JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
All of the firearms I own I purchased in Oregon from various legal sources, I now live in Washington and have them stored at my folks' house. Do I have to FFL transfer them to myself at my new address on this side of the river? Probably goin to get flamed for this dumb question but was just curious and you guys seem to come up with some pretty legitimate information.Thanks in advance for any helpful answers...

The other thing not mentioned is that a lot of movers specifically will not deal with firearms or ammo or anything flammable.

The legalities of having a third party in possession of and moving your firearms across a state line are debatable. They would rather just not deal with that, and all the other issues.

I am sure you are talking about moving these firearms yourself, in which case, as others have noted, you are fine.

The only times you have to do anything with an FFL is when you are shipping firearms to another person, which is not the case here.

Did all the movin with my pregnant wife in my 73 C10 so I'm good there. Reason I asked was a guy I work with who also moved to WA from OR was tellin me that he went to the local cop shop and "re-registered" his weapons in Clark Co. and was saying how it was a good idea...Im the kinda guy that unless I'm forced to give info to most anyone, I keep my lip zipped..Anyhow thanks again everyone for the answers

Did all the movin with my pregnant wife in my 73 C10 so I'm good there. Reason I asked was a guy I work with who also moved to WA from OR was tellin me that he went to the local cop shop and "re-registered" his weapons in Clark Co. and was saying how it was a good idea...Im the kinda guy that unless I'm forced to give info to most anyone, I keep my lip zipped..Anyhow thanks again everyone for the answers

"Re-registered"?? :huh:

There is no gun registration in Oregon or Washington - unless it is telling the ATF that a Title II firearm has moved, which is unlikely as WA state doesn't allow select-fire/etc., only suppressors last I heard.

I hear this from time to time; someone asking about "registration" in a state that doesn't require it in any way. Most states do not require registration of guns.

This is an old map (4 years old), but it is mostly correct:

Gun-registration-map.jpg

Connecticut and Colorado have changed.

+1 on what Heretic wrote there, don't bug the police with some registration stuff, they might think you're nuts or something.

Man, I just did a Google search for "map of states gun registration 2013" and came up with a bunch of wacked results, such as from the Brady Campaign or some such thing. Do not run the search, it is depressing. Their "highest" scores are for the worst states. :huh:

Movers wouldn't move my ammo, not sure if it was the ammo or the hundreds of pounds of lead....;-)

In any event, I made sure my guns were unloaded, and put them in the trunk of my car and drove them to their new home. As long as your guns are WA legal (no SBR), as others have said, you're golden.

"Re-registered"?? :huh:

There is no gun registration in Oregon or Washington - unless it is telling the ATF that a Title II firearm has moved, which is unlikely as WA state doesn't allow select-fire/etc., only suppressors last I heard.

I hear this from time to time; someone asking about "registration" in a state that doesn't require it in any way. Most states do not require registration of guns.

This is an old map (4 years old), but it is mostly correct:

Gun-registration-map.jpg

Connecticut and Colorado have changed.
I was wondering if I broke any laws moving out here from FL. Other than speeding looks like I was legal.

I moved to Seward Alaska on Nov 1st 2013 & I brought my firearms to the airport not problem. Had them in a hard locking case with no Ammo. They didn't even look at them. They swab tested for drugs around my gun case & Ammo can you can only bring 50 lbs of Ammo on the plane at one time. That was the only down fall because I had a stock pile of .22 .45ACP 300 win mag 30-06 180 to 165 grain 223 & 5.56. 55 & 65 grain. Sold it all & took only 3 guns to Alaska with me it was 50 per gun case & not gun. So I got a 3 gun case & packed it full :) their was no space left lol. Guns & knifes YEAH BUDDY!!! Three kids, wife & I & the family dog got on the plane that day loaded for bear.

Oh if you go through Canada you will need a pre filed form filled out with all your guns you are taking across the boarder. $20 fee per form. A word to the wise they don't have to let you pass into Canada. So it really helps to have a clean past. They will do a large background check on you. If you have a bad driving record theirs a chance your turning around & waisted your time :-( I met a guy that flew from South Carolina to Seward AK. Had his uncle drive his car with his 870 shotgun & his belongings in the car. A few days latter he had to pick up his car from the border of Canada cause his uncle has a bad criminal record from 12 years ago. They wouldn't let him pass.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top