JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I always wanted to learn some, but my back has degraded so far that I'm stuck studying the ancient arts of hitting people with my car, throwing bricks and drawing my firearm. Also have a high proficiency of "Sock full of quarters-fu".

9 years of Judo. I think any art with a tournament structure is key, you learn more and get more used to a confrontational situation when you can fight someone you don't know and practice with.

I think any art with a tournament structure is key, you learn more and get more used to a confrontational situation when you can fight someone you don't know and practice with.

Yes, that could be a good thing. But I think that the rules of tournament fighting can condition you to pick up bad habits such as high round kicks. High round kicks may be good for scoring points, but IMO it wouldn't be wise in a street fight with no rules because it leaves your groin wide open for an unpleasant experience :s0039: but any martial art is better than being helpless.

Yes, that could be a good thing. But I think that the rules of tournament fighting can condition you to pick up bad habits such as high round kicks. High round kicks may be good for scoring points, but IMO it wouldn't be wise in a street fight with no rules because it leaves your groin wide open for an unpleasant experience :s0039: but any martial art is better than being helpless.

I hadn't considered that, we don't do a lot of high kicks in a judo tournament:D but you have a point. Hardest part for me is not using some of the moves our coaches teach us for self defense, in a tournament(they're not all allowed).

I've done both traditional and olympic style tae kwon do having attained the rank of third degree black belt. During my preparation for the 1st I extracted several techniques from tutors in mixed martial arts, aikido, karate and kickboxing. I did the same for the second and third. Most of what I do is stand up but have learned to and teach the application of standing techniques to ground fighting.

I started young with Judo, then went into Tae Kwon Do doing forms & competition, moving to Aikido after having 2 disc in my back removed (not from martial arts) from helping Patients in a Hospital. I find a blend of them all using bare hand / throws and weapons, is journey well traveled.

I started young with Judo, then went into Tae Kwon Do doing forms & competition, moving to Aikido after having 2 disc in my back removed (not from martial arts) from helping Patients in a Hospital. I find a blend of them all using bare hand / throws and weapons, is journey well traveled. :s0155:

Seven years of concurrent Jujitsu and Kempo Karate. About a year of Kenjutsu. Now studying 13th to 16th century Germanic Longsword ... which is surprisingly very similar to eastern sword arts, not hack and slash at all.

Keith

Seven years of concurrent Jujitsu and Kempo Karate. About a year of Kenjutsu. Now studying 13th to 16th century Germanic Longsword ... which is surprisingly very similar to eastern sword arts, not hack and slash at all.

Keith

I've seen videos displaying the art of the sword (in Germany) and it's very impressive.

I've seen videos displaying the art of the sword (in Germany) and it's very impressive.

An emerging trend in these arts, to teach directly from the period texts, is relatively recent, and was started about 15 years ago. Essentially...recreating an fighting art dead for centuries. The result is so totally different than the exaggerated choregraphy seen at dinner theaters and I suppose renaissance fairs.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads