JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been trying to sell my Ruger GP100. For some time. Listed a few times over the past year or so.

So I'm wondering if I'm charging too much, or something else is wrong with my listing. Started out with a price that I found others sold for, but no bites. Lowered the price by quite a bit. No bites. Added ammo and matched holster. Nada.

Any advice?
Thanks in advance!

Frank in Hillsboro

View attachment 485090
Interesting writing/photography problem. If it were me, I would leave the price the same but remove holster and ammo. Would mention the holster is also available and run a separate ad for it. I agree that you should cut the ref to .38sp. I think the ad is coming across as too desperate. If anything, the gun with goodies is underpriced, maybe enough to inhibit sales. I would cut most of the subjective praise words, and instead include why some people might like the non-underlug. Price is very reasonable for the gun without the goodies. I think the holster is essentially not helping because most people who want the gun don't use shoulder holsters. I would list holster for 1/3 to 1/2 new price, but might as part of a deal with the gun throw in the holster for 20 more. That's so little most people would want the holster just to try. I'd totally stay firm on the price of the gun. Cut the words where you are evaluating the gun and deal. Your statements "excellent condition" and "functions flawlessly plus the photos says it all. Also cut the phrase "revolver pistol". To many of us, a revolver is not a pistol. A pistol is a semiauto. And the use of the word pistol in talking about a revolver is like fingernails on a chalkboard for some, me included. (For others, "pistol" is a generic handgun that could be either a revolver or semiauto. But many who might be interested in this gun might be turned off by it's being called a pistol.)

So I would revise to:
Ruger GP100 .357mag 6" Revolver.
Rare half-lug version. Excellent condition. Circa 1988. Functions flawlessly. Half-lug variant gives traditional rather than muzzle-heavy balance and less overall weight for the barrel length. Faux pearl and wood grip panel inserts. $550 firm. For shoulder holster see separate listing.

If I could easily get info on SA and DA trigger weight I would add that. Is the SA trigger crisp and light? (Which it might be on a used Ruger.) If so, say so, as that is one if the reasons why many people buy sw or modify their rugers with replacement springs and action jobs.)

You have all the relevant photos, but as someone who sells garden photography and writing, I have to say I think the photos are really hurting and turnng off sales for a relatively esoteric reason. It's the emotional flavor of the photos as caused by the white balance. I suspect that the white balance in the photos is more important than anything you said. It makes the photos (and hence the gun and the deal) seem cold and emotionally unappealing. The background is black and the gun is silver. So the photos are essentially black and white instead of colored. A colored background would have been more attractive. The white balance is on the blue rather than yellow side. Like the light on a cold rainy day. It creates emotional coldness. If it were me, I would reshoot the photos with a green or blue background, and I would use the warmest white balance setting I could use without actually making the SS of the gun start looking yellowish. If I didnt have a camera that gives me control of white balance, I would shoot at sunset on a cloudless day, just when the fading light casts no shadows, but has a lot of orange in it. A minor detail. I would shoot the main photo with the hammer not cocked. It gives a more classic appearance, particularly with revolvers that don't have firing pins on the hammer.

Last Edited:
You might try relisting it without .38 SPECIAL in the heading. Some people might see the half lug barrel and .38 SPECIAL and presume it is a .38 SPECIAL only GP-100. I myself had to read it twice to confirm it was a .357. Just a suggestion. Also, it being in Oregon, the more sophisticated buyers north of the border are out of luck for a smooth simple purchase. And the Oregonians lack the sophistication to appreciate the utility of the half lug barrel. ;)
I consider it a "super Security Six", that probably has superior handling properties compared to my full lug version.
(Meant to post this here, not on your F/S thread. Sorry.)
I would say it had different rather than superior handling. Namely, the security 6 and presumably the half-lug gp 100 would lack the muzzle heavy feel and extra weight of the full-lug gp 100. I had a 6-inch as well as a snubby Security 6, and replaced them with sw 686s because I prefer the muzzle heavy balance. SW basically keeps both versions of balance available. If you like the traditional balance you get sw 66s in .357 and 629s in .44; if you prefer the muzzle heavy balance and heavier overall weight you go for the 686 in .357 and the 629 Classic in .44. It's odd that Ruger doesn't continue to give people both options in the GP 100.

Last Edited:
That seems to be rather limiting. Not many things I've seen from the 80s still have all original packaging. And if you're a shooter, what's the wrapper really worth? To me, nothing. Would have zero effect on my purchase. Perhaps others value an empty box more than I.

But thanks for the input!
I think the issue of original boxes and paperwork is a much bigger deal for collectors than most people buying a used gun to shoot. I would care a lot about how tight the gun was and what the action was like, but wouldn't care at all about the box and paperwork. Not on a gun like this I was buying to carry and shoot.

3) No option for lower price without all of the add on's. I would not pay any extra for ammo or holsters, I reload and only carry a couple guns..
Here's a good example of why I would prefer the strategy of not including the holster and ammo. Actually, you are asking 550 for the gun and giving the other stuff away for free, to sweeten the deal. And it may work that way for some people. But not necessarily. Instead, many people probably figure that the ammo and used holster are probably about $100, so if they don't want those, they are paying 550 for the 450 worth they actually want. In other words, it looks like you are pricing the gun at $450, but not letting people buy it for that. And once someone decides the anchor point price is 450, 550 isn't appealing.

Holsters and such I just chalk up as a loss if I decide to get ride of a gun.
I have a drawer full of holsters that I don't have guns for anymore, as I'm sure several other members do as well.

I've found it easier to offload the gun by itself and sell off or give away the rest later on.
Usually I just toss in the holster if the buyer wants it. Sometimes they don't and it just gets tossed into a drawer and forgotton about.

That seems to be rather limiting. Not many things I've seen from the 80s still have all original packaging. And if you're a shooter, what's the wrapper really worth? To me, nothing. Would have zero effect on my purchase. Perhaps others value an empty box more than I.

But thanks for the input!

Not quite limiting. I own four GP100s, all in original box. Only one bought new. In the past 30 days I have bought three pistols, all made between 1985 and 1992 and all in original box with paperwork, all fired but in perfect shape like yours. Not something everyone looks for, I agree, but there are those that prefer to have the box.

Not quite limiting. I own four GP100s, all in original box...

Likely just a difference of POV. Me, I'm not a collector. If I haven't shot the gun in over a year, it's time to move it on for something I will. Thus my sell of the revolver. Nice firearm, but I'm not using it. Better to find it a home to be cherished.

I have one just like it. Stainless half lug. White micarta grip inserts.
I prefer the half lug. I don't shoot 38 in mine as it leaves rings in the cylinder I have to clean out or it blocks the longer 357 rounds from loading smoothly. I would price the pistol and holster as a stand package and then offer the ammo for a separate amount. This way someone that only wants the gun/holster can buy just that. It is a really fun gun to shoot. I understand adding the holster as you won't have a use for it after selling the gun. But, you will have to price the holster low.

Your price is most excellent for everything you're including, and the revolver is quite nice.

I looked at your listing earlier and I'da been inclined to go for it, if not for two things.

I just purchased a NIB SS 4", full-lugged GP100 (my preferred configuration) from one of our outstanding supporting vendors ( @LuckySG ).

I already have a 6" S&W Highway Patrolman (they're half lugged), so it'd be almost like buying the same thing that I already have. (Ruger vs S&W snobbery aside)

Hang in there, it's a fine weapon and accessories package you have listed that's priced nicely. It's all about the right huckleberry coming along at the right moment who has the disposable funds. Someone, somewhere is out there that can't live without it... be patient!

:s0155:
Well said Stomper, absolutely 100% agree

Here's a good example of why I would prefer the strategy of not including the holster and ammo. Actually, you are asking 550 for the gun and giving the other stuff away for free, to sweeten the deal. And it may work that way for some people. But not necessarily. Instead, many people probably figure that the ammo and used holster are probably about $100, so if they don't want those, they are paying 550 for the 450 worth they actually want. In other words, it looks like you are pricing the gun at $450, but not letting people buy it for that. And once someone decides the anchor point price is 450, 550 isn't appealing.
Another option would be to list gun with and without goodies explicitly so people don't infer a lower anchor price for gun. For example, you could list gun at 550 and gun with holster and ammo at 590. That keeps the psychological anchor price for the gun at 550. (You might get a little more for both. If someone needs to consider themselves a tough bargainer, they might ask for everything for 550, and you could agree since you don't really care about getting anything for the holster or ammo.)

Not really a super security 6, as the gp 100 is a totally different action. Leaf springs vs coil springs. And I would say it had different rather than superior handling. Namely, the security 6 and presumably the half-lug gp 100 would lack the muzzle heavy feel and extra weight of the full-lug gp 100. I had a 6-inch as well as a snubby Security 6, and replaced them with sw 686s because I prefer the muzzle heavy balance. SW basically keeps both versions of balance available. If you like the traditional balance you get sw 66s in .357 and 629s in .44; if you prefer the muzzle heavy balance and heavier overall weight you go for the 686 in .357 and the 629 Classic in .44. It's odd that Ruger doesn't continue to give people both options in the GP 100.
OB, my reference to the GP-100 as a "Super Security Six" meant it as a beefed up, improved action as compared to the Security Six (slightly larger, heavier frame and barrel, adding crane locking point to the cylinder like the Redhawk). And to the best of my recollection, none of the Speed Sixes (2), or Security Sixes (at least 4), that I have owned over the years had leaf springs. Maybe you are confusing them with your S&W's?

Summertime is bummer time for gun sales, especially "fun gun" sales. People have less disposable income cuz the kids are out of school, vacations, doing stuff to the house and yard, etc.
$500 w/out the extras seems pretty close to the tipping point. IIRC, I pd $300-sumthin' for my first GP100 in '89 BNIB.
I would revise the ad, the pics, and just be patient... I know for a fact that I usually do my binge-buying from November to March.
Oregonians lack the sophistication to appreciate the utility of the half lug barrel. ;)
How DARE you... :s0004:

OB, my reference to the GP-100 as a "Super Security Six" meant it as a beefed up, improved action as compared to the Security Six (slightly larger, heavier frame and barrel, adding crane locking point to the cylinder like the Redhawk). And to the best of my recollection, none of the Speed Sixes (2), or Security Sixes (at least 4), that I have owned over the years had leaf springs. Maybe you are confusing them with your S&W's?
You are correct. I was misremembering the springs on the Security 6. Weird since I replaced the springs on both mine, and coulda sworn they were leaf type. But it was more than 30 years ago. And when I looked up disassembly of Security 6s, they were coil springs. I went back and eliminated that inaccuracy from my post. Thanks for catching it.

Consider changing the venue where you are advertising it for sale. I've found reaching out to a national audience can move things that have had no interest locally.

Don't forget that a new 6 inch stainless is $600 - so dump the accessories and price accordingly.
As best I can tell, the half-lug version of the GP 100 is not available new at all. It's not listed on the Ruger website. And the half lug vs full lug is a big deal, as it lowers carry weight and changes the balance from the muzzle heavy balance of the full underlug GP 100 back to the traditional balance of the classic Security 6. As someone else pointed out, it sort of gives you a beefed up upgraded Super Security 6.

I'm wondering about timing. When do most used guns get bought? Just before Christmas? Spring? What are the patterns?

I just sold my 6" half lug to a buddy for $600. This was the third GP100 I've owned in this configuration. I had put Bowen sights on it, and I had 3 grips and 2 excellent leather holsters. I was going to list it all for $750 but I have no regrets letting it go for less to a good friend.

I have to admit that I'm tempted to buy yours but I know I just won't shoot it enough to justify owning another one. The only 357 revolver I really carry or use anymore is my semi custom 3" SP101. Your GP100 is a beauty and your asking price is more than fair.

As best I can tell, the half-lug version of the GP 100 is not available new at all. It's not listed on the Ruger website. And the half lug vs full lug is a big deal, as it lowers carry weight and changes the balance from the muzzle heavy balance of the full underlug GP 100 back to the traditional balance of the classic Security 6. As someone else pointed out, it sort of gives you a beefed up upgraded Super Security 6.
All good points, but only worth it to someone who cares. As i said, price accordingly, knowing what you can get a new one for (albeit a slightly different config)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top