JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At least the RSO was on-point!

A guy up the street from me and a friend of his were at the range in the photo below. There are two distinct shelters which correspond to two distinct sets of target stands, but it is one range with no berm between the two zones. No one else was there and they went forward to check their targets. While downrange, they saw a guy show up at the other shelter and begin setting up. Before they could start heading back the guy loaded up and started shooting! They began yelling and waving their arms in the air and the guy just kept on firing. When they got back to the firing line they confronted the guy and asked him what the hell he was thinking and he replied that they were on one side and he was shooting on the other... Note the footbridge between the two zones!

View attachment 507386

Shoot back.

It's pretty easy to shake our heads or make jokes at such blatant safety violations but I guarantee for every video like this there are a hundred safety violators out there that fly under the radar.

At an indoor pistol range a few years ago I was on the bench behind the firing and safety line watching my friend take his turn in the lane. I looked over to my right and about ten feet away a man, also sitting on the bench, had his pistol pointed down the line (at me) and was fiddling with the pistol, magazines, and his range bag. I briskly walked over, pointed to the red line, and stated that if he wants to do anything with his firearm he needs to be on the firing line and the barrel has to be pointed down range. He looked stunned and then embarrassed as other people around looked at us.

Was his pistol loaded? Probably not. Was I willing to take that chance? No way.

The safety violators in the video did a really dumb thing...but it's important to remember that a bullet doesn't care if you're taking a selfie or putting your gun in the range bag. Once it leaves the barrel the results are the same.

Be safe everyone.

No I got the humor, it just reminded me of how shocked I have been several times when I would have someone quote me, and I would see some glaring typos. A couple times it looked like some kid or illiterate did it. I would think damn, need to pay attention better and laugh it off. It has happened a few times at work too. I will often play here while I am supposed to be working. Some times my multitasking skills are lacking when I see what I put up here. :)

My spell checker usually catches them for me, I sometimes have to use the spell check that goes with my email program to find the correct spelling if I don't already know the correct spelling. It's a small pain but I can live with it.:rolleyes:
Gabby

A guy up the street from me and a friend of his were at the range in the photo below. There are two distinct shelters which correspond to two distinct sets of target stands, but it is one range with no berm between the two zones. No one else was there and they went forward to check their targets. While downrange, they saw a guy show up at the other shelter and begin setting up. Before they could start heading back the guy loaded up and started shooting! They began yelling and waving their arms in the air and the guy just kept on firing. When they got back to the firing line they confronted the guy and asked him what the hell he was thinking and he replied that they were on one side and he was shooting on the other... Note the footbridge between the two zones!

Did they kick the crap out of him?

View attachment 507386

When a foreign student on our range turned around with a Sterling, my buddy Sandy, standing beside him at the next firing point, butt-stroked him into tomorrow. That stude was very lucky - a few years before Sandy had dropped another guy who tried the same thing with a shot to the back of the knee.

Fail to check your set screw on the trigger of your rifle....this can result in a super light trigger pull.
When I do my displays , it seems as if there is one person , who simply can not resist , playing the set screw , even after being asked / told not too....

DSC06026.jpg
The set screw is seen here , between the two triggers...on guns with a set trigger , if unset , you use the front trigger and it has a trigger pull in pounds...if you set the trigger , by first pulling the rear trigger , you now have a lighter trigger pull.
Many original guns need to have the trigger set first , before you can shoot...
Andy

Andy, do you use one of those special cranked screwdrivers to get to that screw? Y'know, the offset type you use to turn screws under overhanging components? The reason I ask is because I found such a tool on a junk stall in Ely market a couple of years back, it looked like a mushroom head with a very short shank. The knob, you can't call it a handle, was made of lignum vitae with a screw-top set in it like an old-style boy scout sheath knife. It was plainly very old, but I passed it by because of the stupid price he was asking. If I should see it there again, is it something that might interest you? I could bring it over.

Last Edited:
Andy, do you use one of those special cranked screwdrivers to get to that screw? Y'know, the offset type you use to turn screws under overhanging components?
At times I do...it depends on the size of the trigger guard...the Southgate rifle ( pictured ) and my Hawken have large enough trigger guards ,that I do not need a offset turnscrew.
Andy

View attachment 507386

Da*n poor range design if you ask me, not to excuse the moron, but I can see how someone with half a brain might think it was OK.
A heavy berm between the 2 would do it.
Sportsman's park range at Grants Pass is done that way, no mistakes that way.
Gabby

View attachment 507386

Sounds like they both broke the rules pretty bad...

1. Even if you are at a range alone: ALWAYS turn on the ceasefire alarms before you cross that firing line! (unless under special circumstances where the range is closed for a guided event happening down range, etc where there are people to make sure nobody is allowed to fire from the shelters.)

But if range is normally open while you are there and you need to check your targets...turn the alarm on!!!

2. If you're yelling and waving arms and they don't turn on the alarms and call an emergency cease fire, and they continue to discharge their weapon: they need their membership revoked immediately and them ejected from the range as they are a threat to everyone's safety at the range and have proven they can't be trusted with a firearm unsupervised.

Not sure all ranges do this but the range I am a member at is an unsupervised range. But in order to have membership you MUST attend a range safety meeting where they go over all the rules and what to do in situations like this, etc.. And they require all members to attend a safety meeting every 3 years of membership to make sure you're up to date on the rules.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top