JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know you get what you pay for and I know good glass may cost as much if not more than the rifle itself; but any personal recommendations for a budget friendly 3-9x40MM duplex scope? Gonna use for up to 600 yards. Thanks for any advice and info given.

I know you get what you pay for and I know good glass may cost as much if not more than the rifle itself; but any personal recommendations for a budget friendly 3-9x40MM duplex scope? Gonna use for up to 600 yards. Thanks for any advice and info given.
As a devoted Leupold customer recently discouraged by the discovery that their "Lifetime Warranty" does not apply to any scope they don't currently manufacture (keep your product offerings changing and slash your warranty work), I have had good luck twice going to the Burris line for scopes in niches that Leupold has also abandoned.

As a devoted Leupold customer recently discouraged by the discovery that their "Lifetime Warranty" does not apply to any scope they don't currently manufacture
what-you-talkin-bout-willis.jpg

So you are just out of luck now? Used to be they would sub in a comparable product

As a devoted Leupold customer recently discouraged by the discovery that their "Lifetime Warranty" does not apply to any scope they don't currently manufacture (keep your product offerings changing and slash your warranty work), I have had good luck twice going to the Burris line for scopes in niches that Leupold has also abandoned.
I dont know if somethings changed but in 2022 I damaged an old discontinued Leupold riflescope.
They fixed it for free no questions asked, not even proof of purchase.

Was the fastest easiest warranty experience I've ever had.

Warranty discussion above aside, you cant go wrong with a Leupold.

Iirc their most affordable line now in ther Freedom series. I have an older one and its been a solid basic 3x9.

Something has changed at Leupold, I have about 15 of them and never had a problem.
However, I can't get any more of the Bench scopes with cross hairs anymore. They will
not put in that radical we as Bench shooters have used for years. They only offer one with
a Dot. The dot covers up the center dot on the targets we use. So I went to March to get what
I needed. I felt bad after using them for many years.

LOTS has changed at Leupold. My previous history puts me in a unique position to know.

My first and only warranty experience in over 50 years of Leupolds was with...get this...a Vari-X II, 1-4x. (80's-90's manuf). Gloss. No high sharp turret caps.

"We don't contract anymore for that erector lens".

I had to wait almost 10 months to get a poor excuse for a replacement: 2.5x fixed power. Matte. (Or, I coulda got something variable that resembled what GI Joe might carry). The Vari-X came off a near-new condition Marlin .357. Shiny.

Leupold would not consider paying an invoice from Optics Planet so I could get my poor excuse right away.

Leupold would not consider sharing half the cost to send the scope to someone (unlike them) capable of repairing their product just fine. (Vintagegunscopes.com).

LOTS has changed at Leupold. My previous history puts me in a unique position to know.

My first and only warranty experience in over 50 years of Leupolds was with...get this...a Vari-X II, 1-4x. (80's-90's manuf). Gloss. No high sharp turret caps.

I had to wait almost 10 months to get a poor excuse for a replacement: 2.5x fixed power. Matte. (Or, I coulda got something variable that resembled what GI Joe might carry). The Vari-X came off a near-new condition Marlin .357. Shiny.

Leupold would not consider paying an invoice from Optics Planet so I could get my poor excuse right away.

Leupold would not consider sharing half the cost to send the scope to someone (unlike them) capable of repairing their product just fine. (Vintagegunscopes.com).
To be honest, i dont think many long time companies warranty their equally old items. I dont think thats unique to Leupold, and at least they did offer you a replacement.... but I agree it was a disappointing one.
Not certain if that experience changes my mind on recommending them.

Fwiw, i also have an old VXII 4x12, gloss blued. It still works and sits on top of a lever gun of 80s vintage. The two compliment each other. Ill know now to take extra care since that one probably wont get warrantied should it break.
But its been a testament for Leupolds lasting quality, for me anyways.

A lot to unpack there but sure sounds like Leupold did a good job trying to make you happy. Unfortunate that the product you needed worked on or replaced is no longer made by them but a company has to adapt to the current market or go the way of their former competitors. My Leupold customer service experiences have been exceptional.

You could always take your replacement, sell it and purchase another gloss Leupold on the secondary market to meet your needs or trade it for that matter. Probably a lot of folks on this forum that would like to make that trade.

Please define your budget. A lot goes into shooting out to 600 yards with repeatability. Are you looking for first focal plane or second focal plane? Are you planning on dialing for elevation correction? Does this rifle need to perform other functions such as big game hunting or will it just be for the range?

A lot to unpack there but sure sounds like Leupold did a good job trying to make you happy. Unfortunate that the product you needed worked on or replaced is no longer made by them but a company has to adapt to the current market or go the way of their former competitors. My Leupold customer service experiences have been exceptional.

You could always take your replacement, sell it and purchase another gloss Leupold on the secondary market to meet your needs or trade it for that matter. Probably a lot of folks on this forum that would like to make that trade.
I did have to buy another 1-4 gloss to go on the rifle. the 2.5 is still in its box. Leupold used to be proud of taking care of the customer base that made them. Now its all for the buck. (The kind with no antlers.)

Please define your budget. A lot goes into shooting out to 600 yards with repeatability. Are you looking for first focal plane or second focal plane? Are you planning on dialing for elevation correction? Does this rifle need to perform other functions such as big game hunting or will it just be for the range?
I'm thinking somewhere at $400 and below. Due to price, I'm pretty much left with second focal place which is fine with me as I don't plan to be using it for ranging targets. I will be dialing from elevation but this will be strictly from range.

I'm thinking somewhere at $400 and below. Due to price, I'm pretty much left with second focal place which is fine with me as I don't plan to be using it for ranging targets. I will be dialing from elevation but this will be strictly from range.
For new you should be able to get into one of the Arken, Atholon or if you search for a deal one of the Vortex Strike Eagles if your not set on the 3x9 and duplex reticle: https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Strike-Eagle-4-24x50-with-EBR-4-MRAD-Riflescope-SE-1628.aspx

Have also heard great things about the Bushnell Match Pro line: https://www.bushnell.com/match-pro-riflescope.html

I would lean towards either the Vortex or the Bushnell as they are likely to not only be around today but also tomorrow if you should need to utilize their warranty services. I am not so sure about the saying power of Arken or Athlon as they seem like a lot of the other pop up rebranded optics brands.

I've got 1 of these on a long range setup for 224 Valkyrie and have no complaints other than it's heavy for hunting but fine for range. Under $400 for either MIL or MOA.

Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2, 8-34x56, FFP with illuminated reticle. Read the reviews.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top