JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Doesn't it make better sense to buy the cheaper silver bars and rounds than spend the extra money to buy more expensive silver eagle and coins like them which weigh the same and have the same amount of silver in them? Maybe I'm missing something. I've been checking out a variety of websites that sell gold and silver and the only advice I can find is that that you should buy whatever they're selling

There is some very minor value in having a highly recognized coin to help assure any future buyer that it really IS 999.9% silver and not some cheap Chinese silver coated piece of junk that are flooding the market.

Be very careful when you shop to pay attention to the amount over the spot price your dealer is charging. Prices vary widly in this wild market. One of the best high volume dealers is Gainsville.

Buy Silver Coins, Silver Bullion and Buy Gold | Gainesville Coins

They have one of the lowest price points and highest availability on bars, rounds, and coins from around the world. We have done a lot of transactions with them and never had a problem. If you are interested in buying Silver Eagles or Canadian Maple Leaf's try to get some friends together and buy a "monster box." It is the cheapest way to put away silver one ounce coins that you will find.

As mentioned, it depends on whether you are buying for SHTF or as a Collector. Stamped (Minted by the U.S. Treasury) coins have collector (intrinsic) value. That all goes away come SHTF. Silver will be traded at what ever the LOCAL value establishes itself at. In my mind, food, ammunition, guns, personal necessities and shelter will be more valuable come SHTF.

If collecting, Professionally Graded and encapsulated coins will retain their value longer than loose coinage. Just like a fine fpainting that has been stored in a climate controlled enviornment. Not every old silver coin has a high collector value. Check out a Pricing Guide if you are interested in coin collecting.

Silver eagles are made and backed by the feds. If they are found to be counterfeit in the future the Secret Service will investigate. This makes a buyer have much more confidence in them when it is time to sell.

Personally, I don't need silver to be in the form of government issued coins to convince me to buy (or sell) them. Gold however is a different animal. I won't buy gold that is not in a coin because I figure it will be much easier to sell when the time comes.

A simple silver test that is 99% accurate can be had off FleaBay for $5.00.

In the vast majority of cases, it is not cost effective for scammers to make fake COINs. If you are buying a 50-100oz bar, then test it or meet at a coin shop where it can be tested. Especially one of those generic 'loafs' with no brand name or serial number ID.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top