JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a 512 Ref F and would not change it for anything. Don't have NV so I didn't pop for the NV version. I like the AA units since I can toss in some lithiums and they last for a long damn time! Plus, AA's last longer and are much easier to find than 123's, as many above me have mentioned.

EOTech is having some issues with the BDC models in regards to hazy reticle's and such. Sounds like they are taking care of the issues but some folks are upset with the time it takes. They are dealing with their Mil orders first, which I believe takes great priority over us folks that use them for mostly plinking.

Ahhh so I didn't just have my brightness up too high. I was wondering why the BDC seemed pixelated. It's more than usable but just looks "scatterered" with the brightness up.

Exactly. You can send it to L3 to have it fixed or replaced but from what other folks have told me this can take up to 2 months. The EO's I've seen don't look bad and ARE in fact totally usable. Seems as if many of the owners are complaining just to complain. I'd still buy one if I had the cash!!

Well for $500 I want one that works as designed. I'll just send them an email and see what they say. I'm not sending it in till the winter since I don't want to wait 2+ months to get it back during prime plinking weather that's coming up!!!

Well for $500 I want one that works as designed. I'll just send them an email and see what they say. I'm not sending it in till the winter since I don't want to wait 2+ months to get it back during prime plinking weather that's coming up!!!

That's not the attitude I was referring to. Most of the statements I've read have been down right demanding and NASTY so yours is very understandable and thought out. Wait until the nasty weather goes away, then send it in!

Well there's no point in screaming "Me First!!!" and complaining about it. I'd rather have the military optics fixed first. They need them a **** of a lot more than I do right now. Besides, I can still nail targets out to 200m as it is with mine if I need to.

I have a 553 on my 9mm AR right now, if I were to do it again I'd get a 552 and put it on a LaRue mount. AA vs 123 doesn't bother me much, but I don't care much for the ARMS mount or the buggy battery compartment issue.

Now, what would REALLY give me wet dreams is an Aimpoint M4 with an EOTech reticle and BDC :D

Here's an update from an L-3 service rep that I emailed about the issue on the 557 models.

"Turn around time for service is excellent, sights are usually only here for a day or two max. Obviously, no one but us would have any knowledge of our service issues so that information has to be some type of speculation by a party not affiliated with L-3. As far as the 557.223 reticle, there is mixed opinion as to the perception of this sight. Our sights are tested here on a machine that magnifies the image and tests it for focus. To some people, the image appears as a post, to some the dots are clear. Thru magnification, for me, they clear up. This issue was and still is with night vision. We are working on an upgrade to clean up the dots with use of night vision. This is a few months away. I would suggest contacting me in early summer to check on this progress. If you are having a major issue with the sight now, I would be happy to issue an RA# and have the sight checked out and repaired if necessary."

I know you all are talking about the new model and how you would rather not have the N type batt. I have the Bushnell version made by eotech. It is the same thing minus the outer shield. At first this kind of worried me but after I thought about it I don't beat up my guns. I mounted it on the 50. Beowulf and used it in Alaska with no problem. It cost $280. I still would like to have the eotech with the guard of these days but this is working for now.

What is EoTech's policy on updating older models? I have an older 551.A65 that is from 2002 (believe it's a Rev C) that I was curious if I could have updated. It's still fully functional, as far as I can tell. Alas, it's one of those N-cell units so I'm stuck with those batteries.

But, along the lines of the original topic, if you want an EoTech I'd highly recommend getting the AA/AAA version. Much easier to get batteries I will have to admit. If things go to **** in a handbasket I suspect it'll be a lot easier to find AA/AAA's than N-cells.

557 is too blurry for me. Looks almost like 1 blotch of reticle. I can imagine it looks better when magnified but the dots aren't really setup for pin point accuracy so if your satisfied with hitting a man size target at those distances then it's probably perfect.

I had the 552.A65 and the FTS mag then scrapped the package for an accupoint TR21 as I needed pin point accuracy as well as BAC. The reticles get fuzzy when magnified too. It's hard to explain but if you are trying to hit say a 1" target at 100yds you will notice a certain star effect in the reticle. I was able to shoot better groups without the magnifier as the dot seemed more consistant without it thus I could remember where the bullet is exactly hitting within the dot.

It's hard to explain but if you have the setup go out and try to bench shoot at 100yds trying to make tight group as possible with and without the mag up and you'll see. It's made for optimal hit placement on man size targets and that is what it does best. No good for sage rats... I love my accupoint... Have you seen the new TR-24's? staight 1-4x accupoint? New german crosshair pin point reticle in green... :drool:

That being said I love the new 556 and the old 553's best. Built in 1/3 co-witness = faster target accusition

Last year I picked up a 552 from all the raves I've seen on various boards. I was pretty disappointed when I received it. Granted, I've never seen another one so I don't know how it is supposed to be but the reticle is very specular (not blurry, but just very pixelated). I've tried various settings and it still bugs the heck out of me. I emailed Eotech about it when I received it to see if it was normal but never heard back.

I'll probably stick with Trijicons for now, I guess to each his own.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top