JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The one on the right is an 1899 Klondike Sporting Rifle in 30-30 and is shot routinely. The one on the left (66 Centennial) is 'work in progress'.
100_1247.jpg

Last Edited:
I have my great grandfathers Winchester 1892 chambered in 25-20 WCF from approximately 1904. It probably hasn't been fired since the 1960's; any recommendations for a trusted gunsmith in the PDX area for checking out an old lever action?

I have my moms 1909 M-94 in .25-35 that I shoot fairly often, now that I've accumulated a store of ammo for it. Only thing I've ever had to replace on it was a "chrystallized" firing pin. Don't dry fire M-94s! :)

IMG_0683.JPG

I shoot, and on a regular basis, the following older guns -

1861 58cal short rifle

1897 7mm Mauser carbine

1896 6.5mm rifle

1910 BSA .22

1912 7mm Mauser

1914 K11 7.5

1930 Walther Mod 2 .22

1934 Walther DSM .22

1937 Mauser .22

and it never bothers me a jot.

tac

I'm waiting to get to shoot two lovely old Canadian Sniders - both lock-plate dated 1862, and certainly one at least predates 1867 as it is devoid of DC stamps. They signify Dominion Confederation, BTW.

Both have bores like a nickel etc.....and with one of Martyn's fine moulds making a .600" Minié bullet I'm sure they'll both perform well. The short rifle, assigned to the Québec Garrison Artillery, I shot before it was given to me, so I know that that baby shoots!

See -

tac

I'm waiting to get to shoot two lovely old Canadian Sniders - both lock-plate dated 1862, and certainly one at least predates 1867 as it is devoid of DC stamps. They signify Dominion Confederation, BTW.

Both have bores like a nickel etc.....and with one of Martyn's fine moulds making a .600" Minié bullet I'm sure they'll both perform well. The short rifle, assigned to the Québec Garrison Artillery, I shot before it was given to me, so I know that that baby shoots!

See -

tac

That is cool!! I am certain that @AndyinEverson will jealous.

See -

tac

Cool! That was fun, tac!
Boy, an impact from that big, baby would really spoil your day......and your shorts! :)

To the OP, it's a .22 LR. Shoot standard velocity ammo thru it and enjoy. Don't dry fire the rifle, that's bad for those older one. You can put 50,000 rounds thru and and not hurt it one bit. Keep it clean and lubed and enjoy.

'Course if we are talking old guns ...
Then my oldest which I still shoot from time to time.
A 1760's Joseph Barber pocket pistol.
.40 caliber ... 15 grains of 2F with a . 10 patch and a .375 round ball*.
*yes everything in the load is undersize to keep pressure low.
Andy
DSC03431.jpg

Sticking to any possible length restrictions (short, long, long rifle) and barring bent or plugged barrel, it is pretty hard to blow up a 22 center fire rifle no matter what it's age. Broken, or breaking irreplaceable parts would be your only drawback even then, unless it is rare or has some unique proven provenance, I say shoot it with a "Here's one for you Grandpa"

See -

tac

Very nice, I have been trying to find a decent Snider for a while now, all I seem to find are the non British made ones.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top