JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm curious to hear which semi-auto handguns people here shoot the best (and worst).

I really like my G19 and I recommend them to everyone as a first semi-auto, but I've come to find I can shoot my Sig P226 MK25 almost twice as well as my Glock. To be fair the Sig is twice the price and has an SRT trigger, so that probably has something do with it, but I'm curious if it might be a design aspect as well.

Last Edited:
I'm pretty good with any rifle at most any distance, but when it comes to handguns I shoot the CZ Shadow-2 best, and Sig P229 Elite the worst. Handguns are like golf...just when I'm nailing it, then all of a sudden I can't even hit the ball in a straight line.

1911s show the difference between 'target accuracy' and 'combat accuracy'

High Standard 10X or S&W M41 gave really decent rim fire groups;

Last Edited:
DSC06046.jpg
These two are the two that I shoot the best...
The top is a Colt Series '70 in .45acp.
It was the first handgun that I shot...It belonged to my dad and is pretty much stock except for the grips.
The original grips by Colt are smooth without checkering....I like the checkered grips better.
Nothing but honest wear , which comes from lots of practice and carrying of this pistol.
My Colt favors 230 grain loadings.

The bottom pistol is a Pachmayr .22LR conversion unit on a GI issue frame...this gun shoots best with .22LR "High Velocity" ammo.
My Daughter now is the owner of this pistol.
Andy

Top for me would be my Ruger MK's. With no recoil they are king. Next would be my 1911's in .45 since I just love them and always have.
Worst would be my Kel-Tec P-11. Between the small size and LONG trigger pull it is always going to be a "close in" pistol. :)

For me, it seems caliber dependent, I tend to shoot .45 ACP's better than 9's, even in guns of similar size and weight. That said, so far it's been all steel .45's, 1911's and a CZ 97 BD. I'll be putting it to the test soon, just closed a deal on a Sig P220R, should have it some time this week. It's more than a half pound lighter than the .45's I've owned/shot to date, it'll be interesting to see how much difference that makes. More later.

Dave

I shoot all Glocks pretty good, as well as my PMR-30.
Not so good with H&Ks, Sigs and other DA/SA.
I've shot M&P once and it was enough to say it's not for me.
Liked to shoot some 1911s, but never bothered myself to get one as they are not very practical these days - from my point of view.
G26 is my EDC for years.
Oh, forgot to mention my Zastava M57A Serbian Tokarev clone: it is a cheater!
I wish some day there will be a modern striker fired optic ready pistol with double stack magazine in 7.62x25 Tok.

Last Edited:
I have a CZ Sp01 that feels like an extension of my hand when I pick it up. It's an easy to shoot pistol and consistently hits what I point it at.

For one job or another, I have been issued Berettas, Sigs, Glocks, HKs, and most recently M&Ps. I also have carried 1911s off duty.

I firmly believe that anyone who is competent with a handgun can be given just about anything and a couple boxes of ammo and be able to put the requisite number of holes in a piece of paper to "qualify".

For pure scores, the 1911 and Sig P220/226/229 would be my pick. Thats head shot at 25 meters accuracy. I shoot the HK USP and the Glock 17 about the same, still able to shoot max scores but having to go to the torso at 25. The first generation of M&P is, in my opinion, less accurate at distance than Glock. The 2.0 version has changed that. Its very accurate.

I could never shoot an M9 for schit and went a while thinking I was just crappy with a pistol. Turns out I'm just crappy with Berettas. They just don't fit my hands very well.

As far as being able to run a gun and shoot for speed (read tactically), the striker fired guns are my pick. Draw it and go to work. Second would be DA/SA guns. I never had an issue with Sigs or HKs but I'll admit that I have a tendency to drive the DA shot a bit low. SA guns with safeties are my last pick because I just don't have as much time training around the safety.

But Berettas suck. For me at least.

My most accurate semi auto (not a .22) is easily my Remington R1 that has been enhanced with some Wilsom combat parts and tuned to perfection. Easily the tightest groups I have ever shot with a handgun not a .22 rimfire

My least accurate would have been the POS Tech-9 I had for 3 weeks waiting for the next gun show to trade off. At 20 yards I'm pretty sure the 2-3 out of 30 rounds that hit the target had bounced off something else first and tumbled through the paper as an accident.

