JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Every Toyota (3 out of 4 anyway) I owned was very reliable.
Right up until the head gaskets blew.

It's a dirty little secret Toyota doesn't like to talk about.
ya 3.0l problem. its a cat converter problem actually. too much back pressure once those cats get a little age on them

ya 3.0l problem. its a cat converter problem actually
It's a 5MGE problem, 22R/RE problem, 7MGE problem, 2TC problem, 4AGE problem etc.
Catalytic converters don't cause head bolts to lose tension and head gaskets to lose crush. It didn't happen to multiple engines over a span of 18-20 years because of cats.
Toyota has been sued multiple times over the same problem across multiple models/platforms and engine types/sizes.

I spent too many years behind a parts counter to believe it's as simple and/or obvious as a CC problem.
I know better.
Besides, after fixing the HGs, I only had to replace one cat, and that was because it filled with antifreeze/coolant before the engine got shut down.

It's a 5MGE problem, 22R/RE problem, 7MGE problem, 2TC problem, 4AGE problem etc.
Catalytic converters don't cause head bolts to lose tension and head gaskets to lose crush. It didn't happen to multiple engines over a span of 18-20 years because of cats.
Toyota has been sued multiple times over the same problem across multiple models/platforms and engine types/sizes.

I spent too many years behind a parts counter to believe it's as simple and/or obvious as a CC problem.
I know better.
Besides, after fixing the HGs, I only had to replace one cat, and that was because it filled with antifreeze/coolant before the engine got shut down.
I wonder if it may be similar to the 80s GM engine problems where people kept reusing the Torque-to-Yield head bolts even though theyre supposed to be replaced every time?

im not trying to offend you. just speaking from experience actually working on toyotas in the past, at the dealership, for a living. we replaced a lot of cat converters along with headgaskets on those 3.0s. ya im sure there are more underlying issues. the camrys used to pull threads on the head bolts requiring a time sert repair in the block. the 22r would over heat often due to heatercore restriction and warp the head requiring machining. i was assuming you were talking about the 3.0l i may have just misunderstood you. i apologize.

i feel like ALL manufacturers have their own issues. cars are a mass produced item. theres bound to be a few broken ones

im not trying to offend you. just speaking from experience actually working on toyotas in the past, at the dealership, for a living. we replaced a lot of cat converters along with headgaskets on those 3.0s. ya im sure there are more underlying issues. the camrys used to pull threads on the head bolts requiring a time sert repair in the block. the 22r would over heat often due to heatercore restriction and warp the head requiring machining. i was assuming you were talking about the 3.0l i may have just misunderstood you. i apologize.

i feel like ALL manufacturers have their own issues. cars are a mass produced item. theres bound to be a few broken ones
When both of my 5MGE heads were pulled off, (2 different cars, different years) you could unscrew the head bolts between cylinders 5 & 6 with your fingers. There was no torque/tension left on them at all. Neither car had heater core or Cat problems.
Just googling "Toyota Head Gasket lawsuit" will get you reams of results.

In my case, Toyota claimed/explained that because every engine I had problems with was a bi-metallic engine, it was my fault because I didn't use their $35.00/gallon red anti-freeze.
But even the friends I had in the Supra club that did use the stuff exclusively suffered the same problems.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the cars, I just got tired of replacing head gaskets at 70-80k miles after the 3rd time.
The last one I had I said screwit and stuffed a small block Ford in it. Fun car!

Yes that 3.0 was not healthy. I I've owned a few. No issues. My 5.7 have zero issues. Nor did my four bangers. Toyota is far and away the best choice. Honda is second. American cars suck.

Opinions on trucks are just like the opinions on guns.
:D

My family has pretty much been a Ford family, but not exclusively. Between Dad and I we had a couple of early 90s Rangers that were incredible little trucks. Both were extra cabs and leg room for taller drivers wasn't an issue. I sold mine to my nephew (6'1") with 246,000 on it and he loves it. Somewhere around 260,000 now.
These days I drive the truck Dad bought new, a 98 F150 4x4 extra cab with the 5.4. 216,000 and it's my daily driver. Only complaint? Fuel mileage. I get about 13 running around town, but it will get better than 8 towing my "big brick" enclosed car trailer. Not great, but ok...
My wife drives our 2011 F150 4x4 4 door with the 5.0 and 6 speed auto. It will knock down 21-22 on the highway, around 17 in town (!) and pulls the trailer easier and more efficiently than my 98. It has a 36 gallon tank and will go a long way between gas stations. We've got about 95,000 on it so far. This thing has a TON of room in every seat. It also will run damn near 90mph in the quarter mile! It scoots.

if your looking for room, cheap, decent mileage, dependable for your use, you can get into 96 and up ford explorers for 800 to 2000 depending, my old 91 got 17 in town 22 hwy, 4.0 v6 , auto, 4dr, i put 200k on it and only did standard maintenance and one set of valve cover gaskets, posi rear, I work on a farm and that thing held up great there, hunting, pulling 16ft flat bed with 5 quads, took it on a 6000 mile multi state trip in 2007 with 180k on it, no problems, I say 96 and up souly for 96 and up all makes have obd2 diagnostics, much much better then 89 up obd1. just my 2 cents,

also to the prior chevy lover lol
FORD : FOR OFF ROAD DOMINATION
FOR ON ROAD DOMINATION
FASTEST ON RACE DAY
FIRST ON RACE DAY
oh and i forgot to mention ford is the only US auto maker that isnt partly goverment owned nor did it need a bailout !
And let me add the "cherry that goes on top of the sundae" for you.....
Federal Ownership Respectfully Declined
mic drop.................... Walks out the door

I'm not reading everything until you fix that typo Joe :D

That Dodge might be taking you hunting LOL

Touché:cool:

I had one of them for a work truck for 2 years - I liked the space but it fell apart pretty quick (which where the sorts came in).

My buddy has an older dodge truck that runs well for its age but it gets pretty poor gas mileage.

So did we help you decide Joe? ;)

If you're not planning on towing anything heavy and just want a dependable truck with some room you could always look towards an '01-'06 Toyota Tundra double cab.

Sufficient room, good performance with the 4.7l V8. Not the greatest of gas mileage but a good size truck that isn't to big too park at the grocery store and not too small that it can't handle some heavier duty tasks.

My 2001 Tundra was a great truck. I did put a new rearend in it around 100k, and a new transmission around 130k, but I believe those went out due to towing a travel trailer a little harder than I should have. I sold that truck to a friend at work and it's still going strong as his daily driver.

I currently drive a 2008 Tundra. And it does everything I need it to without a problem.

I don't buy the cat causing head gasket problems directly, either. The plugging of the exhaust causes a ton of cylinder heat that melts piston ring lands and rings, plus burnt exhaust valves.
The head bolts losing tension sounds to me like a problem with the metallurgy of the bolts themselves.

So did we help you decide Joe? ;)

If you're not planning on towing anything heavy and just want a dependable truck with some room you could always look towards an '01-'06 Toyota Tundra double cab.

Sufficient room, good performance with the 4.7l V8. Not the greatest of gas mileage but a good size truck that isn't to big too park at the grocery store and not too small that it can't handle some heavier duty tasks.

My 2001 Tundra was a great truck. I did put a new rearend in it around 100k, and a new transmission around 130k, but I believe those went out due to towing a travel trailer a little harder than I should have. I sold that truck to a friend at work and it's still going strong as his daily driver.

I currently drive a 2008 Tundra. And it does everything I need it to without a problem.

Yessir;)!

This has been some very good info.

A dodge diesel getting 20mpg would be ideal and I know they are generally larger vehicles.

Sounds like a F150 would be another to look at.

I'm ok with huge, I've driven company trucks with canopys and little visibility so I'm used to parking out at the end of the lot and backing in.

I did not get the job I was hoping for so as cheap as I can get a reliable vehicle for will be the determining factor unless another great job pops up soon.

The Ford Explorer would probably be my cheapest option but I will be re reading these posts when I am at the point of buying to help me with my search.

Much appreciated everyone:cool:

Found some:p
versatile-450dt-deltatrack-700x325.jpg
Giant-Studio-Sleeper-on-this-One-1-Cropped-1-450x250.jpg
In all seriousness I have always liked the F-350.
Reason for edit: I managed to spell "all" correctly

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top