JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know about the rest of ya but I had a lot of fun in my 40's.
May 50's were over the hill?
I'll let you know next year when I turn 60
Oh the barrel? No idea.:D
I love how this group spins thread topics.. Kinda why I doubled up the subject matter to see which way it went... Wasn't expecting so much debate on the over the hill age, but I like it! Would be nice to get more info on folks' barrel experiences, but I still have a few days before I order one(probably Monday night) so I got time.:s0108:

Got the handguard today... IMG_2046.JPG It's the wrong color for what I had going, so now I have to decide if I want to paint the handguard, covering up all the cool Tmarks etc., or take the red accesories off and trade them for FDE... Or find someone to trade HGs with. I like the looks of the Troy with a flash can recessed in about half way. My indecisiveness/OCD on these things is a challenge to say the least. Its starting to really take shape now... Barrel, flash can, and I'm there!
Sooo close!
IMG_2050.JPG

Last Edited:
...and after all that, I just got a killer deal on an 8.3" Balistic Advantage Hansen. sooo sweet. Problem now is the Troy rail is too long, so I either need someone to trade rails, or trade barrels... I just want this build done already! If you have a nice 9-10" rail and want an 11" troy alpha, or anything else I might have(check my classifieds) hit me up!

...and after all that, I just got a killer deal on an 8.3" Balistic Advantage Hansen. sooo sweet. Problem now is the Troy rail is too long, so I either need someone to trade rails, or trade barrels... I just want this build done already! If you have a nice 9-10" rail and want an 11" troy alpha, or anything else I might have(check my classifieds) hit me up!
Will it be too long if or when you put a flash hider on it? I built one the the flash hider was just past the hand guard and I thought it looked pretty cool.
Just a thought

If you get something that goes past the handguard and puts the muzzle blast forward, you will be fine. And it may even look better.

A .300 BLK can be shot decently out to .300 meters, maybe a little further. The point of the .300 BLK was to be suppressed well and shot out of short barrels.
True more or less... I would like to expand on this and say it was designed for multifunctional roles. Some people would disagree with me but that's ok. It is meant to be suppressed in certain roles... vermin hunting of the four and two legged kind. But can also be used unsuppressed in both cqb and out to midrange distances and I use that term loosely. Depends on what you want to classify as midrange.

In order for you to hit at 300 yards either you have to lollipop the rounds or buy the right ammunition. Now is where I get people to say that one brand is better than another. Personally I shoot multiple manufacturers and buy what my firearm likes. Anyway the most important thing is the grain of the ammunition. 110-123 at most for 300 yards. Heavier grain starts to lollipop in order to hit based on simple physics.

You want to make the guys at the range go what the?... buy the citadel lmc muzzle brake from Hardened Arms.
Look
I have a couple 300bo and my favorite one is the one with the citadel. No that's not me in the video. lol

I love the 10.5 inch length.

Last Edited:
I need some advice, or maybe just reassurance... :s0092: This Sunday is Father's day and I'm getting ripped off this year. Not just because I'm broke and can't afford to give my kids money to buy me anything(funny how that works huh)... but there are only two "holidays" set aside for ME around here, Father's day and my birthday, and this year they happen to fall on the SAME DAY... I get one day, and I have to share it with almost half the adult population. And that's not the worst of it... I'm going over the hill!!!:s0001:Ya..The big Four-Ohhh. That's a big one that I'm not entirely prepared to accept. I could swear I just turned 30!?
[* some say OTH is 50, some say it's 40... It seems to be a hot debate*]
All I want for this dubious day, is to see my latest project completed. Thankfully a set of knives I had on eBay just sold, and the "white envelope" has enough in it to order a barrel for my 300blk pistol build. I have about $100 cash, and $50gift card for Sportsmans to play with, but would like to save as much as possible for the other parts I need...
-hand guard
-gas block/tube...
-muzzle device (i'm thinking a generic flaming pig style..KAK?)
-Dies, brass, projo's... Its gotta eat too!
-BCG...I can always "borrow" one from one of my other ARs for a while.. so this isn't a pressing need.

so far the build is made up of high end "enhanced" parts, including the nicest set of forged receivers I have ever seen... so the challenge is to be both frugal, and careful not to ruin an otherwise high end build with cheap parts, just to get it done.... look at that top rail... I love how the back just kinda fades into the charge handle, and the way they machined the raised part around the mag release down flat... subtle, but different... enough to make it worth $300 for a forged receiver set? debatable.
I almost sold them several times, but I couldn't go through with it.

View attachment 370089
Notice the abundance of red... reminiscent of the middle aged man in a red convertible you see rolling around town, and the first thing that comes to mind... "somebody's having a midlife crisis"
Oh snap! is that me? is this my broke attempt at filling THAT void... or do I just like red AR parts?
40 is the new 30 my a$$!

I've already decided on a 10.5" barrel, and after much searching, and pondering, I've narrowed it down to a couple possible options... and one that would be nice, but ain't gunna happen(yet)::::::

option #1. is a great deal, but I'm unsure of the quality... should I just get it and play with it for a while and use the savings to get more parts? It's going to bee hidden under the Hg anyway..as long as it shoots straight I'd be happy with it. Anybody have a Bear Creek barrel, or heard anything about them?
Bear Creek Arsenal 10.5 Heavy Barrel 1-8 Parkerized .300 Blackout Barrel B300PHB10.518P
If I go this route I can get the gas block from sportsmans with my gift card, order the gas tube at the same time, and maybe trade for a handguard at the centrailia GS this weekend, and be shooting sometime next week...

option#2. For a little more I could get this one... anybody have experience with these? are they worth the extra $25?
10.5" 300 AAC BLACKOUT 1x8 MELONITE NITRIDE BARREL | MAS Defense

(not really an)option#3. This is the one I REALLY want... I have a Ballistics advantage 18" premium series on one of my builds, and it is an absolute tac driver... and I love the matte SS finish. It has a Sub MOA guarantee, and comes with a gas block already attached. And this is a great deal.(30% below anywhere else and free shipping)...see I'm still trying to rationalize.
Ballistic Advantage 300 Blackout Premium Series 10.3 Hanson Barrel - Monmouth USA

I know what your thinking. "just get the BA... you know you want it, and it's just another $75 or so. besides it already has a gas block so it's like $40-45"
Well, that's what the devil on my shoulder is saying too, but I've listened to it way too many times, and it's got me in a lot of trouble.
..:s0087::s0038:I absolutely have to stay on budget, and only spend from what I sell or trade from my existing toy box. I can't let this damn AR addiction best me out of paying bills, and feeding my hungry teenagers that are going to be home all day for the next three months for summer brake.

I may take some things from my "toy box" to the Centrailia Wes knudel gun show(one of my favorite monthly events) on Saturday, and hopefully I'll be able to haggle my way into whatever's left on the list, but it's been slim pickings there the last couple months so I'm not counting on it.

Advice.?. Ideas.?. Other options in my price range?
Well I wish I could sympathy to you but sense I past 40 mmmm 8 year's ago I can say welcome to the almost over the hill gang anyway I like the red AR IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD A RED CORVETTE A RED AR WILL HAVE TO DO lol as for the barrel if got a 7.62 surppesser go short 11.5 or something in that range would be cool because if you're going to shoot it with sub sonic ammo no need for long barrel and if you shoot it with regular ammo it still works I don't care what people say your not shooting a 300black out passed 300 yards after that the bullet will probably be traveling less than 600fps I'm guessing on this but at the muzzle fps cut in half

