JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Planning out some designs, trim/webbing options... I have these 3 digital camo Cordura fabrics to play with....

My ideas so far;

Simple chest rigs; 4 mags plus admin type pockets on the sides, low profile.

SOMAV style MOLLE vest/chest harness with matching MOLLE pouches

Simpler 3 or 4 mag placards for plate carriers with swift clips, no admin front pockets, velcro back and ITW Nexus buckle attachments

MOLLE Pouches, a variety of sizes possible

Haversacks/small shoulder bags/satchel with internal MOLLE and/or elastic mag loops?

Not going to build plate carriers nor backpacks, I like solid colors for backpacks and I'm still not 100% satisfied with my own plate carrier sewing so far. (And I only got a couple sizes...) also backpacks takes a lot of fabric and space.

20220610_153006.jpg

Clockwise from bottom left;
Rockywoods AOR2 500D Cordura;

Ebay "brown AOR2" 500D Cordura (informed by others that its actually commercial version of DGII or DGIII experimental/trial camo from the AOR2 tests)

Rockywoods Hyperstealth Spec4CE Afghan Digital 1,000D Cordura

surplus USMC MARPAT ILBE radio pocket

All of these camos are excellent in the PNW IMO...

The haversack looks like it could be a pretty straightforward pattern. I might try to make a janky leather one.

View attachment 1219210View attachment 1219211
Straightforward in theory ;) there's two basic methods, the box construction seen in your photos, and the simpler "envelope" construction which just entails folding a piece of fabric and then sewing it up, flap and all. Ideal for flat things like maps and books.

I just thought of something hilarious and very likely. If I were to make haversacks or similar bags with these fabrics in these patterns... set them down anywhere in the PNW that's got some green, and they're likely to disappear. I might have to get high contrast stuff just so they don't completely blend in
:s0064:

Day-glow buckles? Blaze orange buckles? And I do have orange T70 thread.. black buckles and hardware are easiest to source though; so harder to blend in the shrubs and woodlands here.

I've found some fairly simple patterns for haversacks/shoulder bags... but there's one concept I think I want to try out...a bag that can carry a 2qt USGI canteen securely and insulated, with space for minimal stuff like tarp shelter, cordage, cook cup/stove, firestarter kit... basically a woods bumming shoulder bag built around a 2qt canteen vs the more common 1qt bottles.

Maybe have lash straps for a poncho liner woobie, or a wool blanket.. maybe size it so that all can fit inside, but this might bring it to a backpack sized bag.. we'll see. Gotta get the gear together first then figure how big the bag needs to be.

Trim options. Fabrics from top to bottom;
Hyperstealth Spec 4CE/Afghan Digital,

Rockywoods AOR2

Ebay DGIII/"brown AOR2"

With MARPAT pouch to the right

Webbing colors from left to right;

Ranger Green (brown gray shade)

Khaki (greenish tan tint but shows brown here)-may differ from Rockywoods version when I acquire it.

USMC Coyote Brown

Tan 499

OD7

Camo Green version 1 Point Blank Interceptor OTV

Camo Green version 2 MOLLE II Woodland

Not sure which webbing best goes with which fabric. I am thinking either the Khaki or OD7 for the Ebay DGIII/brown AOR2; tan 499 for the Rockywoods AOR2, haven't decided what goes with the spec4ce/Afghan Digital, maybe the brown tint Ranger Green?
Clicky to embiggen
20220613_214217.jpg

Hrm. Let me simplify.
Same order of fabrics; with webbing colors from top to bottom

Top, Hyperstealth Spec4ce/Afghan Digital forest, with brown tint Ranger Green and standard Camo Green MOLLE webbing

Middle; Rockywoods AOR2/Navy working uniform type 3 camo with Tan 499 and Camo Green Point Blank variation

Bottom; Ebay Brown AOR2/DGIII commercial with Khaki (may not match Rockywoods version) and OD7

USMC MARPAT on right of whole group
Clicky to embiggen
20220613_223215.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR