JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
An emerging trend in these arts, to teach directly from the period texts, is relatively recent, and was started about 15 years ago. Essentially...recreating an fighting art dead for centuries. The result is so totally different than the exaggerated choregraphy seen at dinner theaters and I suppose renaissance fairs.

Keith

Yup. I never found much point in rapier fencing. It's great exercise, I'm sure it's fun. But it was only practical in a duel.

With my limited knowledge on the subject, Conan the Barbarian (movie) was probably the closest thing to actual sword art seen in film.

The highlander was a joke. But the real stuff is amazing, and has it's similaritieis to the famed martial arts of the east.

I just showered the sweat off from 1.5 hours of muay Thai at a local fight gym. I'm getting a little old for full bore Thai boxing, but it sure gets me into a smaller pant size quick.

I've done Aikido, Japanese juijistu, BJJ/mma, Arnis, 6 years of collegiate wrestling and a semster of Italian longsword. But Thai boxing is the thing I like the most and have stuck with it on and off for 20 years.

I studied a bunch of stuff, but mainly Kung Fu. And I got my *** kicked the first time I sparred with a friend who had studied Gracie style jiu-jitsu. :s0112:

UFC and the like has convinced me that most of the 'traditional' arts I loved aren't much use when so many fights end in a grapple on the ground.

8ball said:
...UFC and the like has convinced me that most of the 'traditional' arts I loved aren't much use when so many fights end in a grapple on the ground.
Working concerts and bars, with the occasional "altercation", convinced me that rolling on the ground is fine if it's 1:1 or for sport in the cage. But in many situations it puts heads in easy "punting" range for the participant-observers, AKA "his buddies."

I studied a bunch of stuff, but mainly Kung Fu. And I got my *** kicked the first time I sparred with a friend who had studied Gracie style jiu-jitsu. :s0112:

UFC and the like has convinced me that most of the 'traditional' arts I loved aren't much use when so many fights end in a grapple on the ground.

Just depends on how good you are at what you do IMO. Chances are you wouldn't perform a technique 100% as taught on the mat, but you can always take pieces.

But in terms of pure self defense I'd say Krav Maga looks the best. But you wouldn't take that into an UFC fight because people would leave snapped arms, knees, ect (well more often..)

I was a wrestler in my youth, my muscles still remember most of it. A little judo and karate. Get in close and take the opponent down to the ground. Then start to dismantle them. Still practice with my 23 year old. He can take me, I'd have to hurt him to win. But with the right holds I can hold my own. If I can hold my own with a 6'5" 270# 23 year old I feel good about my ability with unarmed close combat.

Of course if I have to stand off from an opponent the next resort is to gunfu

Took about 4 years of Traditional Tae Kwon Do and a year of Shōbayashi Shōrin-ryu, one of the older (possibly first :s0092: ) forms of Okinawan Karate, which is an older version of and inspired the more popular Shotokan Karate.

I agree that having a good sense of what to do on the ground is a good thing as a majority of fights end up there. But my goal is to avoid getting on the ground in the first place and end it sooner with well placed strikes. If his buddies are there, I don't want to be on the ground while they jump in and start kicking me and as one person said earlier, punting my head.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top