JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What kinds of holsters do you all like and use?

I have several leathers made by Mernickle and Blocker and others. Also a couple of pancake style ballistic nylon by Uncle Mike's. I like the Uncle Mike's for my S&W 57 N frame when I'm hiking and hunting. Nice and tight with no sag. Of course a good belt makes a heck of a difference. Actually, a good belt is critical to good carry.

I've looked at El Paso holsters and like the looks, but have not [urchased one yet.

I've a number of cheap leather, etc. that reside in a box 'cause their not worth a darn. Next garage sale, they're gone!

I've never tried a Kydex or the like. Space age composites throw me.

So, what do you all like?

I've been using the Alien Gear Holsters for all of my CCW since the Cloak Tuck came out... so about 7 years? Never had an issue.

I recently acquired a George Lawrence and for the past week have been rocking my Colt Trooper.

I've been using mostly Galco for many years. I consider them a bargain for their quality and fit. Whenever I look at a new sidearm, the first thing I do is check what holsters Galco makes for it.

Holsters are a lot like firearms and calibers in that one must define the intended use before a logical preference can be made. There are Hunting/field, Duty/Service, CCW, Western, probably some I'm leaving out and even those can broken into subsections, CCW alone you got three major types OWB, IWB, AIWB and that is just belt carry.

Some of my preferences:

Hunting/field - I like my Murray Hunter holster, it is a unique combination of a flap holster to protect the weapon and a thumb break for fairly rapid access. It is made of heavy duty saddle leather and is one tough rig. It can be worn cross draw, which I prefer on horseback, or strong side with a slight reverse cant. The new ones have a shoulder holster attachment feature, mine is an older one and is belt carry only (fine by me).

Duty/Service - It is beyond me why anyone would consider anything but a Safariland 6000 and/or 7000 series.

CCW - Kydex AIWB: Dale Fricke Archangel & Dark Star Gear, IWB/OWB: Raven Concealment, I'll be giving their AIWB a shot too.
Leather IWB/OWB: Kramer & Milt Sparks

Western - I've only drooled in this department so I can say for sure what I like.

So I got ask, what type of holster are you looking for?

Last Edited:
Glock 17 OWB
Insanely comfortable
Made by Ryan @ORYGUNHolsterCompany
IMG_2618.JPG

Also made by Ryan, OWB and IWB leather/kydex hybrid
IMG_1977.JPG IMG_1976.JPG

Holsters are like pocket knives which sort of pick you instead of you picking it.
One day you realize you are using the same one all the time.
By now you likely have a drawer full of spent money you will never recoup.

What kinds of holsters do you all like and use?

I have several leathers made by Mernickle and Blocker and others. Also a couple of pancake style ballistic nylon by Uncle Mike's. I like the Uncle Mike's for my S&W 57 N frame when I'm hiking and hunting. Nice and tight with no sag. Of course a good belt makes a heck of a difference. Actually, a good belt is critical to good carry.

I've looked at El Paso holsters and like the looks, but have not [urchased one yet.

I've a number of cheap leather, etc. that reside in a box 'cause their not worth a darn. Next garage sale, they're gone!

I've never tried a Kydex or the like. Space age composites throw me.

So, what do you all like?
Let me know about your garage sale. I like cheap, flexible, leather holsters.

I have both leather OWB (Crossbreed) and high quality ($110.00/10 years ago) OWB Boltaron holsters (Hillman Holsters) that have that super retention, plus great body hugging concealment.

Leather is much quieter when drawing. Kydex or boltaron have better retention over leather, but when drawing the pistol out they make a clicking noise that I don't like.

Preferance: Kydex or Boltaron

I've been using mostly Galco for many years. I consider them a bargain for their quality and fit. Whenever I look at a new sidearm, the first thing I do is check what holsters Galco makes for it.

I have Galco leather for my Jframe and my Model 28 came with a George Lawrence Challenger field holster which I think was pretty good leather in its day. I went with Vedder kydex for my 9mm

I would not hesitate to recommend Galco, I think they are at the top of the leather production game, in order to ratchet it up a notch you need to get into smaller, custom and semi-custom and that comes with added price and/or crazy lead times. Kramer is the only I'm aware that balances all three.

I like the El Paso "Tom Threepersons " design best of all.
Everyone that I have owned worked well and lasted forever.
That said...
A couple of years ago I was gifted a Kydex holster made by Ryan @ ORYGUNHOLSTER COMPANY...and its the "Cats Meow"...I never really was a fan of Kydex holsters , until this one.
Andy

I have both leather OWB (Crossbreed) and high quality ($110.00/10 years ago) OWB Boltaron holsters (Hillman Holsters) that have that super retention, plus great body hugging concealment.

Leather is much quieter when drawing. Kydex or boltaron have better retention over leather, but when drawing the pistol out they make a clicking noise that I don't like.

Preferance: Kydex or Boltaron

Perhaps if are comparing those two holster but that is bit of a broad stroke, especially the highlighted part. A proper boned leather holster both will retain a weapon very well and click.

In my experience it takes at least one small box of various holsters to find the type you like.

Galco, Bianchi and Blackhawk leather from the big commercial houses, a couple custom made including a Milt Sparks, as well as kydex.

For 1911's or revolvers, I prefer leather. For polymer guns, prefer kydex. All are IWB, it's the only way I roll...

I really like my leather Alien Gear holsters myself. I have one that is over 4 years old now with no problems. I had to tighten the screws a a few times over the years and do a monthly check if any screws need to be tighten. I also have a Cloak Tuck which is not leather that I use to do yard work.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top