1911, various lengths and calibers, 45, 10mm, 9mm - next is M&P in 40 S&W/357 SIG.
The G19 brings up the rear. But even the rear is not bad, even pretty good re: accuracy.

My least accurate would have been the POS Tech-9 I had for 3 weeks waiting for the next gun show to trade off. At 20 yards I'm pretty sure the 2-3 out of 30 rounds that hit the target had bounced off something else first and tumbled through the paper as an accident.

LOL, reminded me of the first time I shot one of the Mac clones that fired from an open bolt. The bolt falling made me pull back and jerk all over no matter what I did. Emptied a mag at a target and could not even get on the damn paper. They were the biggest joke I had ever seen. When the hand writing was on the wall that they were going to make them stop making them I bought a couple. Only to sell later at prices that almost embarrassed me that some wanted them that bad.

This is somewhat embarrassing to share. Old age marches on and stuff. Used to be the type of semi auto handgun did not make that much difference. I have never shot much the big big handguns. The 1911A1 .45 is still a pussy cat. Second place. Heavy for the small recoil.

The Kahr P45 4" .45 is the most difficult to shoot nowadays. Forth place. The easiest gun to shoot now is the tried and proven Browning High Power in 9mm using mundane NATO level ammo. It just fits my hands better. Either hand. But ... the eyes are going bad. Floaters in both.

Now finding that I am using more point shooting than the focused front sight blade or dot. The Browning High Power just points better. Second place the 1911 45. Third place the XD 5" .45. Forth place the Kahr P45 4". I do not know about the other stuff that much. Don't shoot them.

Oh .... we are getting sosssss OLD HERE! :)

The best: any SAO
The worst: any DAO

I can shoot most anything well enough with enough practice, but why bother making it harder on myself.

I shoot a luger, BHP, Colt 1911, and Sig P226 best...
I can't hit the side of a barn door with a C96 or Colt 1903. It's hard to shoot large revolvers as well, but I think most of that is the difference in grip and could be fixed with practice (only shot webleys and the colt knock off). The C96 might also just need to be shot at a greater distance, since it's zero is like 50 meters...
I'm also a pretty good shot with a high standard model B.

I like full size automatics, if I want accurate shots.

I guess best depends on the criteria.

I will list my best on slow fire group accuracy:
1. Kimber Camp Guard 10 (pains me to say that)
2. Sig P226
3. CZ 97B
4. CZ SP-01
5. CZ Shadow2
6. Walther PPQ 9mm
7. Glock 40
10. S&W 10x6 family

I just can't shoot those 3rd gen Smiths like I can any other SA pistol I own. Only makes sense that they're my favorites to handle. :rolleyes:

When considering rapid multiple shots to center mass, the 9mm guns float up to the top of the list when speed is the criteria. Then that list is topped by my CZ Shadow2.

Go figure, the competition gun was the fastest flat shooter. It is currently doing night stand duty wearing a light. Heavy AF but I know if I jerk that trigger 3 times in a high stress situation, 3 124gr +P gold dots are going to be in the 10 ring at the distances I'm dealing with. Sounds best to me.

Oh wow, I didn't see I didn't really answer Joe's real question.

I have a Kimber that I shoot really well. I have an RIA tac ultra that I can see the sights moving when I adjust them but the POI never moves.

I'd trust myself to defend myself with my S&W 1026 but not my 1076.

A PPQ is laser accurate but I'm not so with a HK P30.

I suck with a Shield or a CZ RAMI. For me it appears to be a function of weight and sight radius.

Red dots fix the sight radius problem.

IMHO heavy pistols shoot better but I can find corner cases that break the rule in my own gun safe. Before the boating accident that was.

Best, Pre-Ban P229 LE Issue 40SW, smooth as silk. Fits perfect, no recoil to even speak of. What can I say it hits where and at what its supposed to with ease and comfort.

Worse S&W M&P Shield in 40SW, too snappy, very hard to break back zero.
( The 9mm in the same handgun is great, just the 40sw in this firearm, seem to be a bit much for size)

( Glocks are too boxy for my larger hands, and Beretta's are too much hype for a
very average handgun my opinion but are tolerable, compared to the Shield 40SW)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top