JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After disassembling, coating and reassembling my CZ82 with all 55 parts I got the bug and want try and learn some more gun smithing and refinishing techniques.

Where does one find 'gunsmith special' handguns? Something that might not work well or is broken but is potentially fixable to a novice.

Century has like 3, SOG has one, J&G has one. really very little in the way of options. old C&R eligible ones would be even better for me.

There has got to be more dead handguns around somewhere for a hobbyist to work on.

I went by The Gun Broker and then have a few boxes of dead long guns for spare parts but no pistols "we dont accept any non-working pistols" was the response I got. They were my best local bet for a non-working handgun to try and fix.

Cool, at very least thedealershowroom has a Browning Hi Power internal extractor.

I talked to H&K gunshop in Forest Grove and he has several he keeps around for parts so I'll be giving him a visit.

Cool, at very least thedealershowroom has a Browning Hi Power internal extractor.

I talked to H&K gunshop in Forest Grove and he has several he keeps around for parts so I'll be giving him a visit.

I would call any of them and not rely on what's listed on the sites I posted links for.

On some of the facebook groups I belong to I have seen people just ask for old broken guns for the reason you want and they have received several replies with offers. You might just try asking.

:D There are times I come across gun that are parts kits, they sell rather fast. What parts set would you want, knowing the frame is destroyed?

I would call any of them and not rely on what's listed on the sites I posted links for.

I agree with deadeye - I've seen John's old shop (dealer showroom) before he moved to OR, the guy has a ton of stuff. His old shop looked like an avalanche of boxes full of parts kits, demilled guns, parts kits, and broken stuff. Even though it looked completely without organization he knew where to find just about any part I was after. He usually only advertises the stuff he has fairly large quantities of on hand. A friend bought 4 or 5 demilled guns from him and welded them back up to sell at one of those gun "buyback" deals. In reality they would never shoot again without a ton of work but they were cobbled together well enough to make a click when the trigger was pulled so it was good enough.... nothing like getting them to pay you to get "bad guns" off the street without them knowing they really were bad (to the point of not working)....

Show up a the next gun buy back event.
A lot of the guns being brought in are non functional or in rough condition.
I've bought a bunch from people that didn't want to wait inline for over four hours.
Some were near mint condition.

When I get guns in that are beyond what it financially responsible to fix, they generally get stripped and the parts sold off or kept in a drawer for later. I don't keep many guns in the shop that are fixable by the novice, otherwise, I probably would have fixed them and sold them. Your best bet looking for projects to work on is the classifieds here, the local nickel ads, facebook, etc. Putting an ad in will get someone who has a broken gun laying around to respond eventually...
Good luck!

When I get guns in that are beyond what it financially responsible to fix, they generally get stripped and the parts sold off or kept in a drawer for later. I don't keep many guns in the shop that are fixable by the novice, otherwise, I probably would have fixed them and sold them. Your best bet looking for projects to work on is the classifieds here, the local nickel ads, facebook, etc. Putting an ad in will get someone who has a broken gun laying around to respond eventually...
Good luck!

Thanks, when I initially started looking I was hoping to find more options like this

<broken link removed>

$60 no grips and mechanical problems. If I cant get it fixed up Im not really out much but I got some experience and education out of it. But it seems pretty clear now that a good chunk of the dead guns go to parts.

But let me know if you get anything in that doesnt need fancy gunsmithing to get it fixed up especially if it is C&R eligible. (though Im a little be proud of myself using my drill press as a make-shift lathe to get a new internal extractor for my Mk1 Hi Power to fit and function properly)

Im not that far away from your shop

Feel free to stop by. If you end up with one of the 1903 Colts mentioned above, I have a drawer just for those parts and might be able to help you get it back up and running.

Well, I got one to work on. Eastern Arms co. 38. (it was a sears brand, probably made by Meriden Fire arms).

Its a bit loose, the hammer does not lock back. But it still has rifling and all the parts and will be a good on to practice refinishing and bluing on.

Best part $25 (H&K gunshop in Forest Grove)

dzfshys.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads