JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Easiest method is to have a concealable plate carrier under a shirt, and a literal camera vest over. Otherwise, no matter what, it will always be a bit obvious that its an armored vest... however Safe Line Defense may have carriers that doesn't look as if the wearer is in the military. They have police style uniform carriers, and a hi viz line, as well as first responder carriers, but not quite what you describe.

CD,

What would be the (average) highest outside temperature one of these could comfortably be worn in?

Right now, we're enjoying temperatures in the high 90's.

I would think such temps would put one on his knees in short order if wearing one of these...or am I wrong?

Thanks!

CD,

What would be the (average) highest outside temperature one of these could comfortably be worn in?

I would think such temps would put one on his knees in short order if wearing one of these...or am I wrong?

Thanks!
Like wearing a pistol, its meant to be comforting, not comfortable, especially soft body armor that doesn't allow for much air to get through and keep you cool. On hot days, I'd bring a change of undershirt and switch out if possible mid-shift.

DB,

I hear ya, but when I work outside even doing physically easy tasks such limb litter pick up and throwing insecticide on fire ant mounds, I wear a short sleeve pocketed tee shirt and shorts (plus, 2 knives, a 9 mm semi-auto, with a mag reload) and in short order I look like I was caught in a downpour, sweat pouring off me...I'm talking 'passing out' from the heat weather - thus my question.

CD,

Thanks!
Gee, that depends on how much coverage. We know the military routinely wears body armor in Iraq and Afghanistan where 110 degrees can be reached... but there are also cooling vests (similar to the gel ice packs, but in a vest form) to prevent overheating.. however.... its all a matter of training and adapting to the heat. Police officers also wear body armor, and these are usually full wrap around Kevlar/aramid vests which aren't breathable.

If one isn't used to wearing what is basically a thick plastic wrap around their torso and they're exerting themselves, be it running, lifting, or doing aerobics/calisethics/cardio; then yeah heat stroke/heat exhaustion is a definite possibility. So again, wearing the armor when out and about, and training in them, should help the body acclimate to it.

This is also why minimalist body armor is popular (front/back soft or hard plates only) in high heat areas.

DB,

I hear ya, but when I work outside even doing physically easy tasks such limb litter pick up and throwing insecticide on fire ant mounds, I wear a short sleeve pocketed tee shirt and shorts (plus, 2 knives, a 9 mm semi-auto, with a mag reload) and in short order I look like I was caught in a downpour, sweat pouring off me...I'm talking 'passing out' from the heat weather - thus my question.
If you're already at that point with light work and light clothing, I think body armor and gear would make it that much worse and you'd need to change clothes a lot, or invest in cooling vests and possibly underwear (the male anatomy needs to be cooler than the core)... thats another thing, it used to be a thing to fill a hydration bladder halfway, then freeze it the night before, and then fill with fresh water and wear it underneath the BDU jacket, or in the vest sleeve depending on the vest.. and it would keep the core much cooler during the hot day. Doesnt work that well when the body armor is between the hydration bladder and the clothing :confused::s0092: But thats why the cooling vests or cooling inserts on some armor.

Sidenote, I see on the Extreme Cold Weather parka tag that it says basically the insulation works both way.. it can keep the soldier warm in cold weather, but it also can keep the soldier somewhat cooler in very hot temps... have never tried that myself, as temps here usually gets up to only 90s, with few days in the hundreds...

Good option for basic coverage as it only covers the absolute basics.
Its 9x9

If you're already at that point with light work and light clothing, I think body armor and gear would make it that much worse and you'd need to change clothes a lot, or invest in cooling vests and possibly underwear (the male anatomy needs to be cooler than the core)... thats another thing, it used to be a thing to fill a hydration bladder halfway, then freeze it the night before, and then fill with fresh water and wear it underneath the BDU jacket, or in the vest sleeve depending on the vest.. and it would keep the core much cooler during the hot day. Doesnt work that well when the body armor is between the hydration bladder and the clothing :confused::s0092: But thats why the cooling vests or cooling inserts on some armor.

Now they make a thing called an ice plate that does the same thing.

Now they make a thing called an ice plate that does the same thing.
The one by Qore Performance? Thats an interesting design.. one caveat, it looks like it pushes the armor away from the body due to the thickness on the back... I know there are the 10x12 ice gel pads that probably would do a better job of keeping one's core cool, although I don't recall if the gel itself is gonna be bad for tissue if the plastic casing gets penetrated :s0092:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top