JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most anywhere right there, some spots are clearer than others, sagebrush wise. We grow some BIG sagebrush over here. But you have to walk your targets out, those roads are all closed, except the main one.

Most anywhere right there, some spots are clearer than others, sagebrush wise. We grow some BIG sagebrush over here. But you have to walk your targets out, those roads are all closed, except the main one.
Cool - I can see that being a good spot. For SPOT A (https://goo.gl/maps/DddzgDdFyvYKMJqx5) it looks like there's an established dirt road that seems like it could be used for driving targets out.

Any tips on how to know what the weather will be out there before driving 90 minutes and finding out it's too windy? I'm guessing just check the weather for Selah, WA here - https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/selah/98942/weather-forecast/341360

Cool - I can see that being a good spot. For SPOT A (https://goo.gl/maps/DddzgDdFyvYKMJqx5) it looks like there's an established dirt road that seems like it could be used for driving targets out.

Any tips on how to know what the weather will be out there before driving 90 minutes and finding out it's too windy? I'm guessing just check the weather for Selah, WA here - https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/selah/98942/weather-forecast/341360
Accuweather is pretty good, I use them when I'm flagging.
But ALL OF THOSE ROADS ARE CLOSED, except the main Umptanum Rd. Any road open will be designated by a Green reflector on a yellow delineator. No Green Dot, NO GO.

Accuweather is pretty good, I use them when I'm flagging.
But ALL OF THOSE ROADS ARE CLOSED, except the main Umptanum Rd. Any road open will be designated by a Green reflector on a yellow delineator. No Green Dot, NO GO.

Are these safe for the wife's black family SUV type roads or Rubicon type roads? (looks pretty tame from Google maps, but they can be very deceiving)

I'm assuming this is the resource for learning more about green dot roads (new concept to me):

By closed do you mean permanently closed or just seasonally closed right now?

I tried finding an image of the green reflector you speak of but it didn't turn up right away in Google.

Umptanum Rd is a County road, there are people that live further out so it is maintained as much as most gravel roads are. As for green Dots, they vary between the quality of Umptanum and You need a jeep. If you want to STAY married, I wouldn't take her vehicle off the main road. :D

Umptanum Rd is a County road, there are people that live further out so it is maintained as much as most gravel roads are. As for green Dots, they vary between the quality of Umptanum and You need a jeep. If you want to STAY married, I wouldn't take her vehicle off the main road. :D

So it seems like taking Umptanum road all the way from I-90 and turning around by the time it turns into N Wenas Road at the bend is the way to go as I'll be in the wife's black Mercedes SUV. It's highly competent off road but its just got all-weather tires so I've got to take it easy. I also want to keep the shiny bits shiny after I get it back home and clean it up.

IMG_3199.jpg

I live and shoot on the other side of the valley. I haven't shot over there in 4-5 years. I HUNT over there because I grew up there and know it well. But it's at least 40 minutes from my house to get there.

My son tried to scoop it with a rake, no luck. My wife used a pitch fork to carry it out to the creek bed. I just hold the head down, grab them and carry them, but I was at work.

I thought that is what those CCI Shotshells were good for in pistols

Yeah, if I see a snake like that it's going to meet its maker - I'm not a big fan of snakes

I grew up in the river delta south of New Orleans so I'm very used to coming across snakes, alligators and all sorts of scary stuff. As Big Dog mentioned - generally if you just ignore them and walk away you'll be fine, but if I saw snakes like the ones posted here I'm not taking any chances.

I grew up in the river delta south of New Orleans so I'm very used to coming across snakes, alligators and all sorts of scary stuff.

I'll take the rattlers over that. I love Louisiana but the creatures seem to want to kill you, and the bugs want to drain your blood. All we have to worry about on this side of the mountains are some spiders that may or may not leave a bad wound. And those weren't even around when I was growing up here.

Last Edited:
After a great weekend this past weekend where I got a rare chance to shoot at 650 and 1000 yards and hit steel at those distances for the first time, so I'm itching for more distance shooting practice.

I live in King County and am looking for recommendations on the best place I can go to get some practice in at 500 yards or greater with my 6.5 Creedmoor rifle.
You might check around at the Sportsmens clubs in the Pewget Sound. I know Tac Sportsmans club (Puyallup area) holds 600 yard shoots etc, so there has to be more than just that club that are over 500 yds..

You might check around at the Sportsmens clubs in the Pewget Sound. I know Tac Sportsmans club (Puyallup area) holds 600 yard shoots etc, so there has to be more than just that club that are over 500 yds..
Tac looks like it only goes out to 200 on a regular basis and 600 is a monthly competition use only. Upper Nisqually Sportsman's Club has a 550 that's usually open unless special events force it to close, so that's probably a better "local" range for me. It is closer than this place too, but I'm also wanting a place where I can go 800 yards and beyond so this is a good choice for that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top