JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lots of places have waiting lists. A facility can only support so many members. I'm sure that my club will eventually have to do it too. We already have people complaining that we have too many members, and people wanting to join who don't like the sponsorship requirement. I really hate turning people away, and we have lots of discussions on creative solutions, but I'm pretty sure I know what's going to happen in the end.

Regrettably, as already mentioned, most ranges have waiting lists these days. In the case of Clark, I wish I could be a member there.... it's a short 20 min drive from my house.
On the other hand, they have had so much trouble from neighbor's complaints....one neighbor in particular, that the have restrictions on shooting now that make me question if it would even be worth being a member. I know a guy who retired his membership because apparently now you cannot simply show up and shoot as a member... you now have to arrange to have a range officer at the range before you shoot, which needless to say is a huge pain in the rear.

Regrettably, as already mentioned, most ranges have waiting lists these days. In the case of Clark, I wish I could be a member there.... it's a short 20 min drive from my house.
On the other hand, they have had so much trouble from neighbor's complaints....one neighbor in particular, that the have restrictions on shooting now that make me question if it would even be worth being a member. I know a guy who retired his membership because apparently now you cannot simply show up and shoot as a member... you now have to arrange to have a range officer at the range before you shoot, which needless to say is a huge pain in the rear.
You have always had to have a RO present when shooting ever since I have been a member.
I have been a member for 30 years. o_O They changed it to members and there
quests only no walk ins. :eek:

I guess I like the idea that if I get a tickle on my trigger finger, I can go shoot at the ranges I belong to without having to coordinate with a RO to be present... Besides, the fewer witnesses to my ability to simulate a shotgun pattern with a handgun, the better :oops:

Instead of all these negative waves. Why not ask your elected representatives?

We got: Boating ramps, basketball courts, baseball fields, skating areas........why no real public shooting range?

Aloha, Mark

The list was up to a 10 year wait not all that long ago.

Less attrition the club has a member maxiumum and it reasonable enough for some guys that hardly use it to pay to keep their spot.

I think they used to count on loosing 70 members a year and now it's under 30 I think.

Sounds a bit like Canby Rod and Gun - I was on the waiting list there for a few years (they're the closest range to my house), but in 3 years I moved 4 spots. Just not worth the wait. Douglas Ridge is a bit further away, a much better range (in my opinion) and I was able to join with no wait. Glad I made the decision to walk away from Canby R&G.

I believe it was the County that put a limit to the number of members....

Also, the pellet rifle course is what is called Field Target, Google it, still a work in progress.

And as far as being open to the public on the weekends, us RSO's got too many grey hairs with the Rambos. Same with Sight-In Days(which I don't think we do with the public anymore). I can't count how many times I got swept on the pistol range.

Too bad the county couldn't swing a deal with the old Bonneville range just to the south.

I have heard good reviews of the new indoor range in Camas-

I believe it was the County that put a limit to the number of members....

Also, the pellet rifle course is what is called Field Target, Google it, still a work in progress.

And as far as being open to the public on the weekends, us RSO's got too many grey hairs with the Rambos. Same with Sight-In Days(which I don't think we do with the public anymore). I can't count how many times I got swept on the pistol range.

Too bad the county couldn't swing a deal with the old Bonneville range just to the south.

I have heard good reviews of the new indoor range in Camas-

Well I for one am glad you Rso's are there for us members;).

Thanks for volunteering your time:cool:

I was on the wait list when it was in the 10 year range. I finally gave up and joined Wolverton Mountain Gun Club. It's about 15-20 minutes further, and it's farthest berm is 175 yards, but could join, and can shoot almost any day I can get free.

I don't mind the RSOs at Clark at all, but we get by fine without any. I think it has more to do with having the range to myself than anything else, I don't tend to go on the odd days I think it might be busy enough that I actually have to wait for a lane. Plus, I can blow up watermelons. And that is important ;-). Hopefully at some point, Clark will start allowing new sign ups, but I'm not holding my breath.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top