JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a custom rifle that I have no idea waht it is worth. It is a Mauser action 30-06 with a Douglas supreme barrel. fiddle back maple stock with diamond rose wood and black walnut inlays. Leopold 3x9 scope was built in 1970, has only had maybe a box of shells shot thru it. very nice. Does any one know what I should ask for the rifle?

Thanks for any help

Photos:
gun003.jpg

gun002.jpg

gun001.jpg

That is a beautiful looking stock.

I would describe that as tiger stripe grain rather than fiddle back.

She's a beaut'!

You would be wrong. Tiger stripe the stripes cross each other Fiddleback on the other hand looks exactly like that stock with parallel stripes. I spent 14 years as a custom knifemaker and one of my specilties was using wood left over from extremely high end muzzleloaders a friend built for a living.

That is easily one of the nicest pieces of Fiddleback Maple I have seen. To be that even and that bold the full lenght and width of the stock is quite rare to see in the last 30 years.

Tiger on top Fiddleback on the bottom

http://www.northcoastknives.com/mapletiger-Lrg.gif

Thanks Mark, that being said on the rarity of the grade of the wood. I am still not sure what to ask for the rifle. I do not think I would like doing an auction. I would rather meet the buyer. I personally think $500. is not near enough. But I have a lot sentimental things going on to with the rifle, having it for over 40 years. I sure appreciate all the input I have gotten.
Thanks

I agree with you assesment daisy1, I also think that rifle is worth more than $500, That is why I suggested you start the bidding at $500 and let the market tell you what it really is worth.

One of the things about auctions: to get the most participatation you need to start at a low reasonable point, and let the market find the actual selling point. Reserves restrict the market and many bidders will not bid on an item with a reserve, Others will not bid on a lowball starting price, and some will not bid on a hgh starting price. There will be a lot of people that would love to display that stock in their gun cabinet, or even on their wall. It is a real piece of art.

Thanks Hermannr, I will give the auction some thought. Does any know if there is a honest gun shop where an appraisal could be gotten, in the Hillsboro Or. area?
Thanks again

More than a few dealers value a parts gun based on the cost of the cost of the parts. A Douglas premium barrel, a nice (perhaps Fajen) wood stock, Timney trigger? and an old scope and a Mauser action.

It is a cool looking rifle, if you had any idea who did the work that would help in the value.

If it was a family gun and I liked it, I'd think about not eating for a week before I'd sell it, but that's just me.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top