JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went to the Monroe gun show today and saw only a handful of lever actions bigger than .22. Then at Cabela's almost none in the used section and just a couple of new ones, Henry's.
My friend is looking for a 30 30. Cabela's had one Henry for about $689.00 but I liked the stainless 45 70 carbine lever gun. Course I like the gentle kiss of a 30 06 as well.:cool:

Brutus Out

Only 30-06 lever action I know of would be a Winchester model 1895 (starting price around $1800 for a good shooter and 2500.00 for a nice one) original or new production and the Browning BLR a current production rifle.

A Savage 99 can be had in .308 but not '06. Most lever gun are tube fed which don't lend well to such rounds and must be a blind or box mag.

I'm a Marlin lever gun fan with the 1895 45-70 being my fav.

Hence the Winchester model 1895 which is feed from an internal box mag. and the Browning BLR which feeds from a DBM.

I have been trying to find a good stainless marlin in .357 for as long as I have been shooting. I got my hands on a nice 1963 marlin in .44mag but it was just not what I was looking for.

Lever guns of any collector value are HOT right now. Old Winchester's, if available at a decent price are a better investment than any stock(unless you bought Ruger stock 20 years ago). Old Marlin's are right on their heel's, as anyone unable to afford a proper Winchester collection can have several Marlin's for the price of one Winchester, but the prices are climbing all the time.

Outside of collector models, I believe that people are finally catching on the usefulness of a lever gun. The intermediate cartridges(.30-.30, .32 Win., .35 Rem.) are great, but in a revolver round is where I believe they truly shine. .32-20, .38-40, .44-40, .357, .44, .41, .454 Casull. I believe them all to be quite useful when paired with a revolver chambered for the same round.

Personally, I see more lever guns at big stores than anywhere else. Cabela's, Sportsmen's Warehouse, even Walmart carries a Marlin 336 or two. That they are popular probably means you are making the right choice. Keep your eyes peeled, you'll find what you're looking for.

Cant wait to find a Marlin in 35 Remington.......

You're speaking my language, Brother. I am a huge fan of the .358 projectiles in a revolver or rifle.

In my opinion, the .35 Rem. shines with 200 grain bullets at 2000-2100fps. 220's at 1950-2000 are fine as well. I would go no heavier in a .35Rem., but I would consider going down to 180's(@ 2200fps+-) for deer.

Personally, the holy grail for me is a Savage 99 in .358 Win.(but who has $2,000 for a rare rifle that no one is selling anyway?) Then we are up to 200's at 2500 or 250's at 2250.

I fondled a stainless Rossi levergun in 45 Colt a while back. Had a 16" barrel and by the time I got back to the store with cash, someone else had got her. Besides the goofy and totally useless safety on top of the bolt, it was a sweet little rifle. Now I can't find one anywhere.

I've 4 Marlins, two 45/70s, a 1958 30/30 & a 44 mag. And one Henry in 22lr. Make that 2 Henrys in 22lr. I ran across one with the octagon barrel for a really good price today. It's on layaway at the lgs.

I'm always looking for a good deal on a lever gun. I'd like to find a waffle top Marlin in .35 Rem., a Marlin Texan in any caliber & a Marlin JM guide gun.

A nice Winchester 94 would be good too. And a Browning 1886 copy of the Winchester.

I've got enough to keep me happy. But hope to add one or so a year.

Almost forgot, I'm thinking about a Rossi in .357 mag. Can't find a Marlin.

I have a Winchester 1886 1 of 1,00 High Grade 45-70 Full Mag Octagon as new in box.
Not the common short mag "lightweight".

Also a 95% Browning B-92 in .357 Magnum. Not many made. Highest quality 92 I have ever seen. Made by Mirouku in Japan.

Used to have a lot of feedback on SGN...............

I have a Winchester Model 1887, 10 gauge lever action shotugn, up for sale actually, if you are looking for a real "peacekeeper"... I also have a Winchester 1892 in 25-20 cal up for sale. I am keeping the other winchester 1892, in 25-20 also. I want to call in a coyote and shoot him with the lever action 25-20 with open sights, and video the hunt... That would be kinda cool...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top