Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What martial art do/have you practiced?

Discussion in 'Knives & Other Discussion' started by country boy, Oct 27, 2009.

1. country boy

country boy portland area Member

Hey everybody, just curious to see what kind of martial arts experience all the members here have. I myself am currently taking Krav Maga in Milwaukie, and have been doing so for about a year. What about everybody else?

2. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

Aikido is the only formal martial art I've practiced.. and I really am pretty new to it.

3. SavageGerbil

SavageGerbil Salem, OR Active Member

I always wanted to learn some, but my back has degraded so far that I'm stuck studying the ancient arts of hitting people with my car, throwing bricks and drawing my firearm. Also have a high proficiency of "Sock full of quarters-fu".

4. bmw2

bmw2 Mount Vernon, Wa Active Member

9 years of Judo. I think any art with a tournament structure is key, you learn more and get more used to a confrontational situation when you can fight someone you don't know and practice with.

5. Platt05

Platt05 Washington Member

I practice an drunken Irish martial art called Fickyew, it mostly involves biting and kicking when the other person is down.

6. doobee8

doobee8 Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

GUN-FOO with emphasis on the lockednloaded-style!

All kidding aside-- HAP KI DO 3-years.

7. country boy

Yes, that could be a good thing. But I think that the rules of tournament fighting can condition you to pick up bad habits such as high round kicks. High round kicks may be good for scoring points, but IMO it wouldn't be wise in a street fight with no rules because it leaves your groin wide open for an unpleasant experience :stretcher: but any martial art is better than being helpless.

8. odiesplace97301

odiesplace97301 silverton area Member

Aikido, a little jist and judo in the past. now its ching,ching pow

9. JUSTIficatioN

JUSTIficatioN Seattle, Wa Member

I took a few years of Tae Kwon Do, went around to a few schools as part of demonstration team... of course this was all from the ages of 10 to 13 :)

10. wavo

wavo Portland Member

+1 on the Krav Maga in Milwaukie. Been taking it for 2 years. Love it.

11. bmw2

bmw2 Mount Vernon, Wa Active Member

I hadn't considered that, we don't do a lot of high kicks in a judo tournament:D but you have a point. Hardest part for me is not using some of the moves our coaches teach us for self defense, in a tournament(they're not all allowed).

12. country boy

I can imagine.

13. tkdguy

tkdguy Portland, Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I've done both traditional and olympic style tae kwon do having attained the rank of third degree black belt. During my preparation for the 1st I extracted several techniques from tutors in mixed martial arts, aikido, karate and kickboxing. I did the same for the second and third. Most of what I do is stand up but have learned to and teach the application of standing techniques to ground fighting.

14. beavernation1

beavernation1 Salem Member

I have just started Krav Maga a month ago and love it!!

15. wavo

wavo Portland Member

Nice to see all these fellow Kravers here!

16. hm1ing

hm1ing 97051 Member

I started young with Judo, then went into Tae Kwon Do doing forms & competition, moving to Aikido after having 2 disc in my back removed (not from martial arts) from helping Patients in a Hospital. I find a blend of them all using bare hand / throws and weapons, is journey well traveled.

17. hm1ing

hm1ing 97051 Member

I started young with Judo, then went into Tae Kwon Do doing forms & competition, moving to Aikido after having 2 disc in my back removed (not from martial arts) from helping Patients in a Hospital. I find a blend of them all using bare hand / throws and weapons, is journey well traveled. :thumbup:

18. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Seven years of concurrent Jujitsu and Kempo Karate. About a year of Kenjutsu. Now studying 13th to 16th century Germanic Longsword ... which is surprisingly very similar to eastern sword arts, not hack and slash at all.

Keith

19. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

I've seen videos displaying the art of the sword (in Germany) and it's very impressive.

20. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

An emerging trend in these arts, to teach directly from the period texts, is relatively recent, and was started about 15 years ago. Essentially...recreating an fighting art dead for centuries. The result is so totally different than the exaggerated choregraphy seen at dinner theaters and I suppose renaissance fairs.

Keith