JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So either sooner or later I am going to need to buy a second vehicle.

I have the family car covered but need a truck/SUV to make it out to the dirt roads for shooting and hunting.

However I have some specific needs from said vehicle and was hoping y'all could help me narrow it down to a couple vehicles to keep an eye out for.

I'm 6'1" and little trucks are not very comfortable.

I may need it to commute 40 miles to work if I get a job I'm hoping for, so the better the gas milage the better.

4 wheel drive is not absolutely needed but highly desirable.

I can put a canopy on a truck or go with the SUV equivalent.

1/2 ton minimum.

Extra area behind the drivers seat would be highly desirable, BUT it doesn't need to be a quad cab.

Decent ground clearance.

So highway use and off paved road use is a must. I know some older diesel trucks get great gas mileage but I'm not familiar with what's what.

I like:
Chevy
Ford
Dodge (sorta)

In that order.

Any advice or ideas would be great. Please, no pissing on others preferences I know there is always a Ford vs Chevy (i.e. 9mm vs .45acp) BS, so let's keep that out of this thread if possible.

One last thing - I can't give you a price range but the less expensive the better (yea, I'd love a new F350 if someone gave it too me but I won't have that kind of money nor do I want a brand new vehicle). I like suburbans:rolleyes:.

Thanks y'all!:cool:

2WD will definitely help with mileage, and while it won't be as good in the snow/mud, it will likely be more than enough for fireroads/two-track/etc. To be honest, I hardly ever use it in my truck.

:confused:Get the oldest and smallest Ford Ranger.

Nah, but a Ford F-150 in general should be comfy enough for you. Can't really recommend a year though.

Honestly, as someone who drives a 2WD and a 4WD, get the 4WD. May never need it, or you may need it the next day. The recent trucks should have the same MPG as my Ford Ranger. My Chevy only has a V6 though, but its the same MPG as my Ranger.

Also, Chevy vs Ford? Let me get it out of the way.
Found on road dead.
Cracked heads, engine valves rattling, oil leaking every time.
:D

I've been happy with a 2004 Ford F150 (gasoline V8, 4WD, standard cab with small rear doors), that I bought low-mileage used back in 2008. Random thoughts:

• It does everything we need and has been almost completely trouble free, beyond regular maintenance, tires, etc.
  • There is only the front seats, but there is enough space behind for all kinds of stuff (e.g., tools, preparedness box/items, firearms, etc.). They do make different cab types though (standard, Super, Crew, etc.).
  • Parts and consumables are available everywhere.
  • Where we are presently, 4WD is a must, so that was a factor in the equation. It doesn't sound like that would be as big of a deal for you though.
  • Concerning height, I'm 6' tall and it fits me fine. My wife is 5'1", so we installed runners to help her get in and out.
  • MPG, frankly, isn't great, but it hasn't been a big issue. The newer ones, at least according to what I've read, get better gas mileage.

When I replace this rig, which will be in the next few years, it will be with another F150, which is probably the best endorsement I can give a vehicle. So, you might check out a Ford.

Hope that helps. :)

Anything wrong with the Mazda version of the Ford Rangers? Or the Isuzu version of the Chevy? Other than their relatively small sizes, I can't really think of a reason for having what is basically a 1 ton truck....... a half ton is decent though. DO understand if you have the same amount of cash as for a Toyota whatever, you might be able to pick up a CUCV locally, but they're stupid expensive for what they are (1980s K-5 or C-10 3/4 ton trucks with 1 ton axles). You could pick up a Silverado, say about 15-20 years old, and it'll be reliable....if its diesel, even better. The 4 doors and some of the 2 door Silveradoes from 1995-current, are currently used by the US Military on bases for simple duties like MP, general cargo carriage, and comms. They're usually not sent overseas because that's what the Hummvees and the MRAP/MATV series are doing....

