JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I can use my rifle scope, 4-12, for spotting 308 up to 200 yds on a white background with the right lighting. But I'm at a loss on 300 and have drive down to the targets to see the result. So I'm looking for something that would allow me to see 308 holes at 300 and beyond for around $400. It'd be awesome if it would work out to 600 yards as well. Reading online I realize that might be just wishful thinking though. But I'm interested to hear what yall's experiences are.

Im no expert but Ive gone through quit a few scopes. The one I have now works pretty good. I haven't had to use it at 300 yet but it worked great at 288. Its a Leupold Kenai, I think there around 6 or 7 hundred. The one I had before it was pretty good too, was a Vanguard Endeavor 82. There around $500 and not too bad a glass.
My eyes are not that great by the way:D

Last Edited:
I looked at a hundreds of scopes in all price ranges trying to find something reasonable for myself and went a different direction and bought both models of the Bullseye cameras. This is assuming you are shooting some place where this works and you can trust the people you are shooting with to not target it. You are not too far from me, I would be happy to show you how they work/go try it out next weekend.

You will have a smug sense of satisfaction to clearly see your target on the screen when others are fighting mirage on a sunny day.

I have not used my spotting scope at 300yd. And I might get laughed out of here for mentioning my cheapie... or maybe not.

For sighting in toys at 100 and beyond, I picked up a VERY inexpensive Simmons Blazer, 20-60 power zoom with a 60mm primary lens. You might need a lot more scope, so I'll be interested to see the recommendations that follow.

But whatever you get, there are a couple constants: At extremely high magnification, the slightest nudge or jiggle can knock any scope way off target.

- A rock sturdy tripod or base is important. Any significant weight you can dangle under a light aluminum tripod makes it far more stable and less prone to movement. Maybe a $3 carabiner and an ammo box?

- I really like an eyepiece that angles up 45 degrees from the body of the scope. Set up the scope about chest (or bench) high so viewers of any height can bend down just far enough to look down into it without having to crouch behind it, crane their necks, bump the eyepiece, kick the tripod, etc., etc.

Good luck in your choice, I'll be lurking here with interest.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top