JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went to the Monroe gun show today and saw only a handful of lever actions bigger than .22. Then at Cabela's almost none in the used section and just a couple of new ones, Henry's.
My friend is looking for a 30 30. Cabela's had one Henry for about $689.00 but I liked the stainless 45 70 carbine lever gun. Course I like the gentle kiss of a 30 06 as well.:cool:

Brutus Out

Only 30-06 lever action I know of would be a Winchester model 1895 (starting price around $1800 for a good shooter and 2500.00 for a nice one) original or new production and the Browning BLR a current production rifle.

A Savage 99 can be had in .308 but not '06. Most lever gun are tube fed which don't lend well to such rounds and must be a blind or box mag.

I'm a Marlin lever gun fan with the 1895 45-70 being my fav.

Hence the Winchester model 1895 which is feed from an internal box mag. and the Browning BLR which feeds from a DBM.

I have been trying to find a good stainless marlin in .357 for as long as I have been shooting. I got my hands on a nice 1963 marlin in .44mag but it was just not what I was looking for.

Lever guns of any collector value are HOT right now. Old Winchester's, if available at a decent price are a better investment than any stock(unless you bought Ruger stock 20 years ago). Old Marlin's are right on their heel's, as anyone unable to afford a proper Winchester collection can have several Marlin's for the price of one Winchester, but the prices are climbing all the time.

Outside of collector models, I believe that people are finally catching on the usefulness of a lever gun. The intermediate cartridges(.30-.30, .32 Win., .35 Rem.) are great, but in a revolver round is where I believe they truly shine. .32-20, .38-40, .44-40, .357, .44, .41, .454 Casull. I believe them all to be quite useful when paired with a revolver chambered for the same round.

Personally, I see more lever guns at big stores than anywhere else. Cabela's, Sportsmen's Warehouse, even Walmart carries a Marlin 336 or two. That they are popular probably means you are making the right choice. Keep your eyes peeled, you'll find what you're looking for.

Cant wait to find a Marlin in 35 Remington.......

You're speaking my language, Brother. I am a huge fan of the .358 projectiles in a revolver or rifle.

In my opinion, the .35 Rem. shines with 200 grain bullets at 2000-2100fps. 220's at 1950-2000 are fine as well. I would go no heavier in a .35Rem., but I would consider going down to 180's(@ 2200fps+-) for deer.

Personally, the holy grail for me is a Savage 99 in .358 Win.(but who has $2,000 for a rare rifle that no one is selling anyway?) Then we are up to 200's at 2500 or 250's at 2250.

I fondled a stainless Rossi levergun in 45 Colt a while back. Had a 16" barrel and by the time I got back to the store with cash, someone else had got her. Besides the goofy and totally useless safety on top of the bolt, it was a sweet little rifle. Now I can't find one anywhere.

I've 4 Marlins, two 45/70s, a 1958 30/30 & a 44 mag. And one Henry in 22lr. Make that 2 Henrys in 22lr. I ran across one with the octagon barrel for a really good price today. It's on layaway at the lgs.

I'm always looking for a good deal on a lever gun. I'd like to find a waffle top Marlin in .35 Rem., a Marlin Texan in any caliber & a Marlin JM guide gun.

A nice Winchester 94 would be good too. And a Browning 1886 copy of the Winchester.

I've got enough to keep me happy. But hope to add one or so a year.

Almost forgot, I'm thinking about a Rossi in .357 mag. Can't find a Marlin.

I have a Winchester 1886 1 of 1,00 High Grade 45-70 Full Mag Octagon as new in box.
Not the common short mag "lightweight".

Also a 95% Browning B-92 in .357 Magnum. Not many made. Highest quality 92 I have ever seen. Made by Mirouku in Japan.

Used to have a lot of feedback on SGN...............

I have a Winchester Model 1887, 10 gauge lever action shotugn, up for sale actually, if you are looking for a real "peacekeeper"... I also have a Winchester 1892 in 25-20 cal up for sale. I am keeping the other winchester 1892, in 25-20 also. I want to call in a coyote and shoot him with the lever action 25-20 with open sights, and video the hunt... That would be kinda cool...

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews