JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anything wrong with the Mazda version of the Ford Rangers?

I have a "Mazda" Ford Ranger and it's been great. Only difference is the body panels, and I don't care much about those. Parts are cheap and plentiful, and in-stock at every auto parts store. Servicing it is also super easy. Uses a lot of the same parts as the 4.0 Ranger/Explorers that have been around forever.

I ran through 3 tundras. Decided I needed a new deisel. Bought a 2016 duramax long bed. Decided I didn't need the deisel, so I'm picking up a 4th tundra today. Deisels will die if you drive short distance.
So glad I'm back to Toyota.

Seems like a quality guy like you would gravitate towards sumpthing with some extra class, Maybe something with "old world" quality might be your cup 'o' tea.:cool:

If you're just looking for something practical to haul your Preppersize Grey Poupon...
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpFW8jB3lTY-UW6xu8QBSOso1KX-rbUrjXKS3ggFB0xfD4r2ac-w.jpg

Or, something more crewcab, dually, work-a-day...
9ca167d11cc2c66cf9e064443f45fc77.jpg

Last Edited:
We have a subaru wagon 2010 thing is when seat is all the way back I can't reach the foot controls I'm 6'1 so hit the button and slide it up a tad holds all my crap for when we go shoot
and has butt warmers for them cold mornings and butt cooler for them hot days lol
ho and it get 35 mpg on hi-way and 25 around town

my son and I both drive 98 Dodge Dakotas they are a MID sized truck that wieghs in at just under 4000lbs Mine is a 5spd 3.9L V6 and gets 18-19 commuting and 20-22 on long trips. both have posi rear ends and have never had a problem with getting stuck. I have owned my truck for 10 years bought it with 90K it now has 182K in that time I have replaced the fan clutch, brakes twice and the fuel pump all other has been routine maintenance. My sons truck is an auto gets 17-19 commuting and 19-20 on long trips.

I can put 2000lbs in the back of the truck and not go over GVW.

It is as solid as any truck I have owned (to include 52 Chev 3100 66 F-250 and a damn sight better then the POS 88 F-250 I owned before it)

it handles like a good heavy car rides very nice (I have driven it as far as 800 miles in a day) its quiet the stereo sounds good its dry its tight) The paint is crap peeling clear coat OH well. Its very good on tires uses a 235/75-15 so easy to find and you can get a good tire for less then $120.00

Mine used to belong to the State of Oregon and has all the bells and whistles Large remote mirrors 22 gallon fuel tank ABS front and rear tow package and a block heater. Never any trouble with heater controls or anything in the dash.

they are both Club cab Sports and 6'1+ would be no problem I am 5'11" and can scoot the seat back far enough I can barely touch the pedals with my toes.

A 52" long double stack rifle case or two along with sleeping bags a small tent and other hunting gear will easily fit in the back seats which have storage under them as well.

My son who is 5' 10" can easily sit in the back seat with a 5' 8" woman in the front seat.

Portland Craigs list

portland for sale "dodge dakota" - craigslist

Last Edited:
if your looking for room, cheap, decent mileage, dependable for your use, you can get into 96 and up ford explorers for 800 to 2000 depending, my old 91 got 17 in town 22 hwy, 4.0 v6 , auto, 4dr, i put 200k on it and only did standard maintenance and one set of valve cover gaskets, posi rear, I work on a farm and that thing held up great there, hunting, pulling 16ft flat bed with 5 quads, took it on a 6000 mile multi state trip in 2007 with 180k on it, no problems, I say 96 and up souly for 96 and up all makes have obd2 diagnostics, much much better then 89 up obd1. just my 2 cents,

also to the prior chevy lover lol
FORD : FOR OFF ROAD DOMINATION
FOR ON ROAD DOMINATION
FASTEST ON RACE DAY
FIRST ON RACE DAY
oh and i forgot to mention ford is the only US auto maker that isnt partly goverment owned nor did it need a bailout !

Last Edited:
Nice thread, following...

Not on your list, but you might consider going to a dealer who might have one, just to test drive a Nissan Titan or Armada. Super comfortable, especially road tripping.

The full size Nissan SUV based on the Titan is that Armada. I think that the Armada can have a V6, but given its size I'd personally stick with the V8 that's in the Titan. Again it'd be the same proven powertrain (I'm pretty sure anyways), with the only difference being the rear suspension on the Armada as independent coil springs, while the Titan has rear leafs.

Stable/proven drivetrain.

On my 2nd Titan. Sharp trucks, IMO.

Bought a used one fully loaded except heated leather seats, and liked it so much I traded it in towards a 4 year newer model, brand new.

Both mine have been quad cab short beds, 5.5' bed. Which is plenty for our needs, yeah a full size bed would have been more convenient, but then there's the parking issue...

Plenty of cab space though. You can get a front bench with them as well, I just like the captain chair/console setup myself.

My current DD is a 2013 Titan Pro-4X model, which I put an oddball cap/camper on (Flippac brand, 450#'s or so...perfect for off highway camping).

Mileage, a bit lower than compareable gassers, but plenty of power if you think you might tow. Tow gearing package is a little bit lower mileage, but I can still get 14/15MPG highway at 65MPH, with my camper on but not towing (with a programmer/chip). Towing? 5-8, depends on what it is, my right foot etc. Again a bit lower than competitors, so depends how much towing you'll be doing.

Mind that there is hardly as much aftermarket support for this platform, as compared to other brands. So if you plan on lifting it or putting armor &a such on, expect you may have to go custom ($$$). I lucked out and got used armor (front/rear bumpers) for a song price wise, with free instal by the sellers brother in law...I just had to drive from Mass to Colorado is all... :).

Put side armor (sliders) on myself in my driveway back in Mass.

Also opened up the exhaust by bolting on "Nismo" dual exhaust, also in my driveway back in Mass.

Pretty much for that platform, you can do simple upgrades yourself (if you wanted too). Catalytic back exhaust, and "mini" lift or level, without getting into custom/shop work. Bigger/real lifts are available, if you have a full shop available and the skill set.

Chips/programmers are also available, but not as many as other makes.

The new models have a Cummings diesel power plant option, but I'm not familiar with them as they changed the body style and I think it's near 3/4 ton rated... plus I don't want to deal with any new diesel and the ammonia additive scam bubblegum...

Let me preface this by saying I'm not a "Ford guy" but I make my living working on all makes and models so I feel pretty well informed on the subject. I think right now the best bang for the buck that fills your needs is the first-gen Expeditions. They're dirt cheap considering what you get. I would highly recommend spending $100 to have it checked out by a reputable shop before you buy, no matter what vehicle you decide on.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not a "Ford guy" but I make my living working on all makes and models so I feel pretty well informed on the subject. I think right now the best bang for the buck that fills your needs is the first-gen Expeditions. They're dirt cheap considering what you get. I would highly recommend spending $100 to have it checked out by a reputable shop before you buy, no matter what vehicle you decide on.

i make my living working on GMs. theyre pretty solid too. i daily drove a 98 f150(barely anymore) for 10 years until bought my wife a new car. it has like 230k on it. i just did headgaskets on it... took me 8hrs... about twice as long as it takes me to do lifters on a silverado 5.3. other than that its been a great truck.

i think the big 3 and toyota all make good trucks.

my son and I both drive 98 Dodge Dakotas they are a MID sized truck that wieghs in at just under 4000lbs Mine is a 5spd 3.9L V6 and gets 18-19 commuting and 20-22 on long trips. both have posi rear ends and have never had a problem with getting stuck. I have owned my truck for 10 years bought it with 90K it now has 182K in that time I have replaced the fan clutch, brakes twice and the fuel pump all other has been routine maintenance. My sons truck is an auto gets 17-19 commuting and 19-20 on long trips.

I can put 2000lbs in the back of the truck and not go over GVW.

It is as solid as any truck I have owned (to include 52 Chev 3100 66 F-250 and a damn sight better then the POS 88 F-250 I owned before it)

it handles like a good heavy car rides very nice (I have driven it as far as 800 miles in a day) its quiet the stereo sounds good its dry its tight) The paint is crap peeling clear coat OH well. Its very good on tires uses a 235/75-15 so easy to find and you can get a good tire for less then $120.00

Mine used to belong to the State of Oregon and has all the bells and whistles Large remote mirrors 22 gallon fuel tank ABS front and rear tow package and a block heater. Never any trouble with heater controls or anything in the dash.

they are both Club cab Sports and 6'1+ would be no problem I am 5'11" and can scoot the seat back far enough I can barely touch the pedals with my toes.

A 52" long double stack rifle case or two along with sleeping bags a small tent and other hunting gear will easily fit in the back seats which have storage under them as well.

My son who is 5' 10" can easily sit in the back set with a 5' 8" woman in the front seat.

Portland Craigs list

portland for sale "dodge dakota" - craigslist
I loved the first Dakota I had when they first came out.
I loved it so much that just last year I decided I wanted another one. So I scoured CL until l found just the right one and I'm lovin' this one too!
3.9L-5sp-4X4 that gets 21-22 on the Hwy.

What's not to like?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads