JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had the opportunity to shoot a friends Sig 556 with Eotech 516 holosight. I really liked it, so I think I want to save up my change and get one.

I see they make one specifically compensated for .223 (Eotech 556) out to 600 yds. Not that I plan to shoot much past 100 yds, but I like the idea.

Which Eotech would you get for an AR and why?

Thanks!

I see they make one specifically compensated for .223 (Eotech 556) out to 600 yds. Not that I plan to shoot much past 100 yds, but I like the idea.

Which Eotech would you get for an AR and why?

Thanks!

You're thinking of the <broken link removed> , or 557 for short. I picked one up new for $460 and it was worth every penny. I also have the LaRue special magnifier in front of it and it's even better. I'll try to get a picture up sometime.

Does the 557 have the same 'backup' characteristics as say the 516? Meaning if it's dirty or cracked, will the reticle move to a clear part of view within sight?

The reticule doesn't actually move. If it is blocked, you can move your head to a different position so that you can see it, and since it is parallax error free, the point of impact is still the same. But all the eotechs have this ability.

And another thing, all the 55x series of eotechs are better than the 51x models, since the 550 is the original military model, which is what the 551-557 are based off of, and the 51x series are the "economical" line of eotechs, mainly just lacking night vision capability.

What PhysicsGuy said...

Certainly nothing wrong with the 51x series if you're not gonna use NV, they're just as robust.

I would definitely avoid the N battery versions though. Saved rail space does not make up for the awful battery life and the fact that you can't get the batteries at just any old store. Learned that one the hard way.

Will they use ANY AA battery or does it have to be a specific type? In other words, will it use rechargable Ni-MH batteries without problems?

Should be fine. But remember that rechargeable batteries are 1.2v, and AA's are supposed to be 1.5v. You may not get the brightness range you would on regular AA's.

I found a solar-charge kit somewhere for cheap for AA EoTechs. :D Hold on and I'll find it.

Edit:
<broken link removed>

The last two.

The 557 has two selectable timeout settings in case you leave it on. A four-pack of Energizer AA lithium batteries costs $6.54 at the base commisary, less if you find a coupon.

With the 557 you can use any AA battery. Just be aware that lead acid, rechargables, and alkaline all have different discharge rates so don't mix them together. I just got mine today and it is faqn sweeeeeeet! I can't wait to head out to Brown's Camp this weekend to break it in.

I think I have the 553 (CR123 version) and I like it because I only have to carry one battery type for my M3X, Petzel, NV, MIOX, and the EO. Plus my gun holds extra batteries and you can use the lithium for water delay initiators too if needed.

3b9956ba-9364-43a4-b7b3-a1bba5fafe3a.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads