JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just thinking, I do not drive after a drop of alcohol. I believe that carrying concealed or not. It is just as important.
Weather if your angry or impaired in any way, The responsibility is huge. So when do you disarm? Me, I carry pepper spray after a coupla of brews and just stay home.
Be well.

I almost always drink at home these days too. Which brings up another question about being armed at home while drinking.
It would certainly muddy the waters of an otherwise justified home self defense case.

Well, I don't drink very much in general. If we meet friends for dinner my limit is one glass of red wine, with dinner.
Matter of fact, thinking about it, one glass is pretty much my limit at home also.

I don't drink enough that the booze would impair my judgement while carrying a gun. A glass of wine with my meal isn't going to be anywhere near a legal limit, I eat and drink slow and enjoy the meal. Sometimes I have a couple of whiskies in the evening but they just lull me to sleep.:D

This is an interesting topic I hadn't given enough thought to. Myself I very rarely drink more then one alcoholic beverage. However there are occasions, last night being one as we went to a friends house to watch the superbowl. I had 4 drinks and only did so because my wife had volunteered to be the designated driver.

I don't concealed carry currently but I will be within a few months and plan to carry whenever its legal to do so thereafter. That said my wife isn't comfortable nor interested in carrying, so I won't have a "designated carrier" so to speak. I think for me this will mean I won't be drinking beyond my 1 limit, unless I'm willing to go unarmed which is unlikely.

A second point that comes up, as I've seen alluded to above. What do you all think about drinking to impairment (whatever that amount is subjectively) within your home with regards to then being called on to defend yourself or your family? Again for me I have to take the majority of the burden as far as armed defense. I have taken my wife shooting and will be trying to increase her comfort around firearms but I don't expect that to be a quick process for her. Therefore if I choose to have several drinks at home am I then:
1) Capable of defending my family safely?
2) Going to run into legal issues if I have to use lethal force?

I do not drink in public and have not for some 20 years now and only drink about 6 beers in a year at home. So I do not run into that issue much anymore.

No I do not have a problem with drinking I just do not do it much anymore.

In some prior threads I joke around with "have a shot of Jake" but in reality my bottle of Jack has no more than 10 shorts gone in three months, it is rare for me to drink anything alcoholic. So with that with a short remembrance back in time over the past five years I have been to a bar once, was taken out for my birthday and may be had three strong drinks, another time one or two glasses of wine and that is it.

With that said I am always carrying where permitted and rather than not carry will avoid going to a place that could be deemed as a trouble place.

Back in 2003 (if I remember correctly) I had met someone who wanted me to come down and met but I declined, reason was I can not carry and that is me, take me or not I stand by this.

Just thinking, I do not drive after a drop of alcohol. I believe that carrying concealed or not. It is just as important.
Weather if your angry or impaired in any way, The responsibility is huge. So when do you disarm? Me, I carry pepper spray after a coupla of brews and just stay home.
Be well.
-
You can make the personal decision to Not CC after a Beer and that is your decision . But the analogy of comparison using consume of alcohol and derision to not operating a motor vehicle on public roadways is flawed .
You are Not operating a motor vehicle, as your Concealed Carry after a beer is still hidden in the garage 'so to speak' . You are making NO Decisions of operation with a Concealed firearm while having a Beer . Your not touching removing your CC from it's retaining holster .
You can operate a moving vehicle while having a CC and they are not in any way connected to each other while your driving .
You can also operate a motor vehicle while drinking a Beer and in possession of a Concealed Carry, you are breaking the Law with the vehicle + Beer . But you are Not breaking the Law with the CC + Vehicle + Beer, unless you are Not licensed to Carry Concealed .

Ok, This turned into an "AA" discussion. Well I disarm for the Post office, Social security offices, Secured areas of airports and airplanes. Any federal facility. National forests that are "posted". Indian reservations. Private businesses have the right to post conditions for possession of firearms on there premises and can trespass you and you could loose your concealed handgun license. Some schools. Tri met. Oh at work, I do alot of construction so it would get in the way and there's that corporate thing they frown on it so I respect their rules.

I don't drink if I'm going to be driving, carrying concealed or hunting. Since alcohol can, and does, affect one's judgment it isn't worth the risk of getting in an accident or having to deal with an encounter that may lead to use of lethal force. Especially use of lethal force. In that case, I need as much of my wits about me as I can get, considering I don't have that many to spare! :)

This is an interesting topic I hadn't given enough thought to. Myself I very rarely drink more then one alcoholic beverage. However there are occasions, last night being one as we went to a friends house to watch the superbowl. I had 4 drinks and only did so because my wife had volunteered to be the designated driver.

I don't concealed carry currently but I will be within a few months and plan to carry whenever its legal to do so thereafter. That said my wife isn't comfortable nor interested in carrying, so I won't have a "designated carrier" so to speak. I think for me this will mean I won't be drinking beyond my 1 limit, unless I'm willing to go unarmed which is unlikely.

A second point that comes up, as I've seen alluded to above. What do you all think about drinking to impairment (whatever that amount is subjectively) within your home with regards to then being called on to defend yourself or your family? Again for me I have to take the majority of the burden as far as armed defense. I have taken my wife shooting and will be trying to increase her comfort around firearms but I don't expect that to be a quick process for her. Therefore if I choose to have several drinks at home am I then:
1) Capable of defending my family safely?
2) Going to run into legal issues if I have to use lethal force?

I'm in this exact scenario. I like the way you've framed the scenarios/questions. I def have some thinking to do on this.

When do people stop talking? I know the 1st amendment is very dear but drinking and talking (or posting on the interweb) do not mix well.

Personally, after drinking even a drop, I turn off the computer and I get really quiet really fast!

All rights should be forfeited when alcohol involved. If it's found that you're drunk at home, the army gets to move into your house without your consent as well as search/seize all your personal effects. After being thrown into jail for drinking at home, you should rot there for at least 5 years before even being charged.

Demon Alcohol. Nobody can be trusted with any civil rights while under the influence of even one drop.

When do people stop talking? I know the 1st amendment is very dear but drinking and talking (or posting on the interweb) do not mix well.

Personally, after drinking even a drop, I turn off the computer and I get really quiet really fast!

All rights should be forfeited when alcohol involved. If it's found that you're drunk at home, the army gets to move into your house without your consent as well as search/seize all your personal effects. After being thrown into jail for drinking at home, you should rot there for at least 5 years before even being charged.

Demon Alcohol. Nobody can be trusted with any civil rights while under the influence of even one drop.

I think there is a difference between revocation of civil rights in other words laws and government regulation, and what for the most part is being discussed here which is personal responsibility. I believe we each need to decide for ourselves what our limitation and boundaries are.

Myself I have no issue having a drink (or several depending on the amount of time) and continuing to be my families guardian.

Do I believe there should be a law against drinking an carrying? Absolutely not, however by the same measure if someone is grossly negligent with their firearm (alcohol involved or not), and put those around them in real jeopardy then to hell with their civil rights. But I think the law as it stands provides for that already in stripping rights from those convicted of a felony.

TLDR: Be responsible for your own. Don't impede on other freedoms or safety.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top