Just something to think about. Having a civilian truck that's capable of being repaired with parts from military vehicles of the same appearance/line can be a good thing eventually ;)

There was a guy who built an 80s Suburban with CUCV equipment and 1 ton axles, 2wd, GMC 6.2L Diesel, turbocharged it, and he reported that he was getting around 24mpg with that vehicle... Consider that the Suburban is a huge vehicle... I have to wonder what gear ratio he used for the rear axles.... Possibly you could get close to that with a Diesel half-ton to 1 ton pickup?

I have the family car covered but need a truck/SUV to make it out to the dirt roads for shooting and hunting.

However I have some specific needs from said vehicle and was hoping y'all could help me narrow it down to a couple vehicles to keep an eye out for.

I may need it to commute 40 miles to work if I get a job I'm hoping for, so the better the gas milage the better.

1/2 ton minimum.

Extra area behind the drivers seat would be highly desirable, BUT it doesn't need to be a quad cab.

Decent ground clearance.

So highway use and off paved road use is a must. I know some older diesel trucks get great gas mileage but I'm not familiar with what's what.

I like:
Chevy
Ford
Dodge (sorta)

In that order.

Any advice or ideas would be great. Please, no pissing on others preferences I know there is always a Ford vs Chevy (i.e. 9mm vs .45acp) BS, so let's keep that out of this thread if possible.

One last thing - I can't give you a price range but the less expensive the better (yea, I'd love a new F350 if someone gave it too me but I won't have that kind of money nor do I want a brand new vehicle). I like suburbans:rolleyes:.

Sounds like you need a truck like mine. 2004 GMC sierra 4x4 extended cab. Mine's not for sale though...:p

IMG_0253_zpslx8g6g28.jpg

toyota tundra. low maintenance. but only OK mileage.

chevy duramax with an LBZ engine and allison get decent mileage if you add a tuner and keep your foot out of it.

1/2 ton minimum.

Decent ground clearance.

I like:
Chevy
Ford
Dodge (sorta)

In that order.

In the same boat as you, looking for another rig. Right now, 2016 f150 4-doors are going for under $30k new.

I've heard of certain years with Diesel engines that get 25mpg, where others get 12.

I know from a friend that after 2012 (I think) the Chevy trucks and suburbans get twice the gas mileage then earlier models because of an engine change.

$30k is way out of my means - that and I hate making payments on vehicles if I can figure it out.

There's some nice trucks for sale in estate sales.
Very good prices and the deceased owners aren't trying to unload a lemon on you.
The ones I see had original older owners who kept them in tip top shape and the estate sale people want them gone.
Last month, I saw an always garaged mint condition '99 Dodge 4x4 5 speed gas powered crew cab with custom shell that only had 89,000 original miles sell for $4,500.00

Last Edited:
Not listed in your choices, but I am a Toyota fan. Can't beat the reliability or resale value. But that also mean the used ones are not cheap and the gas mileage is not the greatest. For me, reliability is foremost, I don't like breaking down and being stuck somewhere.

Not listed in your choices, but I am a Toyota fan. Can't beat the reliability or resale value. But that also mean the used ones are not cheap and the gas mileage is not the greatest. For me, reliability is foremost, I don't like breaking down and being stuck somewhere.
The Big 3 domestic Truck companies(GM, Ford, Dodge/Ram) have gotten a LOT better reliability-wise in the last 20 years.

I've heard of certain years with Diesel engines that get 25mpg, where others get 12.

I know from a friend that after 2012 (I think) the Chevy trucks and suburbans get twice the gas mileage then earlier models because of an engine change.

$30k is way out of my means - that and I hate making payments on vehicles if I can figure it out.

Yeah, me too. But if you can get a brand new rig for under $30k, it's got to have a downstream affect on used prices. I'm looking to spend about a third of that and there's a lot of really quality trucks available. I like RAMs, and the old ones actually have a shift knob as opposed to that abomination of a dial on the dashboard, so used is the only way I'd ever buy one. Otherwise, I'm thinking f150, since I've had a couple with no problems whatsoever.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top