JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Once I could have rattled off a list, then I started watching the "Professor of Rock" on YouTube. I found out that I had forgotten more than I thought I ever knew.

Go here: https://www.youtube.com/@ProfessorofRock

Start watching videos, then spend a lot of time at thrift stores trying to locate what you can't find elsewhere.

An example

Jefferson Starship "Earth" was good listening. Lead singer Gracie Slick has a strong melodious voice, and there was some good instrumental work as well. I don't remember there being a back track on that album.

LOL I'm the last one to give advise on this.

I have 2700 LP's 95% are classic rock
I have over 600 CD's 80% are classic rock
I have 450 Cassettes over 95% are classic rock
I have 250 7" reel to reel tapes 95% are classic rock.

I would be lucky to give you a list of 50 bands I like.

Buy what you listened to in High school and college age you will most likely enjoy them the most.

LOL I'm the last one to give advise on this.

I have 2700 LP's 95% are classic rock
I have over 600 CD's 80% are classic rock
I have 450 Cassettes over 95% are classic rock
I have 250 7" reel to reel tapes 95% are classic rock.

I would be lucky to give you a list of 50 bands I like.

Buy what you listened to in High school and college age you will most likely enjoy them the most.
My collection was digital. If I couldn't steal it, I couldn't afford it. I still recall saving money for months to buy a USB card for my dad's computer just so I could actually put music on the MP3 player I got off eBay. I still have all of the music files saved here and there on various hard drives or MP3 players or cloud. I didn't keep CDs, cassettes were a footnote in my childhood. Music wasn't big in my house. I got into it as lots of millennials did, by stealing it via the numerous free datasharing websites. I'd say my collection is definitely small.

Fast forward to today, and streaming is starting to cost $$$ to get music. Or you get the same 5-6 songs on a loop on most stations with about 6 minutes of adds for every 2-3 songs. Targeted, precise, a little too close to comfort specific adds. iPods are dead, and streaming is king. Except the weird resurgence of records, there aren't many physical forms of music left.

Like many millennials, we are going back to our roots, being cheap and salvaging old records from antique and thrift shops, kind of like stealing but from dead boomers.

My collection was digital. If I couldn't steal it, I couldn't afford it. I still recall saving money for months to buy a USB card for my dad's computer just so I could actually put music on the MP3 player I got off eBay. I still have all of the music files saved here and there on various hard drives or MP3 players or cloud. I didn't keep CDs, cassettes were a footnote in my childhood. Music wasn't big in my house. I got into it as lots of millennials did, by stealing it via the numerous free datasharing websites. I'd say my collection is definitely small.

Fast forward to today, and streaming is starting to cost $$$ to get music. Or you get the same 5-6 songs on a loop on most stations with about 6 minutes of adds for every 2-3 songs. Targeted, precise, a little too close to comfort specific adds. iPods are dead, and streaming is king. Except the weird resurgence of records, there aren't many physical forms of music left.

Like many millennials, we are going back to our roots, being cheap and salvaging old records from antique and thrift shops, kind of like stealing but from dead boomers.
I have terrabytes of music on my NAS. The vast majority was ripped to FLAC from cd's in all genres. It's amazing how many are available almost free at thrift stores, and was also given dozens of free CD's buying gear on CL and having them thrown in. Virtually all of my classical collection was gofted to me when I bought a high end stand on CL that he threw in as part of the deal.

Got the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack and been playing it a lot. Great collection of songs on it.

a classic most have never heard of

Velvet_Underground_and_Nico.jpg

Thought this was super cool. Never seen a clear one before.

2669F321-8B2E-4272-A776-7A3932BD9CD6.jpeg

DEAD KENNEDYS; "In God We Trust Inc."
Black Flag: "Whose Got The 101/2"
Rush: "Exit...Stage Left"
Oingo Boingo: "Farewell, Live"
Rollins Band: Turned On"
Metallica: Master of Puppets" and "Ride the Lightning"

These, just for starters. And they should be listened to with the loudest speakers you can get with the most available clarity.
I like to feel the music impact my body , not just hear it
After years in the service and working around machinery, I can't think of a better way to ruin my hearing.

Iron Maiden - Killers and Number of the Beast
UFO - Strangers in the Night
Fishbone - The Reality of my Surroundings and Chim Chim's Bad A$$ Revenge
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny and Mutation and Secret Treaties
Rush - 2112
James Brown - Sex Machine
Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti and Zoot Allures
Allman Brothers Band - Live at the Fillmore East
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
Black Crows - Shake Your Money Maker
ZZ Top - Fandango and Tres Hombres
Rainbow - Rising and Long Live Rock and Roll
Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather and Unleashed in the East
Oingo Boingo - Only A Lad and Dead Man's Party
Neil Diamond - Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show

Gotta stop, I really could go on forever.

Latest acquisitions:

Lynard Skynyrd

Metallicas newest album.

Older Elvis Hawaiian album.

Alice in chains
Van morrison
Beattles
Alice cooper
Johnny cash
Eagles
Elton John

My dad at one time had a hell of a record collection but too many wives took a portion but I still got some really good ones and this is just a couple of random handfuls I just grabbed out of the bin And these are from the good old days not recent presses.

View attachment 1364414 View attachment 1364415
That is a good list..

I would add;
Rolling Stones from the 1970's
Neil Young
Patsy Cline
Creedence Clearwater Revival
James Brown
Lucinda Williams

Current artists I like are:
Chris Stapleton
Valerie June
Jason Isbell

Growing up my two favorite albums were AC/DC "Highway to Hell" and Rush "2112", but really there were too many honorable mentions to mention. Music from the mid 60s to the mid 80s was the best, it was so regular we took it for granted like it was never going to end, guess what...WRONG.

A couple I didn't see mentioned (or missed) Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" and Molly Hatchet "Flirtin' with Disaster"

ETA: Nazareth "Hair of the Dog"

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany