JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pretty much same as you buying a gun online and having it shipped to me. You and the seller come in, we log the gun in from the seller, do the background check then assuming the buyer gets a proceed log the gun out to them. The State long gun and handgun laws apply but overall it's pretty simple.
So the Oregon seller and Washington buyer come in and you can do the transfer. But you couldn't do it the other way around; which would be a Washington seller and Oregon buyer into a Washington gun store? The buyer has to do the transfer in their home state, but the seller could go into the buyers state to do the deal. Is this right?

So the Oregon seller and Washington buyer come in and you can do the transfer. But you couldn't do it the other way around; which would be a Washington seller and Oregon buyer into a Washington gun store? The buyer has to do the transfer in their home state, but the seller could go into the buyers state to do the deal. Is this right?
Hand guns have to be done in the buyers state but you can go into OR and buy a long gun through a dealer.

I am new to WA state and the PNW so these firearms transfer laws regarding private sales are confusing.

So I live in WA and I would like to sell a number of my handguns in private sales to individuals. From my understanding I have to go to an FFL holder and transfer the weapon to another WA resident private buyer via the FFL holder pending a background check or a certain period of time has elapsed, correct?

If that is correct then does anyone know any FFLs around Moses Lake who will do these types of transactions?

Thank you for any help.

........... does anyone know any FFLs around Moses Lake who will do these types of transactions?
Thank you for any help.
You will probably have to call around, to find someone that will do transfers for private sales. Not everyone will. One of my local gun stores only does it for customer convenience, because of the time that it takes; which in their case it is a two day process. A local pawn shop, that sells guns, doesn't do private transfers. Another thing, I've seen the price can be anywhere from $25 to $75 too. YMMV

Soooo people are actually supporting this law? Forgive me as I'm relatively new to the state and had heard that most folks were peacefully resisting and ignoring this law. I'm just trying to understand what the bulk of folks are doing? Additionally, is anyone being prosecuted for not following this law?

Soooo people are actually supporting this law? Forgive me as I'm relatively new to the state and had heard that most folks were peacefully resisting and ignoring this law. I'm just trying to understand what the bulk of folks are doing? Additionally, is anyone being prosecuted for not following this law?

Zero prosecutions in the 19 months its been in effect and I'd imagine that the people ignoring this law aren't really posting about it online so pretty hard to gauge the percentage of people following it.

Hmm, let's just say I've seen other people disregard the law completely including at a gun show I was recently at... :rolleyes:

That being said, all the guns I've bought privately after 594 have still gone through an FFL. As far as I can tell, people are probably afraid that when dealing with people online, you'd look mighty suspicious if you asked not to make a transfer through an FFL, and plus once you agree to the transfer without an FFL, in some form of electronic communication , it could come back to bite you *if* the government starts prosecuting the law as there would be pretty blatant evidence they could use against you.

Basically, nobody likes the law but they also don't want to get arrested for not following it is what I gather.

Most gun stores seem to be on the verge of going out of business, it seems to me that it is a very difficult industry for a business to thrive in. Even if it just covers an employees wages while they are doing the transfer, it makes some sense. Most gun store employees don't seem overly taxed, I'm not saying they aren't hard working people, in my experience, in smaller stores, I'm not seeing a huge line of people waiting to apply to do business. I don't understand why any FFL would pass up an additional revenue stream afforded them under the law.of I could score 15 or 20 bucks off every legal gun transaction happening in my side of town, I think I would make the time to do the paperwork.

The profit on a transactio is nil and in retail business and sales staff must generate enough revenue to pay not not their wages but gross operating cost. Often customers come in waves so while the employee is spending time with a 20.00 transfer it take away from time from money making sales.

I wounder how much money NW Armory has lost because sometimes they are so busy and unable to help people in a timely manor. I was going to by a rifle but couldn't get timely help so I left ( meaning to go back) but ended up buying at a gun show.. That's the reality of retail

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top