Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Where to go for an I-594 check?

Discussion in 'Firearm Laws & Legal' started by RickB, Apr 12, 2016.

1. RickB

RickB Greater Seattle area Member

Where has anyone gone for a background check on a sale between non-dealers?
    I'm not aware of any gun stores or FFLs who are willing to do it.
    There's apparently nothing in the law that requires dealers to perform the action that the law requires the gun seller and purchaser to endure.

2. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It's the same here in Oregon - FFL's are not required by SB941 to handle private transfers, but many do. I don't know your area, but around here, pawn shops seem to be about the best deal going. I avoid gun stores because they tend to be at least twice the price of the pawn shops. If you haven't done so yet, check some local pawn shops and see what deals they may have for you. It's easy money for them, so I'd be willing to bet you'll find a couple.

You might also check the list of FFL's for your area and see if there are any home-based folks willing to do it. I know several in this area will handle them.

3. floorit

floorit Kent, Washington New Member

Most FFLs will perform the transfers. I just got my FFL a week ago we do transfers this month for $15 but my store is in spanaway

4. tbs1684

tbs1684 Tacoma/Walla Walla, WA New Member

If you're in the south sound, Quantico Tactical in Lakewood will do it for $15 (though only on certain days for some reason), Marksman in Puyallup does it for $35, and Mary's Pistols and Welcher's do it for $50 in Tacoma. I believe in Bellevue, Low Price Guns does it for ~$20. Possibly 2nd amendment industries as well.

Doc In UPlace likes this.
  5. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

Most gun stores seem to be on the verge of going out of business, it seems to me that it is a very difficult industry for a business to thrive in. Even if it just covers an employees wages while they are doing the transfer, it makes some sense. Most gun store employees don't seem overly taxed, I'm not saying they aren't hard working people, in my experience, in smaller stores, I'm not seeing a huge line of people waiting to apply to do business. I don't understand why any FFL would pass up an additional revenue stream afforded them under the law.of I could score 15 or 20 bucks off every legal gun transaction happening in my side of town, I think I would make the time to do the paperwork.

6. tbs1684

tbs1684 Tacoma/Walla Walla, WA New Member

To each store their own... As I understand an FFL must keep a record of every transaction readily available to the ATF, which I'm sure takes time to organize and space to store.

Also, I'm guessing with some small stores that only have 1-2 people at the counter, you're getting a few bucks profit in exchange for your employee being pre-occupied with the transfer instead of potentially selling a gun at the store, at a much higher profit margin. Additionally, I imagine some gun stores see transfers as a loss in profit for them. If you can buy the gun new or used online for significantly less than what they charge, why would they want to encourage that?

Finally, I've heard that there is a fee for accessing the NICS background check. If I recall it was $15 according to some people online. If that's the case on a $20 firearm transfer, the store is making $5 profit and using one of their employees for up to an hour. That isn't good business logic. Then again while the person is in the store for the transfer, they may be inclined to purchase something else with their newfound money.

All in all it seems like a very complicated subject with lots of different philosophies for store owners. Sorry for the rant everyone.

7. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

Im a pretty loyal guy, if you make it a good experience for me to do a transfer, I'm going to support your store. If you are a gun shop a-hole that seems to be bothered by my entering your store, I'll pass that along whenever I get the opportunity.

I just had an awesome gun shop open up by my house, they are new shooter and woman friendly. I'm going to support them with my gunsmith business, new gun purchases, ammo purchases, FFL transfers, and accessories. I bring my friends and family and recommend them to folks that I chat with about guns.

8. ChiefStealth

ChiefStealth Graham, Wa. Well-Known Member

I've been in four different stores in the last week and a half. All said they do BGC for private sales. I suggest you go out of Seattle and check.

9. Fordcragar

Fordcragar Renton, Washington Active Member

I've used a gun dealer in Lynnwood, NitroGuns; which does them. Pinto's Gun Shop in Renton will also do them. NitroGuns charges $25, Pinto's charges $30. Some that I checked before went all the way to $75, so the best bet is to call around.

10. TCOV

TCOV OLYMPIC PENINSULA Active Member

I don't believe there is a fee for the NICS call but think a dealer told me there was a cost for the software if using the computer check. Not positive on that. Oregon uses their state police for the checks and I believe the agency charges $10. Background calls for me on a busy NICS day have taken an hour sometimes. That is an hour that the employee handling the call can not wait on another customer. I have had delays with the computer check but the last one went ok and does not tie up the employee.[/QUOTE]

11. SportingSys

SportingSys Vancouver Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

In Vancouver, we do private party checks in store. We don't charge for fire, military, vets or Police. www.Sporting-Systems.com

12. Drewbaby27

Drewbaby27 Vancouver, WA New Member

No charge for Veterans you say? Expect some business later today.

13. SportingSys

SportingSys Vancouver Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Please bring proof of service and your first transfer, per day, is free. Private party, no tax. Commercial transfers, taxes are collected. 2nd transferred item (same day) is $20. Hope that's clear enough.

Brutus57 and Drewbaby27 like this.
  14. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

Most stores will do them as their goal is to get you into the store and maybe you will see something else you want to buy while you are there. This is why grocery stores advertise sale items, it is to get you into the store hoping you will buy other items while you are there. Why do you think Costco still sells their rotisserie chicken for $5.

15. Fordcragar

I was in Ben's Loan in Renton, looking at guns and asked the SA about private transfers. He said that they don't do them. They'll do the transfer if you buy a gun but nothing else. They usually have some interesting guns though.

16. Simonpie

Simonpie Portland Active Member

If you're a member of Gunbroker ($1) they have a nice "find an FFL" service. It lists a lot of home shop FFLs that may be closer or cheaper than a brick and mortar store.

17. Drewbaby27

Drewbaby27 Vancouver, WA New Member

is it this site:

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/SearchForFFL.aspx?st=Zip Code&sv=98660

I tried using this version (if this is the 'free' one) and I find it really painful, as it doesn't show city-wide, results differ for each zip, and the map doesn't refresh when you look at a different part (selecting WA focuses on the Seattle area, but if you move the map, you don't get any other selections).

18. NWCustomFirearms

NWCustomFirearms Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

We do private transfers in Vancouver. Do a lot of OR to WA transfers as well.

Dungannon and Drewbaby27 like this.
  19. Fordcragar

Not trying to hijack the thread, but how does a OR to WA transfer work?

20. NWCustomFirearms

NWCustomFirearms Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Pretty much same as you buying a gun online and having it shipped to me. You and the seller come in, we log the gun in from the seller, do the background check then assuming the buyer gets a proceed log the gun out to them. The State long gun and handgun laws apply but overall it's pretty simple.