JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And another 'oldie' that gets shot routinely - Mod 152 Mossberg - and still capable of nearly one hole 50 yard groups.
152.jpg

I have a Winchester .22 model 1906 Expert half nickle rifle that was made in 1918. I got it when I was 12(now 66) from my dad who got it when he was 12(1934) from my grandfather. The rifle has been re barreled once and its rifling is faint today but it hits what it is aimed at. Don't know how many rounds it has fired but it is a lot. My dad used to tell me as a kid he would slamfire magazine after magazine full of .22's. It has not been coddled in it's lifetime but still works great after all these years. I don't fire it much today having bought a Taurus copy of it but it is still a safe good working rifle that I have no reservations shooting. And it will still hit what I am aiming at.

The biggest problem with shooting old guns ... is that you will find that they still work just fine.
In many cases I might even say better than current made guns.
It can led to buying and shooting more of them...:D
Andy

The biggest problem with shooting old guns ... is that you will find that they still work just fine.
In many cases I might even say better than current made guns.
It can led to buying and shooting more of them...:D
Andy

I can totally agree with that. I still remember how the heck scared I was when I was shooting my old P08 for the very first time. It was my 1st vintage gun as well. It shot surprisingly good. I also have a tiny Savage pistol that was untouched for at least 28 years. I did a very detailed cleaning and enjoyed flawless shooting with the gun as well.

Guns are sophisticated engineering art, but at the same time, I find them to be so straight forward and simple. It's not super duper hard to figure out guns that you shouldn't shoot unless you are very unfortunate. A little bit of knowledge of firearm structures, good resources for help when needed, and decent reloading skills totally made me not too afraid of shooting them.

Very nice, I have been trying to find a decent Snider for a while now, all I seem to find are the non British made ones.

Plenty of genuine British-made sniders in Canada for sale.

Martyn of X-Ring Services in Spokane WA is THE man for the correct .600" Short Snider bullet and new cases. I assume that you've watched our pal Rob on Youtube? britishmuzzleloaders is his site, and he covers reloading in total detail.

tac

Not that computer savvy ...
Plus "Muff" is a slang term ... and after my day yesterday at work , I really didn't want to read all the jokes .... :eek:
Every time I use the correct term I have to endure many a snicker or low humor remark.
It can seem at times, that I spend more time explaining the term , than talking about the pistol.
Andy

Last Edited:
Understooded, Andy, it's just that there are quite a few terms that are in common usage that have a double meaning, depending on the level of depravity of the listener. You really must stop talking to folks who are predisposed to think in smut. :)

As an example - in the USA/Canada you are quite happy to have a 'fanny pack'. Here in yUK the word is most definitely NOT used in polite or mixed company.

If I were you, I'd describe the little gun used for self-defence by a lady as an early example of CCW, and leave it at that.

tac

Very true tac.
I may try that "early example of CCW" ... Thanks.

I do like to use the correct terms for things ... and when talking / showing of firearms of the 18th and 19th century ... it is nice to use a 18th or 19th century term.
So I do try and judge my audience when doing a show.
Andy

Last Edited:
That I did know tac ... I state that when showing it off at events. :)
Just didn't want to explain a archaic term on this thread...
( Too lazy yesterday I guess... :D)
Andy

"On the contrary my dear Watson! This pistol has a distinguishing smell to it.

Yes, quite a muff-like smell...we must go to the nearest fish market in England to find it.

No, my dear friend, this is a Muff Pistol, I'm sure you can deduct where it was hidden...please stop smelling it!!!!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top