's Cut – and I like this one a lot
  • Jim Beam Bonded
  • Jim Beam Double Oak
  • Jim Beam Single Barrel
Ultra-premium bourbons
  • Jim Beam Signature Craft bourbon whiskey – aged 12 years, 86 proof[13]
  • Jim Beam Signature Craft Quarter Cask Bourbon – bourbon aged at least 5 years and finished in a variety of quarter-size casks for at least an additional 4 years
  • Jim Beam Harvest Collection (limited release) – six bourbons aged 11 years or more, each made with a particular secondary grain, including triticale, high rye, six-row barley, soft red wheat, brown rice, and whole rolled oat
  • Jim Beam Distiller's Masterpiece – finished in Pedro Ximénez sherry casks – 100 proof
Straight rye whiskey
  • Jim Beam Rye (green label) – Rye whiskey, aged 4 years, 90 proof
"White whiskey"
  • Jacob's Ghost – 80 proof, aged one year in uncharred barrels and filtered
125px-Jim_Beam_Red_Stag.jpg
Red Stag black cherry bourbon liqueur

• Jim Beam Apple – with apple liqueur
  • Jim Beam Honey – with honey liqueur[14]
  • Jim Beam Kentucky Fire – with cinnamon liqueur[15]
  • Jim Beam Maple – with maple liqueur
  • Jim Beam Red Stag – with black cherry liqueur
  • Jim Beam Vanilla – with vanilla liqueur

And worst of all but I won't budge:

I like a nice scotch - there are two types as I understand it. One a speyside which is typically very clean and smooth and comes from the north of Scotland. The other type being a islet which is typified by thier peaty smoky taste. I am not found of the isleys like lamphroag. I really like glenfiddich and glenlivet and macallan. It might be wise to at least try the two types. If you dont like one you might want to try the other. They say real scotch drinkers drink Isleys.

I recently found out that my mother in law likes to mix drinks with whiskey, now and then. I think it would be a great Christmas gift for her that she could enjoy all year. I do not know anything about whiskeys, other than I bought a bottle of Dry Fly Wheat Whiskey a while back. That and I know that it is made in barrels.... So a novice here wanting to get a good gift for someone.

Anyone have any good whiskey suggestions for a gift?
Just saw this thread so too late for Xmas but I recommend Blantons. Wonderful bourbon. But too good to be mixed imo.
59A23D1F-BF7E-4BBF-923D-495B218D3A51.jpeg

Last Edited:
That's kind of my point... If they are willing to pay someone like that to represent them, then it speaks volumes about the companies beliefs. There was a pretty big boycott of their product after she openly admitted to sending monthly contributions to Planned Parenthood in Mike Pence's name. So every month, Mr. Pence gets a letter in the mail, thanking him for his donation.
Somebody of importance in said company would have to approve and sign off on it.

If we're going to start talking Scotch..... Macallan 18, Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or, McClellands's <all regions>, GlenDronach <the old stuff>.....

Gentlemen Jack is real smooth.
Been a few years. I haven't had a drink in I think 4 years, no reason, just haven't
felt like it. But that was one of my favorites , that Makers as mentioned.
Two of my favorites. I took a tour of the Makers Mark distillery once, and there really is a little old lady whose job it is to hand dip each finished bottle neck in red wax.

I usually drink Jameson Irish whiskey these days for an every day drink. Has the right balance of dryness and sweetness for me. I don't like the peat flavor in Scotch as well as I do a good Irish or even a Welsh whiskey (yep it does exist) like Penderyn.
PENDERYN-LEGEND-DETAILS-1500px.jpg

That said, my cousin ended up with the original homestead in WV that's been in the family since before the Civil War. He inherited it from my uncle, who had always used it as a hunting and fishing camp. Said uncle died in about 1963. We all continued to use the place as a hunting and fishing camp as it sits on 160 acres of woods with 1/4 mile of river front. The 1/4 acre garden had always been planted with plants that produced the necessary ingredients for chili or salsa, so we always had a pot of chili going while telling lies around the wood stove, sipping whiskey, and playing poker. One of my uncle's favorite secret ingredients for chili was a good bourbon whiskey. But truth be told he really loved his Glenlivet. So one day when I was back there my cousin is poking around in the basement where the well pump is, and high on a shelf behind a plastic bucket he finds an unopened bottle of 18 yo Glenlivet which nobody but my uncle could have placed there. Now this would be about 1999 or so, and my uncle being dead since 1963 we must add another 36 years since bottling onto that 18 yo scotch and you come up with a bottle of whiskey that has to be at least 54 years old. We promptly brought it upstairs and toasted everyone going back 5 generations until it was gone. Uncle Ray has always been remembered fondly since that day.

Last Edited:
What would you suggest that's a little on the sweet side and not too much peat?

Look for a lowland Scotch like Glenkinchie. Lowland Scotch's Have little or no peat profile and are more delicate than scotch's from other regions. The polar opposite would be an Islay Scotch like Caol ila or Lagavulin which have the heavy smoked peat profile.

I like a nice scotch - there are two types as I understand it. One a speyside which is typically very clean and smooth and comes from the north of Scotland. The other type being a islet which is typified by thier peaty smoky taste. I am not found of the isleys like lamphroag. I really like glenfiddich and glenlivet and macallan. It might be wise to at least try the two types. If you dont like one you might want to try the other. They say real scotch drinkers drink Isleys.
And remember...if you ever go to Scotland, don't ask for Scotch. It's just called whiskey.

Two of my favorites. I took a tour of the Makers Mark distillery once, and there really is a little old lady whose job it is to hand dip each finished bottle neck in red wax.

I usually drink Jameson Irish whiskey these days for an every day drink. Has the right balance of dryness and sweetness for me. I don't like the peat flavor in Scotch as well as I do a good Irish or even a Welsh whiskey (yep it does exist) like Penderyn.
View attachment 532466

That said, my cousin ended up with the original homestead in WV that's been in the family since before the Civil War. He inherited it from my uncle, who had always used it as a hunting and fishing camp. Said uncle died in about 1963. We all continued to use the place as a hunting and fishing camp as it sits on 160 acres of woods with 1/4 mile of river front. The 1/4 acre garden had always been planted with plants that produced the necessary ingredients for chili or salsa, so we always had a pot of chili going while telling lies around the wood stove, sipping whiskey, and playing poker. One of my uncle's favorite secret ingredients for chili was a good bourbon whiskey. But truth be told he really loved his Glenlivet. So one day when I was back there my cousin is poking around in the basement where the well pump is, and high on a shelf behind a plastic bucket he finds an unopened bottle of 18 yo Glenlivet which nobody but my uncle could have placed there. Now this would be about 1999 or so, and my uncle being dead since 1963 we must add another 36 years since bottling onto that 18 yo scotch and you come up with a bottle of whiskey that has to be at least 54 years old. We promptly brought it upstairs and toasted everyone going back 5 generations until it was gone. Uncle Ray has always been remembered fondly since that day.
This is a fantastic story. I bet that old homestead is beautiful. I don't want to belittle your story in any way and only posting this for educational purposes. Whiskey doesn't bottle age. An 18yo Scotch that has been in a bottle for 100 years, is still only an 18yo Scotch.

This is a fantastic story. I bet that old homestead is beautiful. I don't want to belittle your story in any way and only posting this for educational purposes. Whiskey doesn't bottle age. An 18yo Scotch that has been in a bottle for 100 years, is still only an 18yo Scotch.

This is pretty much true. Once a whiskey is taken from the barrel and bottled, it no longer reacts with the charred oak. Also it is sealed up preventing further evaporation and contact with oxygen which is all part of the aging process in the barrel. Now if a bottle is opened and cork reinserted some of the aging process will slowly change the profile of the whiskey but due to the small opening of the bottle it would take a long long time to affect any change. Cheers

I agree with Zeke on Jameson Irish whiskey. I think one of the best bottles of whiskey i ever consumed was the Jameson gold reserve. It goes for about 100$ a fifth. Not the most exspensive but certainly not for everyday. A freind gave me my first bottle for taking out a couple of trees.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top