JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Where do you fit in (multiple options)

• Have a degree

Votes: 111 62.4%
  • Student

Votes: 29 16.3%
  • Military Veteran (life experience)

Votes: 53 29.8%
  • I've been working a job my whole life (life experience)

Votes: 67 37.6%

• Total voters
Sounds like one issue is half life of your education - How long is your education relevant until you need additional education
My memory is not as good - but here are some I think I remember:
Computer Science - 1 - 2 years ( So their technology is constantly changing
Civil Engineering ( Public Sector Driven)- 10 years
Electrical Engineering - 4-5 year
Engineering in general was about 4-5 years
Business / Finance: 8 years
Social Sciences and liberal arts: when they leave college they are already behind the ball.

Which kinda says a couple of things:
1. Not everyone needs a degree - in fact many of the jobs created are skilled labor
2. There is Risk And The evolution Indentured Servitude due to Student Loans. ie: The payback for most college degrees is not there for general liberal arts type programs.

I am a SW engineer and while you are correct in pointing out that technology changes very fast, keep up on technology does not require additional formal education. The "science" of creating software does not change -- sometimes we use different tools.

Regarding liberal arts degrees: You are spot on here. I know many, far too many people with 4-5 years lib arts degrees in English/cultural anthro/philosophy that cost them and their familes *way* over $100,000. Much of that was financed via loans and even worse through second mortgages on mom and dad's house. Many of these folks are unemployed/under employed -- several work at cafe's slinging coffee for min wage. ouch.

What I'd like to see, and perhaps a bit of a pipe dream, is the return of skilled labor being taught at jr. high school, high school. Even better would be to adopt the formalized 4 year apprenticeship program such as in Germany.

Best,
DJM

I would agree that we need the apprenticeship type programs and more skills jobs.

Not sure automechanics would be a key one like theold days - Have a nephew with lots of automotive training - but the only thing the new guys get to do is change oil. So now he is a welder working tons of overtime.

However, Germany - while it has had a good program - Their employment system is entirely different. I think employers and employees need to give like 6 months notice to leave a job. Reluctant to hire permanent because of that.

But the issue is: People view many of the jobs as a dirty job and difficult getting people to sign up. There are companies out there right nw looking for skilled welders - particularly those experience in clean room requirements.

What I'd like to see, and perhaps a bit of a pipe dream, is the return of skilled labor being taught at jr. high school, high school. Even better would be to adopt the formalized 4 year apprenticeship program such as in Germany.

Best,
DJM

I wish my 20 years in the Army as a mechanic in the Engineer corp was recognized by the civilian labor force, all you get is a DD214 and a thankyou letter, no trade certificate,no apprentiship,no job..A friend of mine was a navy corpman for 8 years and did 2 two tours in the gulf with the marines,after he got out all he could do was draw blood, he had to go to school for 6 years to do the exact same thing he did in the Navy "go figure"

8-yrs. U.S. Army... I earned several PhDs in B.S.

I now hold an electrical license and a Class-5 boiler/pressure vessel license, as well as a minimum of 24 classroom hours per year in continuing education to keep up on current/evolving codes. This keeps me gainfully employed in a nice six-figure profession, and I didn't get stuck with rediculous amounts in student loans only to wind up an over educated, indebted barrista or busboy.

No offense to over educated barristas or busboys. ;)

When I got my degree it seemed necessary for the types of management jobs I wanted. These days I try to talk kids out of going to college unless they really know what they want to do. Much better off going to tech school or specializing in a real trade.

Started working at my dads semi truck shop at 10, started getting paid at 12, he shut down his shop to be the mechanic for a barkdust blowing company, I kept working at that shop, got hired "on the books" at 16, full time at 17 (graduated HS), worked there till it went down hill, paved for a while, logged for a while (favorite job), now working for a Railroad contractor, November was 2 years there, I'll probably retire from here. Great benifits, small company (although international) and great bonuses 3 times a year. Only school was K-12 and learning from my dad.

started working for my uncle at 12 in construction doing cleanup and some framing through high school, got out of school and joined the National Guard in 93 and started full time in 98. been there ever since. I retire in 5 years and by then will have a BS in BA. Then off to figure out what I will do when I grow up.

BA in Psychology
Journeyman Electrician
Journeyman Metering Tech
Journeyman Instrument Tech
Journeyman Control Tech
Electronics Tech 1st Class USN (Nuclear Weapons Systems, Nuclear subs)
1st Class FCC License
USCG Operator's license (fishing guide)
Owned my own marina
30 years in electric utility industry
Currently:
Computer Systems Administrator
Farmer (sheep)

Major in commuications (Photo journalism) Minor in Native American studys. Pacific Northwest Indians
BA in BS.
Went back to farming. Like cows better then people.

If you go out to your herd and yell out, "how now blonde cow!" my ex-wife may raise her head up. If you see her do that russle a twenty dollar bill and she'll come a runnin' after it. Take my advise and do this because she WILL dumb down the rest of the herd, maybe even spread mad-cow disease! ;) (yes, immature... I know)

Six years, United States Marine Corps (Combat Engineer, Marksmanship Instructor)
Five years, Oregon National Guard (Infantry)
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science and International Studies, University of Oregon.
Six and a half years as a parole and probation officer.
Five years teaching English in South Korea and Japan.
Currently working in a hospital.

I would agree that we need the apprenticeship type programs and more skills jobs.

Not sure automechanics would be a key one like theold days - Have a nephew with lots of automotive training - but the only thing the new guys get to do is change oil. So now he is a welder working tons of overtime.

However, Germany - while it has had a good program - Their employment system is entirely different. I think employers and employees need to give like 6 months notice to leave a job. Reluctant to hire permanent because of that.

But the issue is: People view many of the jobs as a dirty job and difficult getting people to sign up. There are companies out there right nw looking for skilled welders - particularly those experience in clean room requirements.

Regarding Germany's work law: I lived and worked in Germany for 3 years and I am married to a German citizen. In Germany the employer and employee must give 90 days notice upon quitting/termination. The company may dismiss you during that time, with the remainder of your 90 days of pay if they choose. All employees are on a 6 months trial basis -- hence your assertion that hiring is being stifled is erroneous. Additionally, Germany is a far less litigious society -- and since companies and employees are generally held to a higher standard than here is the US, there are less "disgruntled" former employees and employment law suits.

You are spot on about the welding: I pushed my own son to try this (he did and hated it); he is now working at a SW company. Like father like son...

Cheers,
DJM

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews