JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So my commute is not bad by some standards. Its 20 miles each way, 10 miles on I5. The vast majority of the time I can do the speed limit or better since I am going opposite of the masses (away from Seattle in the morning and towards Seattle at night. The thing is I have driven that route around 7000 times. ( 3500 round trip) and so I know it.

There are are a hand full of spots that are a constant irritation. One is coming up from Auburn towards Federal Way on Hwy 18. Its a reasonable grade coming up. Three lanes the whole way. Speed limit is 60 and without fail you will encounter someone going 45 stuck in the passing lane. Often there is no one in the slow lane as they are chugging up 15 miles under the speed limit in the left lane. I would be happy to manage just 60 up the hill but I usually will go 65 or even 70 if I am able and usually the only way you can manage that is in the slow/far right lane.

For that matter it irritates me anyplace when folks fail to grasp the concept of the passing lane. Its not the "fast" lane, its the passing lane. As in you should not be in it unless you are overtaking a slower car. Those signs that say "Keep right except to pass" and "Slower traffic keep right" are there because the LAW says if there are more than three lanes the left one is for passing only. And if you for what ever reason find it necessary to camp out in the passing lane MOVE OVER when someone comes up behind you going faster than you. It does not matter if your doing the speed limit, or even 20 miles an hour over the speed limit. If you are holding up traffic GET OVER! It amazes me how many people will get on the freeway and automatically just move over to the far left lane, even if there is no other traffic on the road! I have been coming home on I5 and seen just 10 cars on the road, All of them in the left lane. Its insanity

Next one is how hard is the "on ramp" concept? At the end of this long sweep is the FREEWAY where people are likely going 60 ish MPH. Why would you not attempt to accelerate to, oh I dont know, The speed people are likely traveling on the freeway? It is nuts how many people are going 40 miles an hour at the end of the on ramp. Do you not know what to expect? Do you fail to grasp the concept of a freeway? People just assume that you will let them in, even though your doing 60 and they are doing 40. The traffic on the freeway has no obligation to make room for you. It is your obligation to MERGE at a safe speed, which happens to be the speed everything else is moving, And you are required to YIELD to traffic on the freeway, they are not required to yield for you. Dont pull out on to the freeway doing 40, Your going to end up causing a wreck. If you cant get your rig up to 60 by the end of the on ramp you shouldn't be on the freeway.

Ok, next. When there are two lanes coming into an exit that merge into one the proper etiquette is one car from each lane. Dont try and force your self in the deluded notion that you are somehow now one car length ahead. What you are is a jackwagon who thinks your more important than everyone else. Same thing goes for when there is a line of cars waiting to take an exit or turn and you race up and cut them off. You might think your clever, everyone else just hates you. Have enough respect for your fellow man to wait like everyone else. You are not a special privileged snowflake able to push the world around to suit your needs.

Ok..... I feel better. Now I am going to go play with my dogs a bit and enjoy the fact I am wont be back in the car till tomorrow :)

What are your pet peeves?

I know how you feel regarding the driving habits of others.

I see it all the time. It is apparently human nature. Everybody has to get into the leftmost lane, no matter what their speed. Some places, like between Woodburn and Salem, the fast lane is the right most lane because it is empty with everybody else being in the left most lane. I take advantage of that.

Then there are the lane shoppers and the tailgaters and the racers (the people who race from light to light).

It is like nobody can observe and learn.

It is like it is this big competition - don't let anybody get in front of you, do whatever you can to cut in front of them.

I have encountered the bad drivers who don't know that they are supposed to speed up or slow down to merge with traffic as they enter the highway, they think everybody is supposed to slow down for them instead.

I really think its a result of poor training and enforcement. If I was a state cop I would spend at least one day a week doing nothing but pulling over people in the left lane.

Self seeking, self centered people with no spacial awareness.
(Which sums up your first post)

To get right down to it, stupidity irks me - especially selfish intentional stupidity.

Incompetence irks me too. I encounter this at work. I consider myself average at what I do. I have worked with people who are smarter and better at my profession than I am, so over the decades I have learned from them, and I know I am about average. I am continually trying to improve and do the best I can, but there are people that are better, a lot better.

There are also people who are worse, and in my current gig, I seem to be surrounded by them. Very few people there are better (at least that I have encountered), and those that are usually move on to better jobs, so I seem to be stuck with people who at best are mediocre, and who at worst are more of a hindrance than a help.

So that is frustrating.

What is also frustrating is that while I am sure that my work is recognized as good, and better than most, that while I stepped up to the plate when someone left, and took on additional responsibility and showed that I was up to the challenge, not one single person above me has said "good job" or in any way showed true recognition of my performance.

The prevailing attitude there is that they can replace anybody in my type of position with someone else they hire off the street. They simply don't care about retention of their performers. If you perform above average, then great, if you don't then that is okay too. If you leave, there are 10 others waiting to fill your spot and they don't care whether that person will do the job well or be completely incompetent.
------

Outside of the workplace, when I pay someone for a service or product, I expect to get what I pay for, what I ask for. It irks me when I don't, and it is often because of a mixture of not just incompetence, but also laziness and an uncaring attitude.

I ran the I5 corridor for about 30 years so no sympathy from me,sorry.I don't go back so I don't get pissed at the drivers
My Pet peeve is the 'Sequim Parade' The old folks,usually from Orange Co CA,drive up and down Washington st at about 10mph.
Then the traffic light at the freeway takes forever to hit the turn signal.Making me wait like 3-4 minutes for a turn light........ Oh wait they fixed that.
It takes 15 minutes to get to the shooting pit?

My biggest irk is the pussifacation of the American male in commercial advertizing.
Every tv ad that I see nowadays, shows some poor sqib of a man being chastised by his wife for coming up short in his decisions, or by just being a male he's totally clueless and needs to be reminded of this fact.

Last Edited:
The shrinking ice sheet in Greenland but pretty Global Warming in general. The World news sometimes if do not see someone in a third world using a FAL in some skirmish. I would say over all those are the top of my list.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top