JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I carry 9mm for self-defense. Specifically, I carry the Speer Gold Dots hollow points at 147 grains. I just subjectively chose 147 grains because I guessed that the heavier bullet will cause more damage against the bad guy than a lighter 115 grain bullet. For target & practice shooting, I fire 115 grain FMJ bullets due to availability and cost.

I know that shot placement/accuracy matters more than whether a bullet is 115 grains or 147 grains. I understand that the 32 grain weight difference in a bullet is not going to be some magical difference between saving my/my family's life or not.

But assuming all things (including shot placement) are equal, I'm wondering if I should just carry 115 grains Gold Dot hollow point for self defense rather than the 147? Between 115 and 147, do you think one bullet will cause more damage than the other to the bad guy? Or would both cause a similar amount of damage?

What about the fact that I shoot 115 grains all the time for practice at the range? Does that makes a difference? Is my gun or my shooting habits "used to" 115 grains and so that's what should use for self defense?

For what it's worth, I noticed that many of the online ballistic gel test results between 115 grains and 147 grains were similar. My research isn't comprehensive or authoritative by any means, but:

YouTube channel TNOutdoors9 tested 115 grain Gold Dot. It came in at 17.5 inches.

His Gold Dot 147 grains came in at 14.25 inches.

For what it's worth, TNOutdoors9 (whom I like and trust) recommended the heavier bullets for self defense. I wonder why since the 115 grains had more penetration according to his own tests?

Here is Lucky Gunner ballistic tests where the average 5 shot penetration depth for 115 grains came in at 16.4. The average 147 grain Gold Dot came in at 16.1.
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

I am sure that there's no way to know a definitive answer to this question and I'm OK with that. But I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject matter. Thanks in advance for all your answers.

I try to find practice ammo , that is as close as can be to the ammo I want to use for a intended purpose.
This has not let me down with my hunting ammo and practice with my hunting rifles.
So I am comfortable with using this "system" with my carry pistol.
I find that this works for me and how I shoot.
Andy

Whatever gain you practice with, carry that load.

Current development in designs make the weight irrelevant. The biggest change between 115 and 147 is felt recoil.

$.02

It sounds like you've already looked into what you need to look into. There are plenty of ballistic test results available online. From what I've seen, the two rounds perform roughly the same. Some tests show one round out performing the other, and other tests show the opposite. I was going to link to that Lucky Gunner test before I saw you mention it. It's one of the better tests I've seen.

I think the answer to your question is that they'll both stop a man (or whatever you're shooting at) with basically the same amount of effectiveness.

That said, my mindset is that I want my SD rounds to be as similar as practical to that of my target rounds. 115 grain FMJ is available from Walmart for $48 for 200 rounds which makes it cheaper to shoot, and I spend most of my ammo fund on my target rounds, so that dictates what I use for SD. I use 115 grain 9mm Speer Gold Dot.

That said, if you already bought a heavier grain, use those until they're gone. Like I said earlier, they'll both stop a man.

I tend to prefer heavier bullets to a point, but in 9mm I think 124gr is a nice middle ground. I'm sure all 115gr - 147gr will get the job done just fine as long as you and your firearm can do your part with the chosen ammo.

...But assuming all things (including shot placement) are equal...

There's the rub. Let's NOT assume things will be equal. When you practice, you're relaxed. When you pull your EDC out for SD purposes, you're probably pumped full of adrenaline.
Practice with what you carry, and try to emulate the physical conditions of a conflict. In so doing, you enable yourself to "slow it down."

Years ago I concerned myself with questions like this, poured over ballistics studies, read books written by Enos and Ayoob, and every article I could get my hands on. [edit] and then practiced, practiced, practiced. [/edit] Then, as now, I am convinced the caliber and weight matter significantly less than technique.

[edit 2] Because of all that practice, pistol shooting is still one of the most relaxing, meditative things I do, when I do it.

Last Edited:
Check out tnoutdoor9's Remington 125gr .357 magnum test.
The classic whomper.
I think the +p+ 115gr Underwood 9mm most approximates that round, for whatever that's worth.

I like the "ammoquest" video series. He set up a whole bunch of tests for self defense rounds using short barrel 9mm. Both ballistic gelatin & denim coated ballistic gelatin.

I'm currently carrying Hornaday Hollow points, but...

I'm not quite ready to make up my mind on which round to carry permanent, but so far I'm leaning towards the 80gr ARX. Yup 80gr.

Best shot placement I've had so far was with it. 'Course I'm also new to this, so am hoping my placement with other rounds, and just in general, will improve with practice.

Had to scooch my neighbors cute cat off my lap, she looks like such:

Checked the safe, and I'm currently carrying 124gr Hornaday XTP. Jeese I'm really curious now on how my placement might be with a 147!

DCCBB9C4-2FCB-4A29-9A14-8D584900F397_zpsm6cdmuzf.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads