JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the response. I've been checking this out and I think the best answer is to send them to Colman. They will go through each lantern cleaning components and replacing what's needed for $55 per lantern. Get them back in 4-5 weeks. 3 lamps without globes or vent caps will fit in one large priority USPS box.

I can be working on the camper and boat during the 4-5 weeks.

Thanks for the response. I've been checking this out and I think the best answer is to send them to Colman. They will go through each lantern cleaning components and replacing what's needed for $55 per lantern. Get them back in 4-5 weeks. 3 lamps without globes or vent caps will fit in one large priority USPS box.

I can be working on the camper and boat during the 4-5 weeks.
There use to be a sporting goods store near Andy and Bax that sold the parts to rehab them yourself. It's not difficult, those things are brutally strong. Possibly you ran some old gas in it and the thing got clogged? The Coleman brand gas works even when it's 15 years old in my 2 stoves (a 45 year old Svea and an even older 2 burner coleman) . The Svea (now owned by Primus) only needs a needle stuck in the end periodically, and the Coleman needs the cork on the pump replaced at times (but will go years and years with a tad of lube). We stopped using the Coleman lanterns as the mantles kept falling apart in transit and it's just a pain to keep putting new ones on.

Anyway, good luck!

There use to be a sporting goods store near Andy and Bax that sold the parts to rehab them yourself. It's not difficult, those things are brutally strong. Possibly you ran some old gas in it and the thing got clogged? The Coleman brand gas works even when it's 15 years old in my 2 stoves (a 45 year old Svea and an even older 2 burner coleman) . The Svea (now owned by Primus) only needs a needle stuck in the end periodically, and the Coleman needs the cork on the pump replaced at times (but will go years and years with a tad of lube). We stopped using the Coleman lanterns as the mantles kept falling apart in transit and it's just a pain to keep putting new ones on.

Anyway, good luck!
Ollie Damon's is/was who your talking about. They moved from SE Grand out to Halsey and 104th(or so) and then closed for good. :( Really sucks for all those guys that need their reels worked on. And Ollie Damon's hired handicapped people to sit there and refurb reels.

I have a few older Coleman gas lanterns.
I bought them used.
Function has always been spotty.

Any (reliable) sources for repair in the PNW?

Thanks in advance....
BG
All those parts are available on line. They're not that hard, or expensive to work on. The generators, graphite washers, caps knobs. The tank being corroded/rusty is probably a no go, but barring that?

Ollie Damon's is/was who your talking about. They moved from SE Grand out to Halsey and 104th(or so) and then closed for good. :( Really sucks for all those guys that need their reels worked on. And Ollie Damon's hired handicapped people to sit there and refurb reels.
Oh, MAN, that sucks, I used to have Ollie Damon's re build reels all the time! They were also really good at fixing up air guns and all kinds of other things! THIS SUKZ!!!

I know Andy and Bax sells "Kits" for the Colman's stoves and lanterns, so you could try them!
I have also seen kit's at R.E.I. but don't know if they still carry them, best to call!

We stopped using the Coleman lanterns as the mantles kept falling apart in transit
This plus they are bulky and you have carry flammable fuel. I have a few of the newer ones that run on propane canisters but these are bulky too and getting expensive. Nowadays I only keep them at home for emergencies.

For mobile applications (i.e. camping) I've switched to LED lanterns. They are small, light, run forever on a couple of AA batteries, and no mantles. They put out an incredible amount of light for their size. For the cost of refurbing 1 old Coleman you could buy 3 good LED lamps.

Coleman's have the nostalgia factor to be sure, but are totally obsolete IMO.

This plus they are bulky and you have carry flammable fuel. I have a few of the newer ones that run on propane canisters but these are bulky too and getting expensive. Nowadays I only keep them at home for emergencies.

For mobile applications (i.e. camping) I've switched to LED lanterns. They are small, light, run forever on a couple of AA batteries, and no mantles. They put out an incredible amount of light for their size. For the cost of refurbing 1 old Coleman you could buy 3 good LED lamps.

Ahh, the smell of the Colman white gas lanterns blended with the slightly musty odor of old canvas tents! Add the smell of the forest, or ocean, and boiled camp coffee in the morning, and there I am.

One of the biggest advantages of those Colman lanterns was winter time hunting camp, those lanterns put out some serious BTU's, enough that a couple of them in the canvases tent would keep us nice and warm while it snowed outside! Can't get that from the LEDs! We never had issue with the mantles coming apart ether, don't know if we were just lucky or there was some trick no one else knew, but I still have the same mantles in a couple of my nickle plated Old School Colmans that still run beautifully today, haven't had to change one in over 30 years! Even the stoves hold up very well, I think I have only had to replace the seals in one pump in the 30+ years of running them!

This turned into a good thread.
These are two red model 200 single mantel lanterns and one green double mantel lantern.
I really like them around camp.
Planning a trip for sometime around the end of the year and trying to get everything in top shape.

Maybe I'll think about doing them myself.
Thanks....BG

This turned into a good thread.
These are two red model 200 single mantel lanterns and one green double mantel lantern.
I really like them around camp.
Planning a trip for sometime around the end of the year and trying to get everything in top shape.

Maybe I'll think about doing them myself.
Thanks....BG
I had something like six double burner lanterns I'd picked up over the years. Always thought I'd use 'em for something. I did, finally. Got pretty decent money for them at a moving sale! :s0114: Hade 5-6 Colman stoves, including a classic three burner and a Canadian Colman two burner, un fired. Sold most of those too. All I saved was a 30 YO 2-burner stove, one 2-burner lantern, and one of the red single burner lanterns. I swear, the single burner puts out more light than the larger 2-burner models. I don't camp anymore so I keep them for emergency use.

One of the biggest advantages of those Colman lanterns was winter time hunting camp, those lanterns put out some serious BTU's, enough that a couple of them in the canvases tent would keep us nice and warm while it snowed outside!
That's why I keep them around home for power outages. They do help keep a room warm during a winter storm. But I don't camp when it's seriously cold outside so LEDs work great for me. I see where you're coming from tho.

Ahh, the smell of the Colman white gas lanterns blended with the slightly musty odor of old canvas tents! Add the smell of the forest, or ocean, and boiled camp coffee in the morning, and there I am.
@Mikej, you're singing my song camping in the old growth of the Willamette National Forest along a mountain lake stargazing on a clear summer night. That is some manly perfume; manfume.

Since I couldn't find any not made in China, I got the one made by Streamlight and I'm happy with it. It's bright, last really long, takes standard batteries, is tiny compared to my old lanterns and is very rugged.

Now that alone would make the rebuild worth it.

I close my eyes and remember an old GP medium we used for several years. Its funny how you can still smell those memories. Good times.

I close my eyes and remember an old GP medium we used for several years. Its funny how you can still smell those memories. Good times.
The crappy deal is I've lost my sense of smell in the last year. I smell some things, but they don't smell like they should. Taste is gone too. It's really EFFFED with my joy of cooking and eating. :mad:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top