IMG_2276.JPG
Well I wish I could sympathy to you but sense I past 40 mmmm 8 year's ago I can say welcome to the almost over the hill gang anyway I like the red AR IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD A RED CORVETTE A RED AR WILL HAVE TO DO lol as for the barrel if got a 7.62 surppesser go short 11.5 or something in that range would be cool because if you're going to shoot it with sub sonic ammo no need for long barrel and if you shoot it with regular ammo it still works I don't care what people say your not shooting a 300black out passed 300 yards after that the bullet will probably be traveling less than 600fps I'm guessing on this but at the muzzle fps cut in half
I finished the build well over a month ago... sombody just dug this thread up again...
I ended up,with a 8.3 Ballistics Advantage Hansen (retail$210) I got it brand new off arms list for $100, and then traded the troy alpha rail for a beautiful ($275 retail) 9.5" Centurion CMR rail and put a 3" blast can to clear the rail. It's still sharing a bolt with my SPR, but i'm building up my trade stock to get one for it soon....
It turned out Sweet!!! At least I think so, and I'm my own worst critic IMG_2283.JPG IMG_2290.JPG IMG_2135.JPG

I'm loving it!

IMG_2271.JPG IMG_2282.JPG IMG_2129.JPG IMG_0411.JPG

View attachment 383202
I finished the build well over a month ago... sombody just dug this thread up again...
I ended up,with a 8.3 Ballistics Advantage Hansen (retail$210) I got it brand new off arms list for $100, and then traded the troy alpha rail for a beautiful ($275 retail) 9.5" Centurion CMR rail and put a 3" blast can to clear the rail. It turned out Sweet!!!View attachment 383197 View attachment 383198View attachment 383200

I'm loving it!

View attachment 383195 View attachment 383196 View attachment 383199 View attachment 383201
That's nice I didn't pay attention to the date lol that happens alot any way nice gun look great I like the sig brace I'm going to have to get one for my AR pistol it looks better that just the spring tube

That's nice I didn't pay attention to the date lol that happens alot any way nice gun look great I like the sig brace I'm going to have to get one for my AR pistol it looks better that just the spring tube
The sig brace is what got me started on this build... a few months ago @IronMonster posted a heads up that Sig.com had Pink braces on sale for $9.99 so I ordered a couple and dyed them black. I used the other one to trade with the troy rail to get the Centurion CMR rail. wish ida got 5-6 of them.
Anyway I had the VSeven recievers waiting to be built, so I started wheeling and dealing my way into this pistol... Since I already had some of the parts, and found such good deals on everything else, I spent very little money building what would have been about $1500 retail. The money I did spend came from selling things I Ive had for years on eBay etc. I could have never built somthing like this out of pocket. I'm quite broke with 2 teenage kids.

I've got to reserect the this thread, I built her almost exactly a year ago for a 40th Birthday present to myself, I was at that time struggling very badly financially, Not doing great now either, but a lot better than then.... she has taken many forms since Scarlet 1.0
And she has finally recieved the bling she was born to rock today!

Introducing the latest and greatest Scarlett...The Black Widow
Silent but deadly!

61198F9F-A6E0-4247-9095-298D92E1B663.jpeg DE260AC0-099B-4E36-B71D-F1CC701E7EFD.jpeg 960D1492-83C6-4C6D-BCA0-2F0DAFA07B8E.jpeg

Last Edited:
I've got to reserect the this thread, I built her almost exactly a year ago for a 40th Birthday present to myself, I was at that time struggling very badly financially, Not doing great now either, but a lot better than then.... she has taken many forms since Scarlet 1.0
And she has finally recieved the bling she was born to rock today!

Introducing the latest and greatest Scarlett...The Black Widow
Silent but deadly!

View attachment 470139 View attachment 470140 View attachment 470141
Half the tax stamps but all of the fun!

I love how this group spins thread topics.. Kinda why I doubled up the subject matter to see which way it went... Wasn't expecting so much debate on the over the hill age, but I like it! Would be nice to get more info on folks' barrel experiences, but I still have a few days before I order one(probably Monday night) so I got time.:s0108:
People age a lot more often than they get actual experience...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top