JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Question for the experienced enthusiasts (someone been shooting more than 20+yrs), which guns have helped you shoot the fastest with follow up shots? Which slowed you down (so a newbie like me can avoid :))?

Edited: "follow up shots"

Last Edited:
Question for the experienced enthusiasts (someone been shooting more than 20+yrs), which guns have helped you shoot the fastest? Which slowed you down (so a newbie like me can avoid :))?
It's not about speed, it's about accuracy. Andy is a black powder shooter and uses a single shot rifle (or musket) and while he probably can reload quickly (all things being considered) he probably hits what he's aiming at more often than not. I've got a 33 round capacity mag for my Glock 19, but I still aim and fire and don't just spray and pray.

Speed doesn't matter if you can't hit the broadside of a barn.
Focus first on getting accurate then you move on to fast and accurate and get better as you go.

Depends more on the shooter, I can shoot 1911's(.45 acp) and Glocks pretty fast,the glocks hold more ammo have less recoil(9mm) but I can shoot a 1911 more accurately if I'm not trying to shoot unreasonably fast.

Accuracy is the only thing that matters if you have to use your handgun defensively. Wild Bill in the old west won all his gun fights because he took the time to aim proper instead of just trying to be faster.

Fast follow up shots are shooter dependent, I may be able to get fast follow up shots with a .357 mag, but Joe might struggle with it, while Dan is just as quick with follow up shots but is using the larger .44 magnum.

Speed doesn't matter if you can't hit the broadside of a barn.
Focus first on getting accurate then you move on to fast and accurate and get better as you go.

Depends more on the shooter, I can shoot 1911's(.45 acp) and Glocks pretty fast,the glocks hold more ammo have less recoil(9mm) but I can shoot a 1911 more accurately if I'm not trying to shoot unreasonably fast.

Accuracy is the only thing that matters if you have to use your handgun defensively. Wild Bill in the old west won all his gun fights because he took the time to aim proper instead of just trying to be faster.

I don't disagree with accuracy is important. That's why the question is not for newbies like me to answer. It's for the "experienced".

Glocks. Their trigger pull is fairly light and that helps for quick follow up shots.
However I only do 2-3rnd string shots.. rapid fire just burns ammo and doesnt accomplish much.

Edited: "follow up shots"

My Five Seven and I have become friends lately. Super low recoil is the key. Con: Learning curve using high bore sights on a tall slide.

Second would be a big long heavy barrel Ruger Mk 4 target pistol in .22 with a red dot.

Neither would be my first choice in a quick draw defensive situation... But follow ups are quick and correct.

Ask me about shotguns! :rolleyes:

Best recommendation I can give ya is try many different guns in many different calibers.(Avoiding the very large calibers til ya got more experience)
It took a while(years) to find what I shoot best but you'll find with firearms the learning never stops. I've bought countless handguns over years, quite a few I really liked but didn't shoot well so they got sold. Some I was just hoping were going to be somewhat accurate and completely surprised me in how well I could shoot them.(Hudson H9, S&W Model 66,Springfield Milspec,FNX 45 ,Ruger Alaskan)

If you are talking about follow up shots, or split times as they are commonly called, it is going to be very personal based on guns you can grip well and can get back on target quickly. I can shoot sub .20 splits with a 1911 in .45 but more accurate shooting quickly with an M&P in 9mm...I'll take that. If you find a handgun that has superb grip for you, a good natural point of aim, sights that are easy to pick up and put back on target and recoil that is manageable, then you have found your huckleberry.

Best recommendation I can give ya is try many different guns in many different calibers.(Avoiding the very large calibers til ya got more experience)
It took a while(years) to find what I shoot best but you'll find with firearms the learning never stops. I've bought countless handguns over years, quite a few I really liked but didn't shoot well so they got sold. Some I was just hoping were going to be somewhat accurate and completely surprised me in how well I could shoot them.(Hudson H9, S&W Model 66,Springfield Milspec, Ruger Alaskan)

I think you hit the nail on the head with the "fast follow up shots" depends on the person with that particular pistol. I was hoping for a more general/majority win pistol that I can just get and practice with. :)

If you are talking about follow up shots, or split times as they are commonly called, it is going to be very personal based on guns you can grip well and can get back on target quickly. I can shoot sub .20 splits with a 1911 in .45 but more accurate shooting quickly with an M&P in 9mm...I'll take that. If you find a handgun that has superb grip for you, a good natural point of aim, sights that are easy to pick up and put back on target and recoil that is manageable, then you have found your huckleberry.

I notice that I like at least 3.8" barrel guns but no longer than 4.25". I really like guns with a grip like the PPQ M1 not M2 because I think the push button is in the way of the grip. The trigger and sights I guess I can do aftermarket upgrade so not a big deal? Recoil is a big unknown until you really go out and put at least 250rnds down the range.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the "fast follow up shots" depends on the person with that particular pistol. I was hoping for a more general/majority win pistol that I can just get and practice with. :)
It will largely depend on how each firearm fits you, unfortunately there are no handguns that work the best for everyone, that has to be found out by the individual.
As for recoil you'll know in the first 50 rounds or so if it is too much or manageable for most calibers.(at least that has been my experience .

For instance some people shoot Browning HiPowers very well, I shot mine not so well compared to other pistols I had and thus I sold it.

The fastest (accurate) followup shots I've achieved have been from a CZ-75 SP-01 Shadow Target II. The combination of the pistols weight and it's spectacular trigger made followup shooting a whole lot easier and more forgiving than any of my carry pistols.

That said, it's not exactly a gun I'd want to be lugging around with me as my concealed carry piece due to it's size and weight.

On the opposite end, I think the worst performance I experienced followup wise was with a Sig P250 (DAO, hammer fired). If I had practiced more with that particular pistol I may have improved my shooting a bit, but coming from DA/SA and striker fired pistols made the DAO system pretty hard to get the hang of.

As noted above find a pistol that feels good to you
One that you can use comfortably.

Speed will come with practice.
Work on gaining the skill of shooting...then work on "smoothing " the skill.

When at various rifle shooting matches or rendezvous , my loading and shooting with a muzzle loading rifle , has been called fast or quick.
While it may appear fast or quick it really is just a fluid , smooth motion or action.

With good practice , you can get to where you do what is needed , without having to think it through or even seemingly have to think about it at all.

There is no trick or fast track to this...Just good solid practice.
Andy

The trigger and sights I guess I can do aftermarket upgrade so not a big deal?
If this is going to be a carry gun, I would recommend finding one with a factory trigger that works for you. If it is a range gun, then play away (this is a whole other long thread worth of discussion). I'm pretty tolerant of sights but swapping out is definitely and option.

Renting guns is a great option. When traveling through Salt Lake City I have stopped at TNT Range a few times and usually try out 4-6 models that I don't normally shoot. When you shoot several unfamiliar guns back to back to back, I find the difference pretty amazing, even in the same caliber.

If you have to ask this question, then your performance won't be affected by one firearm over the next. Buy a Glock/clone, master that, then you will know what qualities make for a fast shooter.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top