JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMHO

Lowest recoil in your price ranger and will shoot 2-3/4 and 3" is a used 11-87 police.

The 930 series are pretty nice and I almost bought one but I didn't like the recoil.

If you want a true Beneli style around half the cost look into a franchi affinity

If you want the best of everything (IMHO) get a Remington Versamax tactical. You can get them used for around $700-$800 if you keep an eye out. I have one and love it.

Benelli m4.

It has the controls that really work for me. Simple and intuitive.

Please consider the controls when you make your choice. Handle them before you buy. You may need this in a hurry. And you don't want to fight your gun and the bad guy.

An AK based shotgun would work for me also.

The one that sleeps beside the bed is nice 870 that will do just fine, just couldn't say no to the kid. Have an Ithica feather 12 that the geese don't like much, hmm.

An auto and 3.5 etc., what are your choices? Benelli nova?

Which Semi-Auto is Best?
Been fortunate to have a few including the Saiga 12.

Best for me, would be an auto without a gas system and all the ports, valves, rods, washers, o-rings, weight, cleaning and maintenance.

Strong shoulder and the "inertia" system of Benelli (late Beretta of the era) was/is great stuff, different/similar to the A5. Browning A5 in my opinion is still one very fast & reliable shotgun.

Through all the autos, I have always had a dedicated 870. Perhaps keep the 870 and sell some other stuff for the auto. Maybe upgrade to or trade for older 870P, how about adding some magpul if you need something new. If we are talking harms way, I'm KISS kinda guy.

Just a thought & my .02
Steve

8701.jpg

Last Edited:
OK, not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but I have shot three SAIGA-12s and on each and every one I have encountered massive feeding problems. They just jammed ALL the DAMNED TIME.

Maybe these were early models. But i've been really leary of SAIGA given my experience.

So school me. Is this a break-in period thing? Did earlier models have issues the later ones don't? What? Cause seriously, I would NEVER own a SAIGA given my experience. But a lot of people here seem to love them, so I'll take it that I'm missing something.

the saigas were made for russian military ammo....we have a myriad of ammo choices & some of the CHEAP ammos wont produce enough gas to operate the gun correctly....thats why you see some saigas fail..... cheap ammo!
now a little home smithing and you can fire the cheap ammo as well
NOTHING WRONG WITH THE GUNS

OK, not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but I have shot three SAIGA-12s and on each and every one I have encountered massive feeding problems. They just jammed ALL the DAMNED TIME.

Maybe these were early models. But i've been really leary of SAIGA given my experience.

So school me. Is this a break-in period thing? Did earlier models have issues the later ones don't? What? Cause seriously, I would NEVER own a SAIGA given my experience. But a lot of people here seem to love them, so I'll take it that I'm missing something.

I have had the chance to shoot a couple and been around that many more. They all just shot and shot and.... One did finally start having issues when after literally hundreds of fast fire rounds were put through it in the high desert and no maintenance. I am NOT a AK guy and I was totally impressed! Matter of fact I may buy one that was offered to me recently. I'd love to have one put away.

I have a Mossberg 930 and absolutely love it. Cheap low recoil birdshot it does not like. But its a short barrel no choke street clearing monster so all I use is 00buck. Mine is the roadblocker model so has a .50 cal muzzle break on it that is awesome for easing the recoil. Has never jammed or any other malfunction.

moss2_zps55b6666e.jpg

Tuning. They come form the factory with 2 gas settings. These used to be essentially "high brass" and "low brass" - one for shells with a lot of recoil, one for birdshot. Since about '08, production took off and quality sank a bit. Guns would often show up with the gas ports in bad alignment and other problems. So guns could be under gassed or over gassed - no telling. The two settings became "will run on high brass" and "won't run" or worse. You'd have to buy aftermarket parts and sometimes tinker with the gas port diameter. The parts weren't a big deal if you were going to mod the gun - 922r would likely require you to replace a bunch of parts anyway - but fiddling with the ports, well... Anyway, it could take a bit of work and know-how to get them running top notch, but most folks buying them intended to mod them anyway. So most of them run like a sewing machine but a few don't. Depends. ;)

20150207_135155.jpg From research I'm leaning more towards the 11-87 Police or a 930 JM. I would love to keep the 870 but money dictates that out with the old in with the new is the rule of life.

I've shot both and there is big difference is recoil and follow up shots. if your coming from a pump, either one will be less felt recoil for you. If less recoil is your main goal get the 11-87. If capacity is your main goal get the JM. If you want less recoil and capacity get the Versamax ;)

The 18" 11-87 does not like bird shot. There are three work arounds. Shoot only 1325+ FPS ammo ($6/box), Open up (drill) the gas port or get a longer barrel (22" is preferred). Once the JM (22" barrel) is broken in (usually 200 rounds) I've heard there are no issues.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top