JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yea... There will not be any discernible difference between supersonic volume vs subsonic volume at the shooters ear, when shooting unsuppressed. Especially indoors. Both would be damaging.

I really need a set of those high db noise canceling ear muffs that let you hear normal volumes at the same time... I just haven't gotten there yet.

When I do they will be next to my gun at night.

Good point to remember for sure.:cool:

I keep a set right by the bed, and a set on my safe handle. Hopefully as hearing protection acts take hold and suppressors become a more common accessory, we'll all be able to afford and deploy them.

High db suppressing ear muffs are THE WAY TO GO for home defense, regardless of what the caliber or firearm is.

I've lighted enough firearm discharges indoors to know that you don't want to be without noise suppressing ear muffs if at ALL possible when firing indoors.

I try to find practice ammo , that is as close as can be to the ammo I want to use for a intended purpose.
This has not let me down with my hunting ammo and practice with my hunting rifles.
So I am comfortable with using this "system" with my carry pistol.
I find that this works for me and how I shoot.
Andy

There is ( in fact I have some ) 147 grain FMJ flat nose. American Eagle is the box(a Federal Brand).
My preferred practice is run a couple or three mags of FMJs through the gun for accuracy, and function. then load a magazine full of your preferred defense rounds and fire a few at the same point of aim, and note ANY adjustment necessary for point of aim/point of impact.

Barrel length can come into play here. In general a 9mm under 5" I'd lean toward the speer gold dot short barrel 115 (+p if your gun will take it) - especially if you get under 4" as the expansion tends to be more reliable with the lighter faster rounds than the heavier ones. In a full size I would go heavy.

Wife and I both carry Kahr k9s or PM9s. I did these test some time back and there's nothing yet that I found to change our minds. These are standard velocity rounds. Besides penetration, expansion another issue was felt recoil for fast follow up shots. The Win. 147 / RA9T was the softer recoil.
Formula for true penetration here is : posted pen, x 3 / 2 = true ballistic gel pen.

K9 results

PM9 Results

K9-Fed147HST628labeled.jpg K9-Fed147HST635labeled.jpg K9-Fed147HST.jpg K9-Win147RA9T645labeled.jpg K9-Win147RA9T664labeled.jpg K9-Win147RA9T.jpg PM9-Fed147HST624labeled.jpg PM9-Fed147HST599labeled.jpg PM9-Fed147HSTlabeled.jpg PM9-Win147RA9T676labeled.jpg PM9-Win147RA9T698labeled.jpg PM9-Win147RA9Tlabeled.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads