JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
august 1st. 1995 got a new truck with 123 miles on the clock, 1 stack Mack with a window in the back. went to Shcofeild Utah got a load of coal, went to rock springs Wyo. unloaded. checked in at my motel slept 8 hours. next day went to 20 mile coal mine in Colorado (20 miles south of steamboat springs) got my coal, back to rock springs unloaded. 408 MILES round trip. did that over and over again for 26 days then headed home, had over 19,000 miles on the clock in 28 days. over half of those miles in a heavily loaded truck, some days i would do 2 round trips from rocket city to 20 mile, 816 miles. never lost any sleep or ever tired.

About 1450 miles a little over 24 hours straight from Chandler AZ to Vancouver WA. With a 2007 lifted Chevy 2500 duramax. Pulling a big U-Haul trailer full of all my worldly possessions. I was excited cause I never saw the ocean so I cut across the siskiyou pass to see the sunrise on the ocean, then made my way back across the pass to I5 to finish the trip.
I got to my now wife's family's home and proceeded to sleep for almost a full day !!! Too many red bulls/monsters and hydroxy cut pills to count !!!!
I'd never do it again.
So, how did your sunrise turn out? I'm used to it setting on our side of the country! :p

For a conference in San Diego, to keep the trip expense down I offered seats in my van from Portland through LA to San Diego and back one weekend. With the side trips to take on and drop off riders, it turned out to be 1300 miles each way - one day down on Friday and one day back Monday. Haven't done that again. Yet.

Used to save up all my vacation time each year to blow it on a trip from LA or the Bay Area to visit the folks in Illinois and the Oshkosh AirVenture and back. 1000 miles days were common for that. Drove Grayslake, IL to Rapid City, SD one day, the next to Spokane, WA. Third day, approaching Pasco, WA, I missed an exit, slid off the road, and flipped my Scirocco 80' through the air, inverted. Got the insurance payoff within 3 hours (thank you, USAA!), flew back to Grayslake, bought another Scirocco, and made it to Torrance, CA three days later.

No wonder I later ended up co-owning a Cessna - made such trips much easier. And lots more fun!

I've done Stayton to Dickinson, ND straight through several times. About 23 hours of actual drive time. On one trip I had to pull over and nap as I was a danger to others and myself from being so tired.

Seattle to Mission Viejo, CA. In early September, 1994. 1,175 miles in just under 24 hours. 1988 Ford Aerostar van.
Also, Palo Alto, CA to Yellowstone National Park. In early September also but 1966. Just under 1,000 miles and probably 17 hours. 1958 Buick Special.
In both cases, I was too cheap to stay overnight anywhere.

Worst road trip ever. Seattle to Palo Alto right before Christmas, 1971. Snow in southern Oregon but keep driving. Get to Yreka CA and the State Patrol has I-5 closed southbound. Officer tells me there is a blizzard at Mt. Shasta and over 20 miles of cars snowed in on the highway. He also says it will be 24-36 hours to get the highway cleared and reopened. I head back north to Grants Pass, then over to the ocean at Crescent City. From there driving through the redwoods in the dead of night and into the morning hours. Finally reach my brother's hone in Palo Alto. No sleep, scared driving half the time because of snow and windy road through the redwoods, by myself. Total trip was about 1,100 miles and took 26 hours. 1966 Toyota Corona, RWD of course!

Did this one solo during the Summer-rona-season. From the outskirts of Chicago to the Portland Metro area in under 27 hours (didn't make it in a day)... I do not recommend the trip. Iowa and Nebraska will fill your vehicle with a farm-yard fecal odor, and that will linger throughout the rest of the drive. You can make up quite a bit of time by night-driving through Wyoming.
ui_trippin.png
Here is a clip of my trip...
200.gif
...not sure how he got in the pickup. I don't remember stopping in Nebraska.

Edit to add: This little biggie yelled "wheeeee whee whee" all the way home.

Last Edited:
1230 miles from Poulsbo, WA to San Clemente, CA in 16 hours. Stopped for gas and stretches.

!961 Impala Bubble top, 235, powerglide with less than 50K miles. Mint condition, white with aqua interior. The only thing even close to dirty was driver side carpet and seat.

It was a hot drive with no AC. Got behind a semi hauling cedar shingles. It seemed to drop the air temperature at least 10 degrees.

EDIT: Yes, more than 75mph average. We left early morning and got to the California border before it was light. Then it was 80 - 100 mph.

Last Edited:
Longest ride ever? 15 miles of extreme-enduro type riding. Took almost 8 hours. Some of the most fun I ever had on a motorcycle. Wasn't sure I was going to live through the whole thing.

Most miles ridden in a single day? Just over 1k to get my Iron Arse. Never again. Ever.

Miles driven? No idea really. Did the run from San Jose to Seattle way too many times.

Funnest was a nighttime speed run from SJ to Vegas. Rented a Cadillac CTS and averaged…well…maybe a bit too fast. Those cars hauled.

Oregon to Vermont. Left on a Tuesday. Arrived on Thursday at 3 in the afternoon. Averaged a little over 1100 miles per day. In this case, it was the destination, not the journey…

Longest ride ever? 15 miles of extreme-enduro type riding. Took almost 8 hours. Some of the most fun I ever had on a motorcycle. Wasn't sure I was going to live through the whole thing.

Most miles ridden in a single day? Just over 1k to get my Iron Arse. Never again. Ever.

Miles driven? No idea really. Did the run from San Jose to Seattle way too many times.

Funnest was a nighttime speed run from SJ to Vegas. Rented a Cadillac CTS and averaged…well…maybe a bit too fast. Those cars hauled.
Talking about fast, remember a trip from the white Mountains in New Hampshire to Providence in a rented '78 Mercury Cougar XR-7, the midnight blue/chamois edition. Drove all the highway miles doing just 10 mph, the speedometers went up to 85 but weren't pinned. :eek:

Longest distance I've driven in recent memory was from Reno to Everett, WA area. That's about 725 miles, +/-. But I don't drive 120 mph, I"m more of a fuel mileage driver. So it takes a while. I used to limit myself to 600 or a little more miles per day. At my present age, I don't want to do even that anymore. If I have to go a long distance in a hurry, I take a commercial flight. As much as I don't like doing that, either.

In 1972, I took a coast to coast trip in my 1965 Mustang GT. It took me about 25 days to make my way to Wash., DC, and four days to drive home through the South. I don't know the mileage of those homeward bound legs of the trip, but some of them were pretty long.

at 75 years old i still have the urge to hit the road and go on a long, long trip. last summer i drove from Albany to Pocatello Id. in under 11 hours, 730 miles. plan to do it again soon.

YEARS AGO…. HWY-10 from Jacksonville, FL to Las Cruses, NM, then I pulled over and passed out for a couple of hours.

I then hit Flagstaff on through Bakersfield and up I-5 into PDX…. 2-days total, among the worst 2 days of my life (and that's saying a lot right there).

The Florida pan-handle, and traversing across Texas never seemed like it was going to end! I'll never do it like that again!

View: https://youtu.be/RvV3nn_de2k?si=db42JbVSR7UM8bHU

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top