JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We should be pleased that folks are googling guns, and are getting hits from this site, albeit older threads. And when they find what they're looking for, the last thing they're caring about is how long ago this thread was created. It's new information to them, and if they feel compelled to respond, I think it's a good thing.

When I was a very young adult, I used to buy and read gun magazines from 20+ years prior. Although the articles were 20 years old, they were as relevant as if they'd been written today.

Last Edited:
I like these "blast from the past" threads. They can still be relevant and can give new members lots of info as well as possibly remind older members of an earlier topic that may still be have value.
If it was worth something then.... it should still have value now.

We should be pleased that folks are googling guns, and are getting hits from this site, albeit older threads. And when they find what they're looking for, the last thing they're caring about is how long ago this thread was created. It's new information to them, and if they feel compelled to respond, I think it's a good thing.

When I was a very young adult, I used to buy and read gun magazines from 20+ years prior. Although the articles were 20 years old, they were as relevant as if they'd been written today.

I like these "blast from the past" threads. They can still be relevant and can give new members lots of info as well as possibly remind older members of an earlier topic that may still be have value.
If it was worth something then.... it should still have value now.

Agreed that they are relevant.

However, unless you going to contribute something to the thread that adds value then why bother posting?

We are all capable of looking up searches or browsing deep into the sub forums so why post (as an example) some remedial like "You should get a glock" - long after the OP has come back and said I bought this XX gun and like it, 4 years ago.

Then I will often go trudging thru a thread I posted in 4 years ago and waste my time trying to figure out why it's in the New Post list.

Just sayin'

I've mostly been noticing old ads being responded to by new members rather than sending a private message. But there's also been quite a few old threads that are just a useless comment -- often by established members.
I actually love old threads that get revived by an update or otherwise useful info.

...and I still love going through my dad's old Hot Rod magazines.

Screenshot_20171211-121820.png
maybe put a limit on the age of suggested threads? Or have an auto lock, that works on a couple other forums I'm on.

However, unless you going to contribute something to the thread that adds value then why bother posting?

Just sayin'

If that's the citeria, then we could eliminate 95% of the posts on this forum. Including mine. And if relevance was required at the dinner table, meals would be quiet.

Last Edited:
If that's the citeria, then we could eliminate 95% of the posts on this forum.

Going with the hot rod magazines:

Reading them or reading them a second time has value.

Are you going to write a letter to the editor of the magazine 5/10/15 or more years later cuz you want to comment on it?

I never advocated deleting content, it adds great value to the web site.

All I said was that there is no reason to post on an old thread unless it is relevant or adds value.

I know I'm a dinosaur and have little to contribute of value. Remember Soylent Green?

I frequent another collector site. Old threads are often brought to the surface, and often by younger fellers who have an interest. Their contribution to a thread may not seem to have value to some of us, but it was important enough the the newer person to bring it to the top. And if it had value to him, maybe there's another feller who's never seen the discussion either.

What's important to one person may bore the heck out of somebody else. I'm not the relevance police. Another site that I frequent, there are some crotchety old coots that as soon as a question is asked, one of these old coots will answer as sarcastically as possible, reminding the person that the same question was asked in 1974, and if the new person would google it, he wouldn't waste our time. And we lose new people to our hobby.

So...There are certainly generational differences on this and any forum that crosses generations. I am more tolerant than other folks, and I'm sure not gonna make someone feel unwelcome just to prove to the world that I know more than they do.

I know I'm a dinosaur and have little to contribute of value. Remember Soylent Green?

I frequent another collector site. Old threads are often brought to the surface, and often by younger fellers who have an interest. Their contribution to a thread may not seem to have value to some of us, but it was important enough the the newer person to bring it to the top. And if it had value to him, maybe there's another feller who's never seen the discussion either.

What's important to one person may bore the heck out of somebody else. I'm not the relevance police. Another site that I frequent, there are some crotchety old coots that as soon as a question is asked, one of these old coots will answer as sarcastically as possible, reminding the person that the same question was asked in 1974, and if the new person would google it, he wouldn't waste our time. And we lose new people to our hobby.

So...There are certainly generational differences on this and any forum that crosses generations. I am more tolerant than other folks, and I'm sure not gonna make someone feel unwelcome just to prove to the world that I know more than they do.

Good points;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads