JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
2A friends don't let 2A friends drink Jim Beam.

For moderately priced whiskey, that are good both for sipping and mixing, I like...
George Dickel
Pendleton Midnight.
Buffalo Trace
Bulleit

I like to sip on the more expensive stuff like...
William Larue Weller
Thomas H. Handy
Pappy Van Winkle
George T. Stag
Blanton's

have you thought about some moonshine type liquor?

It's become more popular due to the lack of taste and strong alcohol.

You can buy it in local liquor stores now

000A9478-0C47-4A3B-8391-ED51DB33138C.jpeg

As previously stated, if being mixed please for the love of God get her a blend or some cheaper option like Jack Daniels or Jim Beam even (it pains me to suggest this) Black Velvet is a good whiskey for mixing. Have fun, I thoroughly enjoy shopping for new bottles to add to my bar!

Rogue Distillery has a nice little bottle called Chathoe Rogue. Very smooth and easy on the wallet.
However, this thread brings to mind some wisdom best put forward to us by the late, great Bobby Bare...

Gentlemen Jack is real smooth.
Been a few years. I haven't had a drink in I think 4 years, no reason, just haven't
felt like it. But that was one of my favorites , that Makers as mentioned.

If she likes to make mix drinks with whiskey, get a blend. It's a mortal sin to mix good bourbon.

I couldn't have said it better myself. There are a bazillion kinds of whiskeys that will make a great mixed drink. It's when you start drinking whiskey straight that the quality, flavor and price start going hand in hand.
I don't mix anything with my bourbon, even ice. I am partial to strong flavors and a smooth finish. My "standby" is Wild Turkey 101. When I feel like splurging, like I did last week, I buy the Wild Turkey Rare Breed. That is my favorite. A close 2nd is Booker's.
Either of these are fantastic classic bourbons.

Many people are turned off by such strong flavors and prefer something much "softer". Pendelton, Crown Royal, Gentleman Jack, Jim Beam (any color). All excellent whiskeys for on the rocks, with a splash of water or with a light mixer like 7-up.

A good friend always said, "There's no accounting for taste." What one person loves, the next will hate.

For moderately priced whiskey, that are good both for sipping and mixing, I like...
George Dickel
Pendleton Midnight.
Buffalo Trace
Bulleit

William Larue Weller
Thomas H. Handy
Pappy Van Winkle
George T. Stag
Blanton's

This is the part about taste that makes for conversations. I can't stand Dickel because I think it tastes like corn meal. I taste a lot of corn in many whiskeys, and I don't like it. A little may be ok, but a lot, nah.
I've drank most of your list and have to 2nd Blanton's. I think it's a bit on the pricey side for what it is, but it is good.

I once went on a quest. I started randomly at the top-ish and worked around the shelves, both in blended whiskeys and bourbons. Did this for a couple or three years. I sampled a lot of recommended whiskeys and some odd-balls that came along. I had a lot of fun doing it. These days I rarely buy anything different, but if I go to a bar I order well bourbon. No use getting raped for a glass of whiskey.

I have had their 100%Rye and it is outstanding if you like that rye flavor present in Canadian blends. Also now that we have all these options with craft distillers I have found that I like pure Corn whitedog from certain distillers although I don't really like the strong corn flavor in bourbons at least not the sour mash varieties.

Last Edited:

George Dickel
Pendleton Midnight.
Buffalo Trace
Bulleit

William Larue Weller
Thomas H. Handy
Pappy Van Winkle
George T. Stag
Blanton's
I like the Jim Beam dark I think it is aged to eight years. It is one of the cheaper whiskeys that I think is well worth the price. I like whiskeys and scotches neat. Why destroy the taste.

I like the Jim Beam dark I think it is aged to eight years. It is one of the cheaper whiskeys that I think is well worth the price. I like whiskeys and scotches neat. Why destroy the taste.
I used to drink Jim Beam often, until they hired anti-gunner (amongst other things) Mila Kunis as their spokesperson. Life's too short to drink anti-American bourbon.

I used to drink Jim Beam often, until they hired anti-gunner (amongst other things) Mila Kunis as their spokesperson. Life's too short to drink anti-American bourbon.

A spokesperson is just a paid for mouthpiece. I'd be more worried about company policies/politics than what some Hollywood POS spokesperson's ideals are.

A spokesperson is just a paid for mouthpiece. I'd be more worried about company policies/politics than what some Hollywood POS spokesperson's ideals are.
That's kind of my point... If they are willing to pay someone like that to represent them, then it speaks volumes about the companies beliefs. There was a pretty big boycott of their product after she openly admitted to sending monthly contributions to Planned Parenthood in Mike Pence's name. So every month, Mr. Pence gets a letter in the mail, thanking him for his donation.

That's kind of my point... If they are willing to pay someone like that to represent them, then it speaks volumes about the companies beliefs. There was a pretty big boycott of their product after she openly admitted to sending monthly contributions to Planned Parenthood in Mike Pence's name. So every month, Mr. Pence gets a letter in the mail, thanking him for his donation.

Point taken.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top