JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not sure where this came from. Pyrodex, particularly Pyrodex P [the P stands for pistol] works just fine in a percussion gun of any kind. It does NOT work well, if at all, in a flintlock pan, as the ignition temperature for Pyrodex is way higher than that of black powder and the spark does not ignite it well...

I've been shooting 99% Pyrodex in my couple of percussion revolvers since March 2nd, 1986, and for four years before that in Berlin, shooting somebody else's. BP, being an explosive, was prohibited in Berlin under the Four Power Agreement limiting access to military calibre firearms and explosives for civilians [I was not a civilian, but I WAS a member of BSN Heros, a civilian club, that shot at Rose Ranges in the US Sector]/ All there was, was Pyrodex, and we shot a TON of it. I shoot two loads - 24gr and 30gr, but NO wad and NO grease, just an emoluent water-based handcream called E45. It washes away when cleaning, taking all the crud with it. Do NOT use ANY kind of petroleum-based grease on the cylinder axis pin - the heat will turn it to a solid mass of coked-on carbon.

As an example, here is Pyrodex P not working in a Ruger Old Army -

From the Hodgdon reloading guide [they make the stuff, BTW] -

Hodgdon Pyrodex P is intended to be a direct replacement for FFFg Black powder when measured volumetrically using a black powder measure. The principal uses for Pyrodex P are in muzzleloading pistols, cap and ball revolvers, and in small bore, muzzleloading rifles.

I know it works great. However, I've had traditionalist types tell me pyrodex is garbage. What they don't know is I've probably fired off way more Pyrodex than they could even imagine. I guess if we want to go by years and dates, 1979 was the first time I fired a black powder pistol. Later in '87 I got one of my own. So yes Tac, I know it works just fine in a cap and ball revolver. ;)

I am one of those traditionalist types...and while Pyrodex will work in revolvers...
I have found in my experience that:
It is more corrosive than black powder..
"Iffy" / unreliable in many:
percussion rifles and shotguns..
Fairly good in Muskets / Rifled Muskets...
And worthless for flintlocks.

Now I understand that in some places , its Pyrodex or nothing....Also I know that we all have different luck or some folks have better use with the same products.
I also do not ever want to be thought of as a pompous know-it-all....that is not my intent.

If someone likes Pyrodex , then use it...I just have had negative experiences with it , in my guns....
Andy

BP IS available here, cooking stuff is around $45 a pound, and the top-class Swiss stuff about $80. The downer is that you have to go get it, as having it delivered to your door costs $40 a can...whereas all four of my LGS have Pyrodex, and none of them is more than a half hour drive. The Swiss stuff is in Pudsey, Yorkshire, about 280 miles up the road...

Going shooting this very morning, in half an hour or so...whoopee! Face is still feeling v. strange, so it won't be a right-handed rifle today.

Best to all my friends over there from me, Mrs tac and the fambly ig, the Christmas Vulture...
upload_2018-12-24_9-50-13.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads