JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Where do you fit in (multiple options)

• Have a degree

Votes: 111 62.4%
  • Student

Votes: 29 16.3%
  • Military Veteran (life experience)

Votes: 53 29.8%
  • I've been working a job my whole life (life experience)

Votes: 67 37.6%

• Total voters
Associate Science of Oregon Transfer - Business
Bachelor Science of Business Administration option in Management
Currently working on Bachelor Science in Food Science and Technology with a minor in chemistry

Have had odd jobs that paid the bills, still don't know what I want to do.?.?.
Just easier to be a student and have a fun time in College at Oregon State University.

For the BS degree About $3600 ( School fees/ tuition. and books only)

My son who graduated with a BS in Business in about 1995 cost about $5000 - Nice living in a state where they had lots of oil and refineries that helped fund education and keep tuition low.

Associates in Computer Science. Bachelor's in Political Science and Paralegal. A dozen years in the insurance industry and now a Federal employee working IT security for the military. I keep thinking I should use my benefits for a MA, but I don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

BS in Finance and MBA both from PSU. Probly close to $40k on tuition and books, but used the PAYGO system so I graduated with zero debt (no student loans, car loans, mortgages, or credit cards) unlike the whiny 99 percenters that...ah never mind-I can't talk cuz I was a fat cat banker too, so I don't know what its like.

BS Industrial Technology. I basically needed a Bachelors degree of some sort to do the sort of sales and marketing management that I wanted to do, and Industrial Technology seemed more interesting that most fields. But I've never worked in manufacturing, just sales and marketing. These days a Bachelors degree doesn't seem to be as much of a requirement as it used to be.

B.S. in Health Information Science. I started in Computer Science but switched (mid 80's) when I was overwhelmed by student loans, and at the time it seemed that learning to prove A * 0 = 0 (Linear Algebra) was a useless endeavor.

Peter

Two years community college while working to save up money for university.
Two years private university - Aerospace Engineering major, was in Air Force ROTC. Didn't get enough financial aid, ran out of money, dropped out. (The years I went, Air Force ROTC only gave out one "non-traditional" scholarship - I wasn't it.)
Two more years on-and-off state university while working thinking I'd go back.
Finally figured out that I could make enough money in a different industry, so I've been working in that industry since. Ran my own company for about 10 years, to a high of five employees, before bad timing on my part combined with the bad economy to kill it. Working for a good company now.

Sounds like one issue is half life of your education - How long is your education relevant until you need additional education
My memory is not as good - but here are some I think I remember:
Computer Science - 1 - 2 years ( So their technology is constantly changing
Civil Engineering ( Public Sector Driven)- 10 years
Electrical Engineering - 4-5 year
Engineering in general was about 4-5 years
Business / Finance: 8 years
Social Sciences and liberal arts: when they leave college they are already behind the ball.

Which kinda says a couple of things:
1. Not everyone needs a degree - in fact many of the jobs created are skilled labor
2. There is Risk And The evolution Indentured Servitude due to Student Loans. ie: The payback for most college degrees is not there for general liberal arts type programs.

So, how much did yall pay for that education? How much do you still owe??

jj

I do not recall the exact cost of my education -- I graduated in 1995 from UC Davis; I figure the total cost was roughly $25k. I think I had roughly $10k in loans when I finished, a little bit of credit card debt. I worked my way though college and took as few loans as possible. Paid off all debt ASAP.

DJM

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads