Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What's the Law for TRADE between OREGON AND WASHINGTON State?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by CastleFox, May 25, 2009.

1. CastleFox

CastleFox Gone New Member

delete

2. PosterGuy

PosterGuy Hillsboro Member

I believe trades are the same as sales. I'm 99% positive.

Nathan

3. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Trade is considered the same as sale, a transaction is all covering in legal terms. Any transaction between parties across state lines (non licensees) where someone acquires a firearm from someone in the other state is illegal. Unless their is a legal justification, such as inheritance.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/aprqtr/pdf/27cfr178.31.pdf

4. CastleFox

Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks for the INFO Guys!

5. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

6. CastleFox

7. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

IF anyone, as an "unlicensed resident" of one state, desires to sell/transfer a firearm to an "unlicensed resident" of a different state, this still can be done..... by the simple expedient of delivering the firearm in question to a FFL Dealer in the state of residence of the intended recipient. It IS legal for the resident of the first state to transport that firearm across state lines for the purpose of delivering it to the FFL Dealer for subsequent transfer to the new owner, the resident of the second state. What makes this legal is that, until it is surrendered to the FFL Dealer in the second state, the firearm is still the property, and in the possession of, the original owner, resident of first state.

SO--- any Oregon resident on here who wants to sell to a Washington resident will have to either ship or transport the firearm to a FFL Dealer in Washington.... it IS legal for an unlicensed individual to deliver or ship to a FFL Dealer in his own or another state.

Stupid, unconstitutional, wrong... but that's the law of the land. Until it gets changed, we either abide by it or risk the unpleasant consequences of getting caught with our hands in the cookie jar... and the subsequent trip to the woodshed. And hope someone wrangling for the prosecution lets his ducks get all out of line.

8. Oro

Oro Western WA Active Member

Isn't someone on here an FFL in both OR and WA and can make this simple? What member is that?

9. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

Coctailer would be the man you need to talk to Oro

10. Oro

Oro Western WA Active Member

Yep, i just figured that out, thanks. A Portland man and I are talking about a trade. Need to line that up to help induce him to